Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose Pillow Questions....
Nose Pillow Questions....
[ I had posted this on a previous post in an effort to keep my info on one file but I didn't realize that my questions would go to the end of the thread so I reposted... sorry for the clutter] 

Hi Folks,

I am considering changing over to a nasal pillow headpiece. 

I've been using my CPAP for a little more than a year and a half with a Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask attached to a Philips machine the entire time. I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the head-straps and have noted an increase in leakage, at least that is the impression I have. I usually start on my back and somewhere around early morning I start sleeping on my side. 

I am considering the Resmed airfit P30i with nasal Pillows to reduce the straps on my face and to reduce the leakage.

I noted the defuser on the nosepiece... I am told that these do not come off and the nose piece needs to be replaced 30 to 60 days... longer if cleaned to remove nose oils etc. Is that your experience? 

How often do you replace the nose pillow piece? 

I am bald... to those of you that are folicly challenged... does the top of the head attachment bother your scalp? the top hoses? I noted that there is a cloth piece on the side hoses but not on the top piece.

The supply hose... Hung above or strung below and back the end of the head of the bed?

I use a humidifier... has anyone had a negative experience with the combined nose-pillow/humidifier? 

Nose Pillows vs. Nose "Cradle". thoughts on one vs. the other?

What is your experience with keeping the headpiece in place?... I have read that those with a large head experience the headpiece not staying on. 

I appreciate any advise and comments you care to offer.

thank you,

Jim

PS... for the sake of consistency I have posted my latest chart from OSCAR. thanks >> JC

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose Pillow Questions....
I had a lot of problems with the mask slipping off my head during the night.  I bought this headgear from amazon and never had a problem again...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
We will allow your folly of posting separately this mask question. This is a good way to address some maintenance issue as otherwise it would be buried in your stack of stuff on the other thread. No penalty. Wink

OK now the questions to my best ability and in order.

The P30i is in my stack of mask bits. I have not worn it out because my therapy is on hold pending a medical need to change to bigger and better therapy and that the nasal nor the pillows hasn't been well suited to nose/mouth breathing Dave. So I don't know actual longevity of the cushion or the status of the diffuser. I think others that use a P10 might have to use a toothbrush to that diffuser, and I think that one is replaceable...maybe never used it though. I would think general lifespan of the cushion to be 6-12 months given that my F20 first cushion yellowed and became stiff before I replaced it at 14 months I think. 30 days?! At least 3 or more months I say. This gets us Q 1 and 2 I think.

I have more hair so this is N/A to me. No info to answer except passing on suggestion to look at Supplier #31 Pad A Cheek as they make strap covers that might help. Top o head attachment was not an issue for me when I tried my N/P30i that is both N and P versions. And circling back, if you like cloth covers like on the sides, see Supplier #31 as one seller.

Hose management: I need 1 still but until therapy resumes it remains as is. I say it is better to have hose holder to raise it over the head. I'd consider this routing, PAP lower than your bed, hose goes uphill to point of suspension by hose holder, and down a bit to your mask.

Humidifier and heated hose is a must for me with any mask I wear. Negatives abound if I do not use/have them.

Pillows, nasal, nasal cradle, no preference stated by me as again I've put very few miles on any. I think if I were to choose using, I liked positive seal of pillows but didn't care for the feel, nasal and cradle were OK, just not sold on them as I have far better success with full face, and much more now with recent Fisher & Paykel Vitera and Simplus full face.

I don't think my head is too big but others' opinions may differ. And I have hair to help keep headgear in place. A thought is maybe straps are too tight and causing sliding of headgear, just a maybe.

OSCAR shows treated by the numbers. I don't see evidence to change it. I would slip in if only on a ResMed...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim,
I'm going to delete that post in your other thread as it's identical.  And it's perfectly okay to start a new thread if a different topic... so all's good.   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use the P30i. The diffuser can easily be popped out and cleaned separately. I did it pretty regularly so that I could fit a soft toothbrush down inside the pillows, and also so I could brush the inside of the diffuser to clean it too. If you look carefully at the diffuser, you will see a little silicon lip just left of the diffuser. Pop the diffuser out from that side, and after cleaning pop it back in the same way. It sounds difficult, but is actually very easy to do.

Those masks lasted months for me. I never had one tear or have anything else happen to it. They are excellent nasal masks.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

Thank you for the feedback (and the penalty pass <grin>). I am sure I'm over thinking this as with just about everything else. 

I think I'm going to get a p301 and start my own bits box. The apparent "lightness" of the frame vs. what I currently have is appealing. as a general rule, according to my bride, I do not breath through my mouth although I know one or two folks that would differ and affirm that I am a mouth breather (I suspect it is for reasons other than how I sleep).

Ah Resmed.... my two brothers that are also receiving CPAP therapy have the Resmed and I am envious... next one... 

thanks for the quick check on the chart too!

talk to you soon,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Deborah, 

thank you for the tip on the defuser... it looked suspiciously like "planned obsolescence" until I saw your note. and thank you for the vote of confidence on them.... 

talk to you soon,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to add to your confusion, but you might wish to look at the F&P Brevida. The nose pillow is extremely pliable. As it warms to your body temperature, it will almost glue to your face. It has a removable diffuser as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes do look at the Fisher & Paykel mask line. I really like my full face Vitera and Simplus. Comfort, light, easy to get leak free, work well as side sleeper. Can't lose with the F&P IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.