Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin
Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin
Hi all,

I am pleased to see this board offering support to people who're going through sleep issues. I've had terrible sleep issues for the past 11 years and have tried too many things to list. The experience of feeling awful every morning and experiencing constant brain fog has driven me to purchase a cpap machine. I have not been diagnosed formally, but on several occasions, alternative health practitioners have suggested I may actually have sleep apnea (worked with a leading Buteyko practitioner who believed I had it). Thing is, I don't snore, and don't nod off in the day, though my energy levels are terrible. In fact, I tend to sleep very very little - an average of 6hrs per night for the past 11 years.

I first started experiencing sleep issues while competing in the sport of powerlifting at the age of 18. I am a generally big, strong sort of man (6 ft 5), and have a world-class training facility just down the road from me. Training with the powerlifting team, I became an enormous over two years, weighing 250lb, not going to say it was all muscle because it was not, but I achieved my goals in the sport and went off to University and into a good career after that.

I stopped lifting, but am still a big guy. I think the rapid increase in size, training with brutally heavyweights, and enormous stress on the body were what started my sleep issues off. Talking to one of my friends from the sport many years ago, I opened up to him and told him what was happening. He insisted I purchase a CPAP, and actually offered to buy one for me (lol) that was how strong he felt about it. 

I've got a ResMed S9 and have set it up following an amazing video on YouTube, which is where I learned about this site. 

I am grateful for the information and wisdom you are all sharing and am just saying hello. 

It will be my first night using the CPAP machine tonight. I have installed the sleep tracking software many of you talk about (OSCAR) and have ordered an SD card off Amazon which will arrive tomorrow. I will create a log in the software ever day and keep a sleep journal.

Let's hope I correct this problem once and for all. 11 years of this is enough for me. I'm 29 and have a lot of life to live.

Many thanks,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin
You should download software OSCAR (Free on this site)because some one will and it will indicate visually what is going on in your sleep when you get settled in with your new equipment. There is a lot of knowledge here to help possibly and give you some of your youth back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rsandhu!  -  Welcome

There are several S9 models. Some of them do not provide detailed sleep data.  To help, I have attached an image of the S9 to aid in determining which model you have.  I also have copied a snippet from our Wiki's "Machine Choice" page to provide some information on the S9 series.

[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

Machine Choices (http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices)

Resmed S9 Series
  • Recommended (Full data capability and automatic pressure)
    • Autoset and Autoset for Her
    • VPAP S
    • VPAP Auto
    • VPAP ST
    • VPAP Adapt (AutoSet CS)
    • VPAP ST-A iVAPS
  • Acceptable (Full data capability and fixed pressure)
    • Elite
  • Not recommended (Limited or no data capability)
    • CPAP SE (Limited or no detailed data)
    • Escape CPAP (Limited or no detailed data)
    • Escape Auto (Limited or no detailed data)

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2020, 11:44 AM)Canuck 2 Wrote: You should download software OSCAR (Free on this site)because some one will and it will indicate visually what is going on in your sleep when you get settled in with your new equipment. There is a lot of knowledge here to help possibly and give you some of your youth back.

H Canuck. Well thank you for the post. I have installed the software you mention here, and thank you very much for your help. Let's hope we can turn this around? I am a hardworking person and have dedicated much energy (which I don't have) to my career. Let's hope I can stop living on hard-mode. We'll see how it goes.

(07-30-2020, 12:05 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi rsandhu!  -  Welcome

There are several S9 models. Some of them do not provide detailed sleep data.  To help, I have attached an image of the S9 to aid in determining which model you have.  I also have copied a snippet from our Wiki's "Machine Choice" page to provide some information on the S9 series.

Machine Choices 

Resmed S9 Series
  • Recommended (Full data capability and automatic pressure)
    • Autoset and Autoset for Her
    • VPAP S
    • VPAP Auto
    • VPAP ST
    • VPAP Adapt (AutoSet CS)
    • VPAP ST-A iVAPS
  • Acceptable (Full data capability and fixed pressure)
    • Elite
  • Not recommended (Limited or no data capability)
    • CPAP SE (Limited or no detailed data)
    • Escape CPAP (Limited or no detailed data)
    • Escape Auto (Limited or no detailed data)
Good luck!

