Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nosin' Around
Nosin' Around
I'm new to CPAP and last night was my fourth night. It's the second night my partner said I was breathing noisily, heavily and quickly. This morning I recalled I found it hard at times to get enough air in and traced that (I think) to only one nostril working correctly. Right now both are working. I suspect this is due to the nasal cycle because my nostrils alternate during the day.

Should I do anything? I turned up the humidity to normal (back to 27 degrees auto setting) as I had preferred it colder and later this morning I suspect that may have helped a little. I'm not sure if a saline nosewash would help but apart from that the only option is a full face mask, right? Or should I hang in there? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nosin' Around
Check with your GP and maybe a referral to see ENT doctor

Humidity setting is something you have to experiment with to find your comfort zone, everyone is different.
I use sinus rinse at night and sometimes during the day too
[Image: Flo%20Sinus%20Care%20Starter%20Kit_0.jpg?itok=iK9Hw42O]

Post Reply Post Reply
Sinus rinses are great during allergy season or when ill with nasal congestion or whatever. I think it is a good thing for a new CPAP user to try.

Too much humidity can be as bad as too little.

This is only your 4th night. Your body and brain are still trying to work things out. This includes your nostrils.

Don't change masks yet. Give it some time. If it doesn't clear up by the end of week 2, then go see an ENT or change to a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2013, 08:16 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: This morning I recalled I found it hard at times to get enough air in and traced that (I think) to only one nostril working correctly.
Have you just noticed it now since started CPAP?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2013, 12:40 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 08:16 PM)Sleeper999 Wrote: This morning I recalled I found it hard at times to get enough air in and traced that (I think) to only one nostril working correctly.
Have you just noticed it now since started CPAP?

I was always aware of it and that they alternated function during the day. I checked it out recently it's part of the nasal cycle apparently. Is there an almost complete blockage of one nostril for others?

I tried the Flo wash last night and it cleared both nostrils. Quite amazing. The CPAP session went very well too. So I'm hopeful this has fixed the problem.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.