Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose, mouth and throat very dry
Nose, mouth and throat very dry
I'm using Respironics M Series already for about 4 years and I started using the humidifier for about one month. However, even with the humidifier at level 5, still the problem of dryness. What else should I do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose, mouth and throat very dry
Did you jump straight to the 5? High humidity can actually leave one feeling the same as low humidity, in terms of CPAP use. Try backing off some. You use a full face mask, right?

Another idea is something else is going on besides the CPAP. Have you started a new medication or changed a medication? Have you discussed this with your doctor? Insist the doc look at things other than the CPAP. What else would cause the dryness? What other changes are going on around you?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you PaulaO2 for your prompt reply.
I started with level 2 and the mask I use is a Respironics Confort Gel, nose only, not full face, though I have a Full face mask too.
With regard to medication , nothing has changed . I take the same drugs for years. Remedies for high blood pressure and diabetes. Also with respect to the environment , nothing changed. Live for years in the same city ( Rio de Janeiro , Brazil ) , in the same house , sleep in the same room under even the same conditions of humidity and temperature , for example.
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi armando.ntg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try turning your humidity back to 4 and see if that will help.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, sorry, your mask line says "comfort full" so I assumed.

Then you are opening your mouth at night now. Try a chin strap. You can make a homemade one out of an ACE bandage to see if it helps. You need it tight enough to keep your mouth closed when you are relaxed but loose enough that it takes effort to chew. Give that a try for a few nights.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, trish6hundred. I will try tonight.
Thanks, PaolaO2. I bought on ebay and I will try as soon as delivered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 11:10 AM)armando.ntg Wrote: I'm using Respironics M Series already for about 4 years and I started using the humidifier for about one month. However, even with the humidifier at level 5, still the problem of dryness. What else should I do?

Hi Armando,

You also might want to experiment with passive humidity to see if that helps which would entail turning off your humidifier and using cold water. Google oral balance for dry mouth and Ayr saline nasal gel for a dry nose. Many members on the other forum had great luck with these product.

Best of luck in getting your problems resolved.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
I am using Biotene mouthwash in addition to humidity for dry mouth. As Paula mentioned, mouth leakage can be the major cause even with a full face mask. Try the chin strap first. If that does not work, I would try adding the use of something like Biotene mouth wash to the use of the chin strap. Sometimes it can take a little help from several things to affect a solution.

Best Regards,

PayotnA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.