Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose congested
RE: Nose congested
(11-06-2019, 04:55 PM)Machine Wrote: I am 35, had my nose congested most of my life so i mostly breath with my mouth during day and night as well.

Could this be reason for Flow Limitations at night?

\

I have the same issue, no nose spray has worked for me, I have noticed that when my nose is really stuffed up, my mask leaks more (and looking at the sleepyhead graphs, the machine is pushing higher pressure) so I would say yes. What I found that works is using those flow right strips Those things you put on your nose that physically holds the nose open.  Let me know what you find out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Initially I tried several OTC products, I stayed away from Afrin like stuff, since I used it too much many years ago, twas a disaster, took several months to get over it. I settled on Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray. Yes it's prescription, but it works best for me, and our drug plan covers it. I do two sprays in each nostril each day. Have not experienced any congestion, unless fighting a cold, for quite a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking from personal experience: Get an appointment with an ENT doctor, before trying any of the OTC medications. There's a definite possibility that you have a physical condition causing the breathing issues. In my case the issue was nasal polyps that have been removed twice in a period of 15 years (the little buggers have a tendency to grow back).

After the surgeries the doctor had me use an OTC nasal rinse and a prescription nasal spray, which I still do on a daily basis.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2019, 01:58 AM)Machine Wrote: Found over the counter spray that works great 6 hours effect, however my doctor said if i continue to use it constantly i will ruin my mucous membrane in my nose.

I wonder if there's some alternative solution other than surgery.

Another thought If you have not tried it yet. 

We live in a part of the country some call the allergy capital of the world.  

We saw a big long lasting improvement by getting aggressive on removing allergens from the house.

A related discussion took place here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid314232   

Good Luck!

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2019, 08:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have not seen any contradictions to using a mild steroidal nasal spray, other than consult your doctor if you use more than 6-months.  I have had a lot of relief from using a Rite-Aid generic version for that past 6-months.  I started at 2x/ day for the first week, then went to once per day in each nostril. Recently I cut back and noticed I should continue.  This eliminated the complete shutdown of air I was experiencing. My OSCAR results were showing a strong inhale, followed by zero flow (swallow), and exhale, then repeat.  I was being aroused multiple times per night and I seriously considered that I might have a nasal polyp or other issue that might need surgery.  I decided to try generic Flucosone, and still have my original purchased flucosone propionate sprayer (needs replaced soon). It made a big difference for me, but I had to wait almost 1-week for it to be fully effective.  

Not only on CPAP, but during exercise like bike-riding, I don't have to breath through my mouth unless I'm really getting aerobic.  Before, i used find myself breathing through the mouth all day.  My family commented that when I ate, I was breathing loudly.  This is at best embarrasing, but the flucasone seems to have resolved those complaints.  Congestion can seem to be your normal until  you use a simple solution to resolve it...use the simplest and least invasive approach. If that doesn't work, use the next line of defense.

Do you use the spray right before bed or so you space the time out before bed and if so how long before bed?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not very good with consistency, and take the spray when I remember it. Flonase or flucosone propionate works with a residual action, not as an immediate decongestant. I'd say to use it in the morning or mid-day if you think it disrupts your sleep, or before bed time if it doesn't. I just bought a new sprayer yesterday. It lasts a long time. Someone mentioned it is by prescription, but it became OTC some years ago...since you reminded me, I just used it. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess is it's as we'll find with a few other meds, there's OTC strength and scripted strength. But then again, you didn't need Cap'n Obvious to tell you that. If your pharmacy is anything like mine, it'll have this big display for Flonase right around the corner from the pharmacist counter.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2019, 08:11 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: My guess is it's as we'll find with a few other meds, there's OTC strength and scripted strength. But then again, you didn't need Cap'n Obvious to tell you that. If your pharmacy is anything like mine, it'll have this big display for Flonase right around the corner from the pharmacist counter.

It is indeed available OTC and by prescription, but both are the same strength at 50 mcg. The difference is with a prescription and good insurance, your costs might be less, but you will probably end up with the generic anyway.  Don't overlook coupons you can search for online whether you buy OTC or Rx.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2019, 07:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm not very good with consistency, and take the spray when I remember it.  Flonase or flucosone propionate works with a residual action, not as an immediate decongestant.  I'd say to use it in the morning or mid-day if you think it disrupts your sleep, or before bed time if it doesn't.  I just bought a new sprayer yesterday.  It lasts a long time.  Someone mentioned it is by prescription, but it became OTC some years ago...since you reminded me, I just used it. Smile

Hahaha glad that I could help your for once Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Check with an ear & nose doctor to see if you have enlarged turbinates in your nose?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.