Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Normal to sleep this much after starting CPAP?
Normal to sleep this much after starting CPAP?
I finally managed to get a good amount of sleep last night with my CPAP machine - a solid 7.5 hours.

The problem was, I felt pretty rested for a bit . . .then within 2 hours, I felt totally exhausted and an increasingly encompassing feeling of sleepiness. I ended up having to sleep some more and slept for another 3 hours. I felt very clear headed after that but I can already feel some level of fatigue creeping in, only a few hours after waking for the second time.

Is this just my body trying to catch up from apnea-related fatigue?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Normal to sleep this much after starting CPAP?
yep. same thing happened to me. the first week, was particularly bad for it... but I can go whole days without yawning now - on a good day. Something that never has happened before Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, this happened to me for a few months. Slept for a while with the mask, then took it off and sleep some more.
Post Reply Post Reply
yep. and different people have different results. I was still yawning and bleary-eyed for a few weeks, but gained energy, peace of mind, clarity, lack of confusion, anxiety, and anger. After a couple months of feeling refreshed, I am now craving sleep once again. It is just my body/brain going through the paces, making up for 5 plus years of sleep deprivation and crappy living. I refuse to live that way again.

If you get along for a while and still have symptoms of excessive sleepiness and things like crappy confused fuzzy headedness, then lets talk about your figures.

Now, go get whatever data you can that describes your sleep, like from EncoreBasic, ResScan, or Sleepyhead software. And keep track.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I slept a lot each night the first few weeks. It has tapered off to about 7-8.5 hrs each night. There are some nights, especially after a really physically exhausting day, when I can sleep for 9-10 hours - but that is the exception rather than the norm.

Give your body some time to adjust to sleeping without the "micro-waking" that sleep apnea causes. Your body needs to heal damaged cells and sleep is the best way to do that.

Keep on APAPing!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have days where I feel I can go back to sleep for a few hours and usually do. They are few and far between now, and I definitely have more energy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 206 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 156 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.