Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not even a Newbie yet - What machine has best data reporting?
RE: Not even a Newbie yet - What machine has best data reporting?
To echo other posters: those specific models are both good machines. See if you can find a way to try them both, and go with the one that works best for _you_. The longer a trial of each you can manage to arrange, the better. I would hope a week each might highlight any differences which would be meaningful for you. (FWIW, I'm happy with my PRS 560 - and I would probably be at least as happy with the equivalent ResMed S9.)

Using Sleepyhead to understand and take charge may prove to be more important than the machine, as long as the machine is a current-generation ResMed or PRS, and fully data-capable, and comfortable for you and your sleeping environment.

As you know, mask fit is frequently a bigger issue than the choice between those two modern machines. Getting a mask to fit _you_ comfortably without significant leakage (so it doesn't keep you from falling or staying asleep) may be the more important consideration.

I have only good things to say about the ResMed Quattro Mirage - but it still doesn't fit my peculiar face perfectly. Everyone's face is different. I think that the Quattro Mirage manages to adjust to fit more faces, which is a very good thing in the sleep lab, and it's been the first mask to work for me in the long term - but YMMV.

Good luck and be persistent, especially with the DME! There's a wealth of useful information and advice to be found on this board!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 03:07 AM)zonk Wrote:
(02-20-2014, 12:22 AM)jamespeace Wrote: Any thoughts or help would be greatly welcome.
ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

I have the ResMed S9 AutoSet and love it. So I agree with Zonk.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jamespeace,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I prefer the S9AutoSet, but both of the machines you mentioned are good.
Best of luck on your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Both machines are reasonably comparable and you could just flip a coin.

I went through the same decision 3 weeks ago, and being a computer junky wanted the "best" data and most manageable machine.

My choice was the ResMed S9 Autoset, and everything I have read or done with it since had convinced me this was the correct choice.

I do use BOTH Rescan (which everyone agrees is better than the Respironics equivalent) AND SleepyHead the Open Source program.

I find Rescan better for some things and SleepyHead better for other so use them side by side -- also Rescan has prettier reports (it's reporting module is full featured instead of JUST taking screenshots in SleepyHead).

Rescan (or the manufactuer's program) is what the sleep doc is likely accustomed to seeing so I am taking him Rescan reports on Monday.

Opinions will vary and you won't make a BIG mistake either way, but....

Unless you have a VERY specific and convincing reason, go with the ResMed S9 Autoset.

...you will have fewer regrets that way.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I wrote this post last fall to another newbie who was pondering whether to get a Resmed S9 AutoSet or a PR System One Auto CPAP:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e#pid49331

They both record a large amount of data and on both the data is relatively easy to download into SleepyHead. Links to the official software for both of them is also available in the Private Files and Links area of the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 AutoSet data display on LCD screen is the strongest point, way above the rest and none even come close
I don,t even bother with the software to check the numbers, its all there on the sleep report including mask fit (essential for effective treatment) and 95th percentile unintentional leak (no other machine gives such information, most of them pretty useless in this department)
Post Reply Post Reply
About the mask. Be sure and ask if you can return it for a different style if it doesn't work for you. I use the nasal mask. I have a full-face and I really like it, but I haven't successfully been able to get it to stay sealed for more than an hour or so. I did order some liners of some sort, and if they work I'll be using this mask as my number 1. But you need to stay flexible with what type of mask you will end up with. As has been pointed out, both machines you are considering are great, but you will not get much agreement of mask type. It varies greatly from person to person. So just be aware you may have to experiment around a bit with the mask before you get to the point on knowing that you and the mask are one...
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned you need data for work and everyone seems to be giving good advice on the software available.. As far as understanding the numbers, you want to have AHI under 5 and leaks under 24L/min as acceptable ranges.

Like Zonk, I usually just follow my numbers from the LCD screen of my ResMed S9 AutoStart and I jot it down on a notepad along with any other notes that seem appropriate. I put a diary app on my phone to keep all my daily information and notes with me so I can refer to it when ever I need to. The data on the LCD screen does reset at noon each day to be ready for the next night sleep. If you become accustomed to checking your information that way, you will want to look before noon.
Post Reply Post Reply
You do want to be able to swap out your mask.

24 is the magic leak number for ResMed (which subtracts out mask leaks), and Respironics is more like 60 which uses total leak.

I like the LCD screen also on the ResMed Rescan software -- SleepyHead is nice but neither program is everything the other program is.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2014, 07:30 AM)APAAW Wrote: As you know, mask fit is frequently a bigger issue than the choice between those two modern machines.
Yes, but you can swap the mask until you find one that you really like but you cannot swap machines as you do with masks, you,re stuck with the machine for a long time

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 93 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Erasing data on machine sleepingbetterinFl 8 187 03-11-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 236 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.