Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose sores on bottom of nostril
Nose sores on bottom of nostril
I’ve been on therapy for almost 2 years I’m using a full face mask resmed F20. Noticed last week started to get sores on both nostrils towards the back not in nose but like the rim of it. Not sure how all of a sudden I’m getting sores. Using a resmed 10 with a heated tube also
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose soars on bottom of nostril
If they are well out of reach of any part of the device that touches you, it seems to me you should make an appointment with a physician.  You DO NOT want to let this fester because the nose's interior is a filthy place, and open lesions, if that's what they're on their way to, are something you would want to avoid like the plague.
Post Reply Post Reply
I probably didn’t explain it right it’s not in the interior of nose it’s on outer edge of nostril not inside nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does any part of the mask touch your nostrils?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get fissures in the nose even without cpap. Occasional is not a problem, but if it doesn't heal and/or happens frequently, you should see your doctor as diabetes is a common related problem. In the meantime, I'd just use one of those OTC antibiotic creams on the spot. If it hasn't healed in a week or worsens, then see your doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2018, 05:37 PM)Teddysjam Wrote: I probably didn’t explain it right it’s not in the interior of nose it’s on outer edge of nostril not inside nose.

Okay, then it amounts, probably, to 'contact dermatitis.'  As suggested just above, there are what are called 'barrier' creams, including a brand that is actually called 'Barriere Cream'.  They are somewhat creamy, meant to be placed on the skin (NOT rubbed-in), and left in place until is simply disappears.  Place it on the affected area and then apply your gear.  Repeat next day, even if it seems to be greatly improved.  I would clean my mask every morning when using any barrier cream. 

Then, consider what the 'contact' is.  If it's moisture, then maybe you have too much humidity set in the machine's settings, or too little climate control heat and the mask is collecting water overnight.  Or, it's just pressure from the mask as your head sags into the pillow or friction with your headgear pulls the mask up against the nose there.  I don't use them, and have never done much fact-finding about them, but some of the people here use covers for their masks, whether cloth or foam, with a view to keeping contact with the mask to a minimum and to relieve pressure in unwanted places.  Perhaps another responder will chime in and help with that information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get these from time to time, usually during or after high allergy seasons or a cold.

Once they start, they go bacterial pretty quick.

My preferred treatment is an ointment called Silvasorb (by Medline). A thin layer 1-2 times a day and it usually clears up in about 3 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's just chaffing than you can pick up some Lanolin from the local drug store. Mothers use it while nursing so it's safe and it won't harm the mask either.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2018, 01:55 PM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: I get these from time to time, usually during or after high allergy seasons or a cold.

Once they start, they go bacterial pretty quick.

My preferred treatment is an ointment called Silvasorb (by Medline). A thin layer 1-2 times a day and it usually clears up in about 3 days.

Thanks. I'll look for that cream.

I have a problem bump and sore on my right nostril that started with my last Wisp mask and remains to this day.
It probably will be surgically removed soon.  I don't want that. Sad

It's not been fun; however, I should have attended to it sooner.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2018, 02:01 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If it's just chaffing than you can pick up some Lanolin from the local drug store. Mothers use it while nursing so it's safe and it won't harm the mask either.

Ditto on the recommendation for lanolin.  Brand "Lansinoh" is sold in nursing mothers departments, in the USA.  It's *thick* stuff, and really helps with chafing.  And a tube lasts forever, since it's so thick.    But this is for contact type chafing;  if your mask doesn't touch in these spots, then this may not help.  Although, it still keeps the skin moistened, which can help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 5 122 Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 270 Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 3 222 04-16-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 120 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,934 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 304 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,309 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.