Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not even a Newbie yet - What machine has best data reporting?
Not even a Newbie yet - What machine has best data reporting?
Hello I just joined the board and am already looking for help.

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea got a total index # per hour of 41.2, plus a lot of other numbers I don't really understand.

I'm about to buy a CPAP machine and am stuck between the:
1) Philips Resperonics System One
REMstar Auto A-Flex with Heated Tube humidifier
Model USA: DS560TS Canada: CA561TS
or the
2) ResMed S9 Autoset, with heated humidifier & tube

and the ResMed Quatro Mirage full face mask.

From my research so far both are good machines, and the price is all but identical.

Where I get confused is with the reporting.Huhsign
Without understanding what most of the measurements mean,
or knowing which measurements each of the machines will record,
I can't tell which will give me the most useful information/reporting to work with in the future.

I know Philips has an iPhone app, can't seem to find much about what ResMed has.

So I am looking for helpDont-know

1) Any opinion on which does the best data collection? Or is there so little difference I should be picking a machine on other criteria.

2) Since there seems to be a variety of software to report on the data, is there a reporting program that is so good and will only work with one or the other that that by itself will determine the one to get.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly welcome.

I'll also start checking out the other threads for pros or cons on the equipment to see if I am off base on the above units.

Thank for providing this forum.
James
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not even a Newbie yet - What machine has best data reporting?
Welcome James, probably what is more important is you pick the machine you like, both do the same job and reporting wise, you can get too lots of software with the Resmed, ResScan and Sleepyhead which are both free to download. Only Sleepyhead works on the Phillips. You don't really need both lots of software, most just use one or the other. The data collection is slightly different between the two machines i.e. leaks are measured differently but you can't go wrong with either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, so it sounds like data collection & reporting may not be a significant buying criteria I thought it was. I appreciate the guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Tez. It's pretty much up to what you like and can live with. I found the Respironics machine to be too noisy and ended up with the S9. If the DME will allow you to try out both machines, do it and see which one you prefer. Tubing and masks are all personal preference items and the only way to find what you like is to take them for a test ride, so to speak.

By the way, Welcome jamespeace
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a difference in how long they store the data but if you download each day or twice per week, you should be okay. Resmed only has some detailed data for 7 days.

Also, Respironics, if I am not mistaken, you cannot change the time on it.

It is all a personal preference. Both machines are good machines. Some like one or the other better. Some say it is easier to breath with the Resmed. If you can, as suggested in another post, try both out and see what you think.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 12:39 AM)jamespeace Wrote: Thanks, so it sounds like data collection & reporting may not be a significant buying criteria I thought it was. I appreciate the guidance.

I have a Respironics System One (currently used as a backup machine) and a Resmed S9 Autoset (current active machine). Both machines are very good. I prefer the S9 Autoset for various small reasons - the display is easier to read, and I feel (no proof) that its algorithm works better to prevent obstructive apneas. If you research the forum you will find a slight preference overall for the S9 Autoset over the PRS1, but either is excellent.

I also strongly recommend SleepyHead software (free, open source, available for any operating system; see link on this site to download). You can have the best machine in the world, but unless you can monitor your results you will be flying in the dark.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Iphone app is crap. Gives you very little info. Part of the "mushroom theory" of patient management.

ResScan, the ResMed data program completely blows away Encore, the PRS1 data analysis program.

SleepyHead works well on both of them.

PRS1 does keep full data longer, so you don't lose data if you don't check it every 7 days, but the S9 still shows some data even for older sessions. It's not as bad as it might seem because, from a practical viewpoint, you're probably not that interested in detailed data from 8 days ago. If you had a bad night, you'll probably check the data sooner than that.

PRS1 is easier to run on batteries.

S9 "feels" smoother and gentler to breath through.

Given the plusses and minuses of PRS1 Auto vs. S9 AutoSet, I'd give a slight edge to the S9, but either one is pretty good.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 12:28 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome James, probably what is more important is you pick the machine you like, both do the same job and reporting wise, you can get too lots of software with the Resmed, ResScan and Sleepyhead which are both free to download. Only Sleepyhead works on the Phillips. You don't really need both lots of software, most just use one or the other. The data collection is slightly different between the two machines i.e. leaks are measured differently but you can't go wrong with either.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

ResScan works for the ResMed S9.
EncoreBasic works for the PRS1.
SleepyHead works for both, but still has a few bugs. Still a great program.

You can get them all for free.

ResScan and SleepyHead are vastly superior to Encore, but Encore still gives you a lot of info.
Get both SleepyHead and the manufacturer's program. Sometimes you want to double check or something may be clearer with one program over the other.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow Thanks so much for all the great input of thoughts, suggestions, recommendation & support already makes me feel better about getting a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 12:22 AM)jamespeace Wrote: Any thoughts or help would be greatly welcome.
ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 93 Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Erasing data on machine sleepingbetterinFl 8 187 03-11-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 236 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.