Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not feeling great after 2.5 month APAP
RE: Not feeling great after 2.5 month APAP
A higher number is needed but the higher number does not stop flow limits. EPR helps flow limits. EPR lowers your exhale pressure so if you have the min (exhale pressure) with EPR 3 your min of 8 (exhale pressure) goes Dow to 5. That is why I suggested you raise it to 8. Again, the LOWEST your machine can go is 4. So you are NOT having a low number ph 8 it is 5.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
What does the best job of resolving flow limitations is pressure support. Your machine offers 3 cm H2O of pressure support, aka EPR. It's the difference between your exhale pressure and your inhale pressure. Bilevel machines can offer greater pressure support, and it's that boost as you breathe in that helps FLs the most.

But we haven't even established that you're that bothered by FLs, so I continue to recommend that you set min = max = 7 or 8, with no ramp and continued EPR of 3. This will get pressure changes completely out of the equation, and we'll see if those pressures are enough to prevent obstructive events.

I completely understand the approach of trying to piece together a decent number of hours of sleep by staying in bed a long time; I sometimes do it myself. But in the long run, it can be counterproductive, since one of the guidelines for better sleep is to keep on a regular schedule for going to bed and getting up in the morning.

While we're at it, here are some other good guidelines:

• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both, the FLs question was posted by another user. But I've been following your suggestions and it works like magic (3 nights and I feel so much better than last 2.5 months with CPAP).
Post Reply Post Reply
I should have checked who posted! But how wonderful to hear things are going so well with you -- thanks for the update!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 554 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 254 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 425 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.