Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose is red
Nose is red
I've been using my CPAP for about six weeks, and I think I've got the nasal mask adjusted at the Goldilocks position (not too tight, not too loose.) However, I notice that the front of my nose is red and a bit sore where the mask presses against it. The redness persists until late afternoon when it finally goes away. Is there anything I can use to prevent this? I don't want to loosen the mask, as it will surely leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose is red
Hi Jim,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try a little HPA Lanolin on your nose and see if that will help you; you can find that in the baby isle of most stores.
Hang in there for other ideas and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First, Welcome , to the forum. Second I don't recommend using your real name on this or any forum unless you enjoy getting lots of spam; please contact SuperSleeper to have it changed. Third: Does the mask press on the end of your nose - thus requiring a larger mask?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 12:45 AM)PollCat Wrote: First, Welcome , to the forum. Second I don't recommend using your real name on this or any forum unless you enjoy getting lots of spam; please contact SuperSleeper to have it changed. Third: Does the mask press on the end of your nose - thus requiring a larger mask?
Thank you. The name I'm using is not my real name. It is a screen name I've used for years on other forums. It seemed convenient to use it here also.

The mask doesn't press on the tip of my nose. The redness is between the bridge and tip of my nose, the area where the mask presses against the bone.

And no, my real name isn't Rudolph. :grin:

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 01:00 AM)Jim Bronson Wrote: And no, my real name isn't Rudolph. :grin:

Ok, but are you a reindeer? Do you play in all the reindeer games?

Try loosening the mask as that is usually the cause of what you describe.

My real name is Galactus, and I do eat planets..... I also have a Silver Surfer. Nuff said.

Someone should tell Pollcat what happens when he assumes...... or maybe I just did?

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are pads and the like you can use to help cushion your nose. Check with any of the online suppliers in their "accessories" department. The Supplier's List link is at the top of every page on the forum

Then there are also other masks. A mask that is causing a red spot that lasts that long is going to slowly break down the skin and you will have what is essentially a pressure wound. A bed sore on your nose. You won't be able to wear a mask while it heals which can take a long time. Either try another size of the same mask or start the search over again. We've all been there. Many of us seem to always be looking for one that works the way we think a mask should.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks everyone. I'll try loosening the top straps a bit and see what happens. I kinda hate to change masks since this one works pretty well. I never thought I could get used to a mask on my face while sleeping, but it seems I've acclimated to it very well. Once the mask gets up to body temperature, I can't feel it at all. AHI has lowered from 15 to 1-3, and I'm sleeping longer and better. And my insurances cover every penny, including two sleep labs. Looks like a win-win.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know how it works out for you, and good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Never used that particular mask but if its pressing up against the bottom of you nose its either to small or your adjusting it to ride to high on your nose. A mask shouldnt push up against you nose like that. Though I did use a Prolife small that was a size to small for me and had the same problem except it didnt push the end of my nose just the bottom. Problem mask was to small but I knew that going in as it was an old spare someone gave me to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first mask, and the one they titrated me on was one like the OP describes, it hurt the bridge of my nose because of the way it sat. Some of these masks really create some odd pressure points on your face and leave very annoying mask marks, and even painful marks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 194 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,973 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.