Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose surgery after sleep study
Nose surgery after sleep study
Hi all,

I have a question about the following:

My neurologist  ordered a PSG to see if my MAD device works which is a standard protocol in my country . I asked the lab if they measure for reras which they say they would . But is it possible they miss it ? I had an in lab study.

To add,

I bought a bipap and so far no success. My pulmonologist said that he want to let my nose Be checked out by an ent after the study. Beceause I have W problem breathing through it. He said therapy won’t work if that’s the problem and I might need surgery. 

Are there also people facing that problem ? 

Thanks for any advice !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose surgery after sleep study
A PSG would reveal any arousals or change in sleep stage, and can determine if the arousal is spontaneous or related to respiration. While many focus on apnea and hypopnea, the sleep stage disturbances is frequently recorded and reports. If this was done, you will see it in the report.

Nasal blockage from deviated septum, enlarged turbinates, polyps and other causes are fairly common, and may result in upper airway restriction. This is from an online article:

Quote:Nasal obstruction or congestion can be a significant contributor to snoring, impaired sleep, and sleep disordered breathing. Nasal based snoring is typically caused by nasal stuffiness or small or collapsing nostrils.

The body is designed to breathe through the nose. When nasal breathing is hindered by congestion, the body forces you to begin mouth breathing, which is not the optimal way to pass air into the lungs. Mouth breathing creates a greater amount of negative pressure (vibrating) behind the soft palate and uvula, which, during sleep, can result in snoring. In fact, allergies and nasal congestion are considered to be a main cause of snoring and impaired sleep.

A study conducted by the University of Wisconsin Sleep and Respiratory Research Group found that nasal obstruction led to increased sleep disordered breathing events, such as snoring, apneas (suspensions in breathing), and hypopneas (episodes of extremely shallow breathing). Study participants with nighttime rhinitis reported more:

Habitual snoring
Excessive daytime sleepiness
Chronic non-restorative sleep
Sleeping in the supine (on the back) position can also increase congestion in the nasal passages, making breathing more difficult and increasing snoring.

Other risks of impaired sleep due to nasal congestion include:

Fatigue
Decrease in productivity
Increased risk of accidents
Depression or alteration in mood
Negatively affected quality of life
If you experience chronic nasal congestion and disruptive snoring, you may be at risk for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a potentially dangerous condition characterized by episodes of cessation or pauses in breathing due to obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.