Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose Rings and Nasal Pillows: Can They Live Happily Ever After?
Nose Rings and Nasal Pillows: Can They Live Happily Ever After?
Got a question that I can't really seem to find a solid answer for. Has anyone had experience with a nose ring and using nasal pillows? I just have the one nasal mask, and even though it's a small, it sits a little low on my upper lip so occasionally its bothersome, but nothing serious. I'm curious to try a nasal pillow mask in the future, but I wear a stud nose ring. If I take it out over night it will close so removing it's not an option.

Just curious if anyone else has tried nasal pillows with a nose ring stud.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose Rings and Nasal Pillows: Can They Live Happily Ever After?
how big is the back side of the post? unless it is perfectly flat, i would think it will interfere - ymmv.... i wouldn't dream of wearing a nose ring Too-funny I'm afraid that you are in the company of a bunch of grandparents... but there are grannies with noserings, and maybe this crowd is not as old as I think. lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 02:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote: how big is the back side of the post? unless it is perfectly flat, i would think it will interfere - ymmv.... i wouldn't dream of wearing a nose ring Too-funny I'm afraid that you are in the company of a bunch of grandparents... but there are grannies with noserings, and maybe this crowd is not as old as I think. lol.

Hahaha, thanks Tongue

The post is about a mm or so, so it's not far, but then again I'm not sure how far up those pillow go into your nostrils. lol.

And yeah, I'm quite a bit younger then most people I know of, or her of, getting diagnosed with sleep apnea. In fact, when I went to get my machine, it was mostly middle aged men in the office. lol. I'm 27 and female Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 02:25 PM)Amie87 Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 02:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote: how big is the back side of the post? unless it is perfectly flat, i would think it will interfere - ymmv.... i wouldn't dream of wearing a nose ring Too-funny I'm afraid that you are in the company of a bunch of grandparents... but there are grannies with noserings, and maybe this crowd is not as old as I think. lol.

Hahaha, thanks Tongue

The post is about a mm or so, so it's not far, but then again I'm not sure how far up those pillow go into your nostrils. lol.

And yeah, I'm quite a bit younger then most people I know of, or her of, getting diagnosed with sleep apnea. In fact, when I went to get my machine, it was mostly middle aged men in the office. lol. I'm 27 and female Tongue

yeah, my DME parceled out the machines in 3 hour sessions with groups of 6. The other 5 were guys; 2 under 50 the rest over 60.

I wish I had been diag at 27. I always had apnea... nightmares of choking, drowning, being buried... migraines as a teeny kid, getting up to pee (or b4 that, wetting bed - yuck) high morning blood sugars as soon as i began getting checked at 15, and likely well b4, stomach sleeper until pregnancy forced me to my side - NEVER slept on back, cannot breathe on back while awake, forget sleeping Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 02:11 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Got a question that I can't really seem to find a solid answer for. Has anyone had experience with a nose ring and using nasal pillows? I just have the one nasal mask, and even though it's a small, it sits a little low on my upper lip so occasionally its bothersome, but nothing serious. I'm curious to try a nasal pillow mask in the future, but I wear a stud nose ring. If I take it out over night it will close so removing it's not an option.

Just curious if anyone else has tried nasal pillows with a nose ring stud.

IMHO I would say no to pillows you need a good seal for pillows to be effective. To me a stud would not allow the seal with any head movement during the night. But like I said that is just MHO.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, give the Nuance a try. They don't go that far in but sit on the outside. If the stud can be placed all the way inside, the Nuance might work. But if it stays outside, then no, nose pillows won't work.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are a number of us who swear by the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows. I get a lot more sleep with them than I did with a nasal mask.

My question: Is your health worth giving up your nose ring?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 02:41 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ... high morning blood sugars as soon as i began getting checked at 15, and likely well b4...

With apologies for [Image: threadjacked.gif]

You had DM type 2 at age 15? Usually reserved for older folks... even called Adult Onset Diabetes by some.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 03:45 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 02:41 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ... high morning blood sugars as soon as i began getting checked at 15, and likely well b4...

With apologies for [Image: threadjacked.gif]

You had DM type 2 at age 15? Usually reserved for older folks... even called Adult Onset Diabetes by some.

my high blood sugars at 15 were not normal but did not qualify for a dmII diag. we are talking 120 tho, so today it probably would be. also, today, docs like to tell me to lose weight and i wont have dmII, but for my money it is the other way around, and at 15 i was 103 and 5'3". not quite obese Wink

also, my entire immediate family has dmII, altho I think I take the jackpot for getting it youngest.
Post Reply Post Reply
back to OP... I think you should visit your DME and try it out. I think you will know right away if they are going to touch... if they touch, I would assume it will interfere with the seal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,739 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 156 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 111 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,786 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,597 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 141 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.