Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not a Noob but new blower now large leaks
Not a Noob but new blower now large leaks
I recently switched over from a PR System One BiPap to a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, not really a move on my part my Sys1 started acting funky and when I called my DME they said they didn't repair or diagnose them and they ordered me a new one and the AirCurve 10 was what my Dr. specifically ordered.

Anyway I've been on it for a month now and I am still seeing silly leak numbers from ResScan 5.3 (just downloaded update). 30 day period is showing a median @ 13.4, 95th % @ 38.4 and a max @ 56.4. I'm using the same personal equipment i.e. mask, chin strap etc. that I've used for years successfully other than the blower itself and was on the Sys1 for 5+ years and on some form of blower for the past 10 + years. I've never seen any leaking like this. On my Sys1 when I reviewed the data or started feeling less than normal I could usually see an increase in leak and change the mask or more recently the cushions out and go right back to minimal leaking for months. My Activa LT mask did not require being super tight just snug with chin strap adjusted in a similar manner.

I updated all the gear, tightened/loosened to extremes and I am still seeing the high leak rates, but not noticing anything during the night (been there / done that) and no leak complaints from the boss. Tried a backup FF mask (never wear it) and it leaked like a sieve which is why I don't wear them but couldn't sleep with the flutters, eye jet etc. so I know what a normal excess mask leak is. I can use the "mask adjustment" setting and get a frowny face when I know there is no leak beyond the mask ports. Checked the hose and connector for leaks but didn't find anything even with full blockage on the open end. After the first week or so I was getting smiley faces on the mask fit indicator in the morning but still seeing what are to me big numbers on ResScan.

I'm wondering if some sensor on the machine is bad or is it just overly sensitive maybe a different software process as compared to the PR and I've really been leaking badly for 5+ years(unlikely) considering my average AHI was 1.3 per Encore. Not sure I can trust the data on events if the leak rate is really so high and no reason at all for my mask to leak differently than before that I can tell, AirCurve is set to nasal mask and correct tubing type. I've even taken it off Auto and run it just at 16/20 which were my prior settings in the Sys1 trying to zero out any change but no change in leak rates reported...any thoughts or time to call the DME?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not a Noob but new blower now large leaks
Do you have the correct setting in the CPAP for the hose you are using?
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 03:38 AM)krelvin Wrote: Do you have the correct setting in the CPAP for the hose you are using?

Yes it is set to the "slimline" tubing that came with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check seating of the water tank.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
How are you comparing your leak rates between PRS1 and Aircurve 10? The leak rates are reported completely differently. Resmed approximates an unintentional leak rate whereas Philips reports a total leak rate. What software were you using with the PRS1? What makes you so sure that you were not having leaks at night?

I will tell you that I went for a year with a nasal mask thinking that I had solved the mouth leak problem. I never woke up with air rushing out of my mouth and never had any leaks at the cushions. Finally learned that data was available and could be downloaded. I had an S8 VPAP Auto. It took me a while to get the special card and reader for that machine but once I did I found that I had major mouth leaks. It took some mask changes to correct the problem.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be the way the AirCurve measures leaks. Mine go all over. Two days ago my L/min median, 95th, max was 2.4, 9.6, 120. Last night was 2.4, 14.4, 22.8. although sleepyhead reported my max as 26.4. I don't really obsess over it. My mask does leak frequently because of the way I sleep. It's possible you really had leakage all along but the previous machine didn't report it accurately.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zload,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Hope you get your new machine straightened out and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 09:57 AM)PaytonA Wrote: How are you comparing your leak rates between PRS1 and Aircurve 10? The leak rates are reported completely differently. Resmed approximates an unintentional leak rate whereas Philips reports a total leak rate. What software were you using with the PRS1? What makes you so sure that you were not having leaks at night?

I will tell you that I went for a year with a nasal mask thinking that I had solved the mouth leak problem. I never woke up with air rushing out of my mouth and never had any leaks at the cushions. Finally learned that data was available and could be downloaded. I had an S8 VPAP Auto. It took me a while to get the special card and reader for that machine but once I did I found that I had major mouth leaks. It took some mask changes to correct the problem.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

If you were not leaking at the mask or mouth where was your leak?

I have used Encore for a long time so I was pretty aware of my normal and trends, unfortunately I had just dumped a years worth of data following my annual visit to the pulmonologist when my PRS1 bombed out. I know I leaked with the PRS1, as you said PRS1 reports "time in large leak" vs. the "unintentional leak" reported by ResMed it just seems the frequency/volume being reported is excessive as compared to the time in large leak which was rather nominal over a period of time. As I'm learning the new software I'll probably realize the nuances. Thanks for the input I'll keep working on it and make sure I still get a smiley face in the mornings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I was mouth leaking. Just did not realize it. Tried a chin strap. No joy. Went to a FFM and that solved the leak problem. Brought up a few other problems but no more leak problems.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed blower motor disassembly PinehillJoe 3 51 8 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 439 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 106 16,901 04-06-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Restrepo
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 267 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 334 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 530 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 204 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.