Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose Bleed
Nose Bleed
had a nosebleed this morning and still experiencing a little blood several hours later. I've read that nosebleeds with a C-Pap mask can be caused by low humidity. I have my humidity set at the highest level - 8 and the temperature at 82.  Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose Bleed
It can also be caused by too high a humidity.

You are using nasal pillows? Is this the first night you've used them?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
do you currently have a sinus problem or congestion?

Welcome.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using an Amara full face mask for a few months.   I haven't changed humidity or temperature settings since getting it. I was told to keep it at this setting after complaining of dry mouth.  I did have a cold last week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile says you use the Brevida.

If it is just one night and it has never happened before, there's probably nothing to be concerned about. You can use lanolin or Ayr nasal gel to help if needed. I don't know if lanolin can go INSIDE the nostril but Ayr gel is made to do that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
No on nose bleeding here, but I sometimes run a Vicks Warm Mist humidifier in bedroom to add humidity. I'm thinking it's a Vicks model V750 FWIW. I run my ASV humidifier at Manual 4-8 and heated hose on 86.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm one of those people who got a nosebleed from too high of humidity. Started happening towards the end of March and only cleared up a couple of weeks ago when I switched to lower humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reviving old thread: I'm at my wits end. I get bleeds no matter where my humidity is set and of late they have been really long ones... 1-3 hours. I went to the ED last night because my nose was running with blood, like a tap. Same tonight, but just did as they said I should... its been 3 hours now and is only just slowing down. The weird thi ng is, its not something which ever happened with my old machine (Respironics REmstar Auto) where i didnt even use the humidifier for a year or more, but with the new dreamstation, its happening at least weekly or more often.

Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
My son has had similar problems with nosebleeds and CPAP, like you his have been bad enough to warrant Emergency Room visits. Saline gel and Afrin can help (if you use Afrin don’t use it for long). Another thing that helped my son tremendously was adding humidifier and hepa air filter units to his bedroom. 

Finally if you keep having persistent nose bleeds ask them to send you to an ENT. The flow of pressurized air provided by a CPAP can make it difficult for the nose to heal. An ENT can cauterize the problematic spot in your nasal passage which will seal off the blood vessels.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to emphasize what ColoradoMom said -- see a doctor if you've been having persistent or prolonged nosebleeds. The procedure feels a little weird but doesn't hurt much -- in my case they painted it with silver nitrate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.