Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nosebleed
Nosebleed
I have an AirSense10 with the P10 mask.  I have had this setup since 2015 and used it religiously for the first 3-4 years, then fell out of use for a couple years.   I just started using it again a week ago.

Since I stopped using it last, I was diagnosed with Afib and started using Eliquis blood thinner.

In the first 7 days of use, I had a bloody nose 3 of the 7 days, always started bleeding about 2 hrs after getting out of bed and always the right nostril.  I never had a single nosebleed when I used the CPAP the first three years.  With the blood thinner, the bleeding is profuse and takes at least 30 min to get it to stop.

I had the humidity set to Auto and use a heated hose set to 82f.  My pressure is low at a prescribed 6 setting.

I was thinking of changing to the N20 mask where it doesn’t touch my nostril openings?

Any other thoughts or ideas.  I suspect the Afib is triggered by the sleep apnea, so I need to get on a regular schedule.  I stopped using the CPAP to let my nose heal.

I see my pulmonologist/sleep doc next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nosebleed
Do you feel you are getting enough humidity? You could try the Manual setting and adjust accordingly.

If the nosebleeds continue, talk to your Doctor about the Blood Thinner possibly causing the nose bleeds. Not saying that's the case, but it is possible.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only evidence I have of humidity is that more than 1/2 of the tank of water is gone by morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go by how you feel. Do your nostrils feel dry in the morning?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No they don’t feel dry.  What’s weird is the nosebleed always starts about 2 hrs after I get out of bed, not when I am using the CPAP.  I never had nosebleeds before I resumed using the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could attempt to increase humidity if you feel that would help. Turn the humidifier to manual mode and adjust humidity output as necessary.

Secondly, on the nosebleeds, contact your doc and get advisement. While PAP may still be the culprit, it's best to be certain your doc knows about the bleeding.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I see the doc next Tuesday.  I stopped using the CPAP three days ago and have not had any nosebleeds so I know it’s directly related to the CPAP and blood thinner combination.  I plan to crank the humidity up when I resume and hope I will not get rain fallout in the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try a little petroleum jelly before bed. Just rub a LITTLE bit in each side right before bed.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a full face mask ( like Vitera ) which may be less irritating?
I take Eliquis and have not had any problems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised Why nosebleed ozartblue 17 5,578 06-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.