Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not feeling it....
Not feeling it....
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed and received a machine (Phillips System One) and Dr perscribed a full face mask. I could fall asleep easily with it on but the sleep was not comfortable at all as i am a side sleeper 90% of the time, and would get very bad headaches ater waking from wearing the full face mask.

Months later, my family Dr was asking about the machine and when I explained the situation he reccomended/prescribed nasal pillows. I can fall asleep with these and can sleep on my side, however, I do not feel like I am getting enough air with the pillows at all when falling asleep. Falling asleep actually takes longer with the pillows than with the mask or nothing.

Since having the machine and using it, I do not "feel" any better at all but my wife tells me that either the mask or the pillows do stop the loud snoring and she does say that I sleep through the night.

Not being comfortable and not feeling like there is enough air - has anyone on here made this same type of switch, had a similar issue and what did you do to alleviate the condition? (I am thinking I have to up the pressure but reluctant to do so)

Thanks everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not feeling it....
Hi Josephmg50 and welcome
First does help to know which model PRS1 machine are you using, take water tank out and flip the machine upside down ... model number printed on the label. Models numbers below 460 (60 series)/450 (50 series) are not data capable machines

Data capable machines shows AHI and leak which are important indicators if the delivered therapy is optimal or if adjustment is needed otherwise if you bump the pressure and having leaks, the escape air is not helping to keep the airways open so you would snore and suffer an apnea attack which might be the cause of the headache but just a guess without knowing some basic data like AHI (obstructive, clear airway events) and leaks

You need to followup with your sleep doctor, family GP might not the best person to guide you

Its essential to find a mask that feel comfortable, won,t hurt to try nasal mask, its between full face and nasal pillows
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're snoring loudly, sounds like your mouth is open. When using nasal pillows, with the mouth open, you're not getting positive airway pressure.

I side sleep with a full face mask. I think you'll either have to used a FF mask or get a chin strap to keep the mouth closed.

Finding the right mask seems like 90% of the battle in becoming accustomed to CPAP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Josephmg50,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Don't be shy about trying different masks.
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy, so just keep trying 'till you find one that works for you, there are MANY different choices.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 09:31 AM)justMongo Wrote: Finding the right mask seems like 90% of the battle in becoming accustomed to CPAP.

The above is right! I too would suggest either trying a nasal mask, or if the snoring continues another full face (FFM) - even though those are kinda hard to get used to, they really help with us mouth-breathers.

While I've used my dream machine for many years, in the beginning it was a case that my pressure was simply not high enough for comfort. It took a 3rd and 4th study some six months later to prove the need for a higher pressure.

Now without insurance, am having to go by *feel*, which actually has gotten my numbers much better Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 12:48 PM)Peter_C Wrote: While I've used my dream machine for many years, in the beginning it was a case that my pressure was simply not high enough for comfort. It took a 3rd and 4th study some six months later to prove the need for a higher pressure.

While I know not everyone can afford the luxury / necessity, that is one time where an auto machine is a blessing...and if data capable, so much the better. The conversation at the DME is pretty easy when it is "Yeah, so the machine is usually running at a higher pressure than the base and it isn't comfortable for me where it starts...here, have a look at the data. Can we bump the starting pressure up?"

It's usually a "no argument" pressure change at that point, FME Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 01:20 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:
(10-02-2013, 12:48 PM)Peter_C Wrote: While I've used my dream machine for many years, in the beginning it was a case that my pressure was simply not high enough for comfort. It took a 3rd and 4th study some six months later to prove the need for a higher pressure.

While I know not everyone can afford the luxury / necessity, that is one time where an auto machine is a blessing...and if data capable, so much the better. The conversation at the DME is pretty easy when it is "Yeah, so the machine is usually running at a higher pressure than the base and it isn't comfortable for me where it starts...here, have a look at the data. Can we bump the starting pressure up?"

You are so right~!

But back in the day when I first started, the machines were mostly mechanical, zero data (but an hour meter), and you used a vacuum gauge to set the pressure Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Josephmg50

As others have said, the mask is a big chunk of the battle. I've been on a quest for a full face mask (ffm) for when my little one brings home bugs (as in colds, coughs, flu, etc.) and I can't use my nasal mask due to congestion. It is certainly a trial and error thing to find what works for you.

That being said, once the pressure and mask are dialed in, and you've settled into it as well, the results can be dreamy (pardon the pun). Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 01:20 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:

DME's in the U.S. will not change the pressure on a machine without a script for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 05:06 PM)me50 Wrote: DME's in the U.S. will not change the pressure on a machine without a script for it.

That sucks....but I suppose down there everyone and their brother is afraid of getting sued. Sad That's part of the reason for this forum, I guess....empower folks to take charge of (at least part of) their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 306 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 545 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.