Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Normal to feel worse?
Normal to feel worse?
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and new to sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and started using a CPAP machine Monday night. 

Since then, I've felt even more exhausted and am having a hard time working and taking care of normally daily tasks, fuzzy brain, a bit cranky, no motivation -- basically all my previous complaints, but more intense. I did some reading on the forums and it seems like it can take a long time time to feel better, but I didn't see a lot about feeling worse so I thought I'd post here to see if others have gone through this, too. 

My results in the myAir app are excellent, 98-100 points each night. I also installed OSCAR and the amount of data there is overwhelming, but I think things look good. I can post some screenshots if it would help with only a few days usage.

I have a follow up appointment at the sleep clinic on Monday, but if anyone could share some reassurances in the meantime, I'd appreciate it!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Normal to feel worse?
Feel free to post some screenshots of your charts and close-ups of your flow rate. Please setup OSCAR according to the wiki article http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm one that has been on CPAP therapy now for over a year. I don't feel any worse, but I don't feel any better either. 

The MyAir numbers are good as well. I've had some 99's and such, but my downfall is having to get up during the night to use the restroom. 3-4 times a night is not uncommon. 

Anyways, from what I have learned, the therapy takes a while. Some respond faster than others. 

I saw my sleep doc in late Nov. I told him of my disappointment with the therapy. He didn't seem concerned, and told me to keep at it. He did tell me to remain complaint and that although I was meeting the requirements, he did advise me not to take a night off here and there. 

Bummer!  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope I did this right! I wasn't sure what to zoom in on for the flow rate, so I just looked for some activity.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! But I have to say, I'm not feeling very reassured. Too-funny Seriously though, sorry you haven't seen a lot of improvement yet - it sounds like you're due.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your min pressure is too low. Whenever the pressure goes up, your flow limitations and snoring decreases significantly. The erratic pressure changes are also probably causing arousals.

Is there any reason why you have set so low?
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
The person I dealt with at the sleep clinic did the initial setup so I'm not sure what the reasoning was, other than she mentioned that the 5-20 range was typical.

Do people typically adjust pressure on their own? What should my pressure be? I'm still in the 30-day trial phase, so I'm not sure if I should make changes on my own or wait until my next appointment. I have weekly appointment at the sleep clinic for the next month. 

Thanks for your help! I'm still trying to get a handle on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
They might be adjusting your pressure on Monday based off your data? Your pressure should probably be something around 8. If they don't adjust your pressure, it'd be interesting to hear why not.

Yes, people online often adjust their own pressure and other settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

A couple of changes if you could.

Set min pressure =7 not 5.  With EPR=3 the EPAP (Exhale) will start at 4 the IPAP (inhale) at 7

Additionally, I'd like you to try the "for Her" mode instead of the standard APAP mode.  This mode should better address the Flow Limit issues (maybe).  Try it and let us see.  

The snores are high for being on a CPAP machine and while not overly high the flow limits are consistent.  The goal is to give you a smoother pressure over the night without hurting the efficacy being provided,
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 03:25 PM)zooles Wrote: Thanks so much for sharing your experience! But I have to say, I'm not feeling very reassured. Too-funny Seriously though, sorry you haven't seen a lot of improvement yet - it sounds like you're due.

I'm not quite ready to give up on it as of yet. I'm shooting for two years of therapy, and if I don't feel any better, then I will have to make a decision. 

Until then, I'm doing my best and this forum is supportive.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 196 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 242 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 183 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 590 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.