Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not Apnea
Not Apnea
I was prescribed a CPAP machine not for apnea but because I was diagnosed with a partially paralyzed diaphragm Medicare won't pay for the machine because of this diagnosed. Does anyone have experience with getting reimbursed by Medicare or their secondarily insurance? I have Bs/BS.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not Apnea
I think your best bet is to start by asking the doctor who prescribed the CPAP to send a letter of medical necessity to the appropriate insurance companies.  You should also contact your insurance company and ask to speak to a case manager to find out about the process for appealing a decision to deny coverage.  Typically the appeals process will require some paperwork, much of which has to be completed by the prescribing doctor.

Good luck.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rowdy1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you deal with insurance and also with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering why the doc didn't want a ventilator of some sort, given the partially paralyzed diaphragm. Maybe ask?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to file an appeal with Medicare.  They will cover this. My brother has a similar problem and has a bipap because of it.  He had to first fail the cpap before Medicare would give the bipap.

I technically would not have qualified for a cpap with Medicare because my AHI is too low (only occurs during REM and near REM) although the RDI was 36.  Medicare only cares about AHI without additional paperwork so they fudged it because my oxygen level is very low without cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice and welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,400 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,852 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,896 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.