Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Flow number
RE: Flow number
(01-29-2014, 11:02 PM)c0reDump Wrote:
(01-29-2014, 10:34 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Bladskinner, which brand and model mask are you using? There are ways to reduce leaks without tightening them too much.

I'd be interested in any tips you can pass along as well. I'm using the Quattro Air (medium) -- and trying to figure out how to remedy my leaks without over tightening too. I don't know if it is a mask issue or head gear problem. Seems the mask leaks when l tilt my head down, but when I tilt my head up there are no leaks but feels over tightened...

I use an F&P nasal mask but have had the same problem when tilting my head down. I reduced the problem by using my headgear as high on my head (and away from the back of my neck) as I could reasonably get it

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the Resmed Quattro full face medium and I am getting great AHI with no leaks these days but still a tight fit. I have gotten used to it and sleep thru the night. I have sense adjusted it high on the bridge of my nose with the bottom so close to my mouth that it holds my mouth shut. Due to the new location on my face I'm going to loosen the mask up tonight.
"Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections." ~Unknown
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2014, 11:02 PM)c0reDump Wrote: I'd be interested in any tips you can pass along as well. I'm using the Quattro Air (medium) -- and trying to figure out how to remedy my leaks without over tightening too. I don't know if it is a mask issue or head gear problem. Seems the mask leaks when l tilt my head down, but when I tilt my head up there are no leaks but feels over tightened...

Sorry, I think I missed this the other day, I use the same mask after using the Mirage Quattro for 2 years, you may need to try a chin strap even if your using a FFM to keep your chin and mouth up. Two things that help me with a FFM are mask liners which you can buy on line or make yourself and having the hose coming from above your head either over a bed head or you can buy a hose lift or make one yourself. Having it come from above your head pulls the mask up instead of down and saves you getting tangled.

Post Reply Post Reply
A discovery I made by accident helps me with my ffm journey. You can install the headgear upside down and get a new set of adjustments out of the situation. Also I use a size small quattro part of the time for when for who knows why the medium just wont seal. New liners always improve things as well requiring less cinching down. Helps as well when clearing a leak to slip.a finger between the mask and my face and "smooth" things. A tube type pillow of the right firmness and diameter allows you to roll to your side and rest your head comfortably without jostling the ffm out of whack. Having no leaks is vital to this therapy working as it is supposed to.
Post Reply Post Reply
A discovery I made by accident helps me with my ffm journey. You can install the headgear upside down and get a new set of adjustments out of the situation. Also I use a size small quattro part of the time for when for who knows why the medium just wont seal. New liners always improve things as well requiring less cinching down. Helps as well when clearing a leak to slip.a finger between the mask and my face and "smooth" things. A tube type pillow of the right firmness and diameter allows you to roll your side and rest your head comfortably without jostling the ffm out of whack. Having no leaks is vital to this therapy working as it is supposed to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the Medium Quattro Air too (besides an F10). My pressure runs 7 -14 most nights. I use a DIY mask liner. I also use a pretty hard memory foam pillow. I would suggest that you wear it in this fashion.
1) Put the mask on. Make sure the bottom of the mask sits in the crease below your lips and above your chin.
2) Adjust top straps to make sure the mask is centered on the face vertically.
3) Put the lower straps in.
4) Extend your lower jaw forward (as much as you possibly can).
5) Now adjust bottom straps just so that there is no play in the straps.
6) Now put on the hose by clicking the mask elbow in.
7) Lie down in your sleeping position.
8) Start the machine.
9) Lift the mask a bit off the face so that it can fully inflate. This inflated seal is what will stop the leaks when you move about in your sleep.
10) See if there are any leaks. If yes, then adjust top straps only to eliminate the leaks. You won't need to touch the bottom straps. They can and should stay as you left them in step 5.
11) If you are a side sleeper, assume the side sleeping position in one side. Dig into the pillow. If the mask leaks, adjust top straps again. Repeat this on the other side sleeping position.

And you are done! You follow this sequence for a week in a row and I am sure you will find the "zen" position.

I used this sequence with my Quattro Air last night and my leak rate was Average:1.04L/min, 95%: 5.0, %over: 0.00 and AHI of 0.0
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 53 8 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 51 9 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 454 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 142 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 143 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 133 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 234 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.