Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not enough humidity with the Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
RE: Not enough humidity with the Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
There are different settings that the humidifier can be set to. With a heated-hose capable humidifier, there is the heated hose setting. If that humidification option is disabled, the System One humidification is enabled. Both of these sense the ambient humidity level and attempt to adjust the heater to provide a constant level of humidity. This means that, when the system detects a high ambient humidity, it might not even activate the heater at all.

If the System One humidification setting is disabled, you are left with the Classic humidification setting. This is simply a direct control over the heater plate temperature, regardless of ambient conditions.

What you might want to try as an experiment is to go to the Classic humidification mode and see if that works better for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the F&P humidifier for $140 (shop around) it can hold a bit more than 500ml of water and
that's plenty for me because I turn it up almost all the way.
Get a Hybernite hose to prevent water build up. ($40-50 if you shop around more)

I love the ResMed humidifier because it's so nifty but it is under-engineered, sad to say.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 07:41 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I love the ResMed humidifier because it's so nifty but it is under-engineered, sad to say.

Smile

What do you think is lacking?
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on several comments, it's lacking a sufficiently large water tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 10:34 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Based on several comments, it's lacking a sufficiently large water tank.

It's actually more than the System One's tank.

System One: 325 mL
http://www.somnitech.com/_PDF/SystemOneH...Manual.pdf
pp. 13

H5i: 380 mL
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf
pp. 7
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree the PRS1 humidifier tank is also on the small side. On a moderate humidification setting, my water tank often goes from full to millimeters from empty in the morning.

My comment wasn't a continuation of the ResMed vs PRS1 conversation we've had, but rather a clarification of Shastzi's comment as I understood it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 11:26 AM)RonWessels Wrote: My comment wasn't a continuation of the ResMed vs PRS1 conversation we've had, but rather a clarification of Shastzi's comment as I understood it.

No, I get that... I could've worded it better. It wasn't meant to be a "vs." comment. I just think that there's more to Shastzi's comment than capacity. Hopefully Shastzi will qualify that comment. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed makes ClimateLine Max. They ought to make H5i Max. They could make it a little longer and put a bigger tank in it - still be able to hook it up to any S9 (while they are at it, they should make ClimateLine Max work on all S9s). I'm sure many of us with high pressure would like that. More pressure = higher volume of air to humidify = need more water. I run out of water by morning most nights. I can't imagine what it is like for someone at 24 or 25 with a bi-level and just have that dinky little tank of water.

Who knows? Maybe with the S10s.

I was going to follow Shastzi's lead and get the F&P HC and put the H5i in the closet; but, traveling constantly for work, I gave up on the idea in favor of traveling as light as possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
So use the H5i while traveling.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 11:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So use the H5i while traveling.

It's hardly worth buying or messing with the F&P HC and Hybernite to only be able to use it every other weekend (which is how often my work schedule allows me to be home).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,018 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.