Hi Crimson Nape, thank you for your post, and of course, thank you for giving me some excellent and helpful information. I took a look at my machine just like you say, and can tell you that it does, in fact, say 'AutoSet' on the central panel. This means I have a recommended machine, so I am off to an OK start.

Best wishes,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
Ravi, the S9 Autoset is a great machine and will provide full data through OSCAR. The only precaution that the S9 requires is the SD card must be locked when reading it in your computer to prevent hidden index files from being written, then unlocked before re-inserting to the S9. This is going to be interesting because as powerlifter you have probably got some pretty good circumference on your neck which can lead to what we have come to call "positional apnea" which has a distinct signature of clustered apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

Anyway, not trying to get ahead ourselves, but that is probably right up front of what we will look for. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any questions to get comfortable with your new machine. For starters, I'm going to recommend a minimum pressure of 8.0, maximum pressure of 14.0 and EPR full time at 2 (exhale pressure relief). This tutorial on settings might help you get started https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2020, 12:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ravi, the S9 Autoset is a great machine and will provide full data through OSCAR. The only precaution that the S9 requires is the SD card must be locked when reading it in your computer to prevent hidden index files from being written, then unlocked before re-inserting to the S9.  This is going to be interesting because as powerlifter you have probably got some pretty good circumference on your neck which can lead to what we have come to call "positional apnea" which has a distinct signature of clustered apnea (link)

Anyway, not trying to get ahead ourselves, but that is probably right up front of what we will look for.  Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any questions to get comfortable with your new machine.  For starters, I'm going to recommend a minimum pressure of 8.0, maximum pressure of 14.0 and EPR full time at 2 (exhale pressure relief).  This tutorial on settings might help you get started (link)

Hello Sleeprider,

Thank you for this incredible and clear post, your thoughts are valuable and I have actually purchased a cervical sleeve. I have in fact chronically tucked my chin when in sleeping positions (have slept on my side til now), so this very much may be a factor in my case. It has occurred to me that this may have been detrimental but it is such a natural position for me. I will begin to use the cervical collar after I have gathered data on OSCAR for a few days and will update you all so we can assess.

I've also changed the settings on the machine to the ones you recommend here. That is, min pressure is 8, max pressure 14, and ERP is set to full time, level 2.

I am all set for my first night on the CPAP now. SD card will arrive tomorrow and I will be able to gather some data and share with you all tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing. The SD card has to be in the S9 while you are using it in order to collect the detailed sleep data.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape!

Well it was a strange one last night. I wasn't able to fall asleep with the mask on, at all, so I've just been in bed for 8 hours staring at the ceiling all night. I didn't take it off or anything like that. It'll probably take some time to adjust. Strangely enough, given that I've had no sleep at all, I don't feel as tired as I would have expected.

Is it a case of getting used to the mask to be able to fall alseep with it?

Thanks,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 12:53 AM)rsandhu Wrote: Thanks Crimson Nape!

Well it was a strange one last night. I wasn't able to fall asleep with the mask on, at all, so I've just been in bed for 8 hours staring at the ceiling all night. I didn't take it off or anything like that. It'll probably take some time to adjust. Strangely enough, given that I've had no sleep at all, I don't feel as tired as I would have expected.

Thanks,
Ravi

If you can use the mask and cpap when your awake doing other things, to get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 01:06 AM)ardenum Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 12:53 AM)rsandhu Wrote: Thanks Crimson Nape!

Thanks,
Ravi

If you can use the mask and cpap when your awake doing other things, to get used to it.

Hi Ardenum. That's what I'm thinking, trying to get my brain adjusted to it. Hope tonight goes better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 692 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 107 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 490 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 331 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 510 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,845 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 429 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.