Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin
RE: Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin
Yes, while under pressure, read a book, watch TV, play games on your phone. Anything you find enjoyable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all, thanks for your posts.

Last night was still unable to get to sleep with it on. Got to about 2am, and I didn't want another sleepless night (was in bed since 1030) so I just took it off and went to sleep without it. I think that's how it played out anyway, I'm a bit unsure, I think I actually did get some really shallow half-conscious sleep with it on and then 'woke up' (became slightly more conscious) and took it off.

Like you all advise, I understand it's a case of getting the brain and body accustomed to the pressure, so I will proceed with it and just use it where possible to help me adjust and hopefully be able to fall asleep with it on.

Many thanks,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
Ravi, you will get there. I'd suggest you do daytime acclimation for a couple of days before trying again at night. I'd also suggest that you spend no more than 30 minutes waiting for sleep to come. That way you can avoid setting up associations between using the machine and lying awake feeling frustrated.

You are right that we are sometimes actually in stage 1 sleep, or even stage 2, without retrospectively having the sense that we were asleep. Stage 1 sleep can even include a little bit of contemporaneous awareness of the sleep environment. So you may well have slept some with the mask/machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2020, 11:55 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Ravi, you will get there.  I'd suggest you do daytime acclimation for a couple of days before trying again at night.  I'd also suggest that you spend no more than 30 minutes waiting for sleep to come.  That way you can avoid setting up associations between using the machine and lying awake feeling frustrated.

You are right that we are sometimes actually in stage 1 sleep, or even stage 2, without retrospectively having the sense that we were asleep.  Stage 1 sleep can even include a little bit of contemporaneous awareness of the sleep environment.  So you may well have slept some with the mask/machine.

Thank you very much Dormeo for your excellent advice.

As instructed, I am going to acclimatise myself in the day time and spend a few days working on that before trying at night.

Last night was very much in the same vein of the previous nights, spent 45 minutes trying to drift off, to no avail, and took off the mask. Was soon able to sleep.

Clearly, there is a process involved. I will do what is necessary.

Many thanks,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
With much respect here... and empathy... It seems you have listened to some Bro Science and put the cart before the horse.

Would you please go and have a Sleep Lab test, and then if you have Apnea at least let a doctor have some input into the treatment. As i understand it CPAP is not the only treatment used for Apnea, depending on what is causing it... and this is where your gym bro insisting you need CPAP is not solid logic.

My experience with Apnea is that if you have it and it's causing you to have significant life issues, drifting off to sleep should be pretty darn easy. I'm not saying CPAP compliance is easy, it's not. But actually getting to sleep for at least 5-10 mins... should be a breeze.

I'm not throwing rocks and I'm not trying to say you do or don't have anything, but please consider having a proper sleep lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2020, 12:38 AM)sneef Wrote: With much respect here... and empathy... It seems you have listened to some Bro Science and put the cart before the horse.

Would you please go and have a Sleep Lab test, and then if you have Apnea at least let a doctor have some input into the treatment. As i understand it CPAP is not the only treatment used for Apnea, depending on what is causing it... and this is where your gym bro insisting you need CPAP is not solid logic.

My experience with Apnea is that if you have it and it's causing you to have significant life issues, drifting off to sleep should be pretty darn easy. I'm not saying CPAP compliance is easy, it's not. But actually getting to sleep for at least 5-10 mins... should be a breeze.

I'm not throwing rocks and I'm not trying to say you do or don't have anything, but please consider having a proper sleep lab.

Hi Sneef. I think that's a fair point. Well, a factor here is where I live (UK). Our medical system can create some barriers. You have to beg your doctor for tests if you suspect anything, and most of the time it's a dead-end. I couldn't actually get a sleep study through our medical system. I'd have to pay for one to be done privately, which is fine, but the cost of that would be more than actually purchasing the machine. I have a 60 day money-back guarantee on my CPAP, and because this is an experiment, if I don't have sleep apnea (I wasn't diagnosed), I return my machine and get my money back. In as much as there being other treatments, well if the hunt to fix these problems continues, then I guess I'll have to see where this experiment puts me. I think I will learn something valuable. 

However, yes, as you say, I've not gone through a doctor and am to some extent making a not so educated guess. Notwithstanding, I'll gather the data through OSCAR, and get feedback from the community as to what I should do. I'm sure there is case by case variance.

Update: I did get to sleep with the mask on last night! I was reading in bed with it on for about an hour before bedtime, and relaxed for a while, thinking I'd give it a go for 30 minutes to see what happens. I drifted off. I woke up about 4 times through the night, but each time I was able to get back to sleep and this morning I feel quite calm, relaxed, and composed.

I will continue to log everything on OSCAR.

Best wishes,
Ravi
Post Reply Post Reply
Ravi, you did it! And you're feeling decent today! This is excellent news. Do post a daily chart when you have a chance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2020, 02:24 AM)rsandhu Wrote: Well, a factor here is where I live (UK). Our medical system can create some barriers. You have to beg your doctor for tests if you suspect anything, and most of the time it's a dead-end. I couldn't actually get a sleep study through our medical system. I'd have to pay for one to be done privately, which is fine, but the cost of that would be more than actually purchasing the machine. 

Hi Ravi,

Are you sure about this? The UK-based Sleep Apnea Trust has a list of sleep clinics around the UK, and there seems to be a good number in every UK region. I can't post a link as I'm "too new", but you can Google it easily.

And in my personal experience, the NHS took my sleep issues seriously and conducted an at-home sleep study/test, which confirmed that I had severe obstructive sleep apnea. A CPAP machine quickly followed and I've been successfully using it for over a year now. So I'd encourage you to try again with your GP.

Best wishes,
Andrew.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 400 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 390 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,808 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 412 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.