Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not enough humidity with the Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
Not enough humidity with the Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
I have been on CPAP therapy for almost a year. Until this month my machine has been working fine. However, my humidifier doesn't seem to working right anymore. The hot plate used to be too hot to touch in the morning. Now it's warm but not hot. Before when I set it to 4, my face was pleasantly damp in the morning. Now my sinus are dry and even at a setting of 5 I don't feel the humidity. The water tank is about half empty in the morning but it used to be almost completely empty.

I have taken it apart and snapped it back together. I didn't feel any obstruction in the air outlet ports. I checked the settings and the humidifier is set to on and the light that states it's function is also on during the night.

The troubleshooting guide in the manual states that if the device is operating normally but the humidifier's airflow is low, there is probably an airflow obstruction and I need to take it to my home care provider. Before I do that, do you have any suggestions on what I can try. I won't be able to get to my home care provider for at least a week and probably longer. This dry nose is affecting my sleep.

Thanks for any advice you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not enough humidity with the Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
Do you have the older model 450P or the newer 460P?

I would suggest you contact your DME and tell them. Perhaps it can be replaced under warranty.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might get more humidity if system one humidification is turned off in the clinician's mode. That way, it doesn't try to sense the humidity of the air coming into the machine, and it simply heats the water a certain amount.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi iSnooze ... welcome back
I don,t use your machine but wanted to say hello since you been away for a while
Post Reply Post Reply
@Paula = I have the 450 model
@Archangle = I turned off the humidification (thanks the clinician manual from this forum) and although I slept better, there is still too much water in my tank.
@Zonk = Thanks. I wish my life had more free time so that I could spend more time with the nice people here.

I will call my DME and schedule an appointment to see what's wrong. I'll report back after I find an answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your humidifier may well be broken. One thing to try is to pull the humidifier off the main part of the machine and plug it back on a couple of times to see it the connector has got loose or dirty.

I use the System One mode and have got to like it.

It seems to do a reasonable job of managing the humidity to the point where it is not obvious. I was originally driving it manually and found that I either ended up with rain or I woke up with a dry mouth. (when I was using the Mirage hybrid mask)

I have a bit of a game going trying to guess how much water to put in so that it almost - but not quite - runs dry by the morning. It is surprisingly variable...

The heater plate can be quite hot on dry nights but stone cold if the weather is already very humid.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Moriarty. I unhooked the humidifier once and pushed it back on, but I will do it a few more times. Maybe the connection is loose.

When it was working, I would also estimate how much water I would need for the night, or for a nap. I usually put in a bit more because I didn't want to wake up to that no-more-water-smell. That's a rude awakening.
Post Reply Post Reply
Drove an hour on icy roads for a 10 minute consultation but it was worth it. I described my problem to the DME technician and what I've tried. He said it sounds like the humidifier heater is wearing out. The humidifier is only warranted for 1 year and I'm just past my 1 year of usage. He had a used one he could give me for free. He said it worked but he didn't know if it would keep working for 2 days or 2 years. When it gives out, I'll need to buy a new one. The replacement worked fine last night.

Unfortunately my coffee machine also broke this morning. I'm not sure what's worse, no humidification on the cpap or no hot coffee. I know what SuperSleeper would says. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 09:06 AM)iSnooze Wrote: Unfortunately my coffee machine also broke this morning. I'm not sure what's worse, no humidification on the cpap or no hot coffee. I know what SuperSleeper would says. Coffee

Do you even need to ask? Bigwink

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

lots-o-coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 09:38 AM)iSnooze Wrote: I have been on CPAP therapy for almost a year. Until this month my machine has been working fine. However, my humidifier doesn't seem to working right anymore. The hot plate used to be too hot to touch in the morning. Now it's warm but not hot. Before when I set it to 4, my face was pleasantly damp in the morning. Now my sinus are dry and even at a setting of 5 I don't feel the humidity. The water tank is about half empty in the morning but it used to be almost completely empty.

I have taken it apart and snapped it back together. I didn't feel any obstruction in the air outlet ports. I checked the settings and the humidifier is set to on and the light that states it's function is also on during the night.

The troubleshooting guide in the manual states that if the device is operating normally but the humidifier's airflow is low, there is probably an airflow obstruction and I need to take it to my home care provider. Before I do that, do you have any suggestions on what I can try. I won't be able to get to my home care provider for at least a week and probably longer. This dry nose is affecting my sleep.

Thanks for any advice you have.

I am having the very same problem. My DME tech said it was all in my head but eventually gave me a new machine. I still am not getting the good results I have for the past 15 months. Any other ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,624 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 111 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 278 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 115 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 139 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 374 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 119 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.