Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One week in+ No joy
RE: One week in+ No joy
Here's a thought- Shouldn't there be medical professionals that assess the fit of your mask, and work with you to try to get it working? My supplier is obviously in the business of harvesting money from my insurance company. Any possible success I might have is of little importance. If I continue with this, I might buy my own equipment and return this equipment to the supplier. I refuse to allow them to profit while I'm getting no benefit.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'd think there'd be some assist on the masks, but I'm convinced common sense can't survive in the weird world of PAP and Apnea.

Sure you can return the PAP and get your own. Look up Supplier #2 and see what's in the inventory. Call them for best prices. They have a script department if you haven't gotten yours from the doc yet, which you should do anyway. The mask is probably already paid for and would add to your stack of stuff. I recently had to return a new machine to Lincare and they only needed the power cord and the actual PAP. No mask, case, hose, or humidifier tub.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK; a follow-up. I met with someone at the sleep center this morning. I had already turned the equipment in, as I had reached the end of a month, and didn't want to get stuck paying for it. Messages/calls to the sleep center were never returned. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper!

We talked everything over. Looking back at my original sleep study, My AHI was 6 sleeping on my side; 16.3 total. Obviously, sleeping on my side is better. She looked at the data (what little they got) from my CPAP, and my AHI was worse on the machine. She allowed as how the therapy 'wasn't doing me much good'. I complained about the lack of support and lack of professionalism from the DME supplier. She said she hears that a lot. Why can't a qualified medical professional help me with this? They can't sell equipment at the sleep center, as that would be a conflict of interest.

Where does that leave me? I've been off CPAP for a couple weeks, and feel much better. The PA I talked to said it was 'up to me'. If I want Medicare to pay for the equipment, I would need to take another sleep test. I said that if I elect to try it again, I would buy my own equipment, as I don't want my data being transmitted. She said she wouldn't want that, either. I could just bring the SD card in if I was having trouble. For now, I'm going without. I'm getting better at sleeping on my side consistently. I haven't had any daytime symptoms of OSA anyway, until I tried the CPAP, when I never got a good night's sleep. If it really bothers me in the future, I know what to do now. Meanwhile, I'd rather die in my sleep than go through that struggle again.

Thanks to everyone here for your help and support. I got a lot more information and benefit here than from any of the doctor's offices or DME provider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 492 1 hour ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 203 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 225 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 564 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.