Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not feeling much of a change...
Not feeling much of a change...
Hi everyone.

I started cpap treatment in August of last year, and after a tough first couple of months and a pressure adjustment I finally got used to using it every night/all night. I dare say it would be more difficult to fall asleep without it than with it.

My main concern now is that I haven't felt or seen much of an improvement in my daily life. I still feel tired constantly unless I have caffeine, and take naps regularly. My sleep doctor says that my numbers look good but I'm looking to see if there could be improvements made. Below are a couple of readouts from this week. I have an unsophisticated understanding of the data so I only see that the apneic events are on average lower than my diagnoses.

Also it's only been 5 months of treatment so far, and only three of those were consistent. In summary if you can offer any help or have some wisdom to impart that would be much appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not feeling much of a change...
Your doctor was so smart, he set your auto CPAP to fixed pressure mode at 7.5 and left you stranded there. Things are mainly obstructive, and you will benefit from changing to Auto mode and setting pressure to minimum 8.0, maximum 14.0 and whatever Flex setting you are using should be no greater than 2 (not 3). Not impressed with Philips machines for most people, but we can get them optimized a lot better than this. The good news is, your leak rate is low. Minimize the daily calendar on the left column and we can tell a lot more about what is going on. Just click the triangle in the date line or use the view menu.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for responding!

I will say that my original titration session indicated a pressure of 6 would be sufficient, but after the first couple of months of poorish results my doctor allowed the machine to figure out a better setting which resulted in the number you see now. I'm not sure if that's relevant to your recommendation, but thought I would make it known.

What does the flex number represent?

And here are the snapshots without the calendar

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Flex on a Respironics is supposed to add some comfort by allowing some exhale pressure relief. I've not had one that used Flex, but I see comments here it's somewhat helpful but not nearly as good in usage as a ResMed EPR on their AutoSet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahh gotcha, thank you!

My flex setting is at 2. Yeah that was one of the most uncomfortable aspects getting used to the machine, was the pressure on exhale. I think it has helped me so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW comments reveal that flex 3 isn't nearly as good as flex 2 like you're using now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 41 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,714 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.