Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not getting enough air
Not getting enough air
I'm still a newbie here, but I'm getting used to using the CPAP.

When I wear the mask (dreamwear nasal pillow) with no hose attached, I can breathe fine.  However when I have it hooked up to the CPAP (dreamstation go auto) I feel like breathing is hard work.  Like the pipe isn't big enough.  The CPAP supplier suggested that it's because the pressure isn't high enough (6cm).  But since I can get enough air at 0cm (no CPAP) I disagree.

What do you guys think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not getting enough air
Pardon me if I missed it in the post, but how does it feel when the machine is running?

Generally people complain when the machine is at default low pressure, which is 4 cmw. 6 cmw is usually the bottom of where an adult feels comfortable with the low pressure and the complaint begins to be alleviated. I would suggest trying a higher pressure of 7 and adjust it until you feel comfortable.

Without seeing data, I have to say you should be cautious as some folks will experience CPAP induced central apnea. What does your prescription call for, and what was your diagnosis?
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Jesse. Most of us feel air starved at pressure below 6 or so each of us are a little different. Try rasing pressure . Also if you would fill outyour profile and also dowloand sleephead it woukd be of great help when asking questions. The how to is in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2018, 06:15 PM)SueDonym Wrote: I'm still a newbie here, but I'm getting used to using the CPAP.

When I wear the mask (dreamwear nasal pillow) with no hose attached, I can breathe fine.  However when I have it hooked up to the CPAP (dreamstation go auto) I feel like breathing is hard work.  Like the pipe isn't big enough.  The CPAP supplier suggested that it's because the pressure isn't high enough (6cm).  But since I can get enough air at 0cm (no CPAP) I disagree.

What do you guys think?

SueDonym, I'm as puzzled as JesseLee is: it seems that you are trying to breathe without turning on the Dreamstation.  I don't have a Dreamstation; I'm on a ResMed like JesseLee and Gary1of2 (mine is an AirSense like Gary1of2's) but my first PAP was a Respironics and it was just like this one: until you turn it on, it's difficult to draw air.

That being said, my minimum pressure is 8, which is usually fine — but last night after one of my trips to the bathroom, I felt starved and had to pull the nasal pillows away to verify the air was blowing properly.  It took a few minutes but I soon was comfortable.  Can't say why I had that happen, and it certainly was unpleasant and a little alarming.  However, I've been on this forum for a few months and have learned that this kind of experience isn't life-threatening — or even dangerous; it just serves as a notification that we need to do some investigating.

Hope that helps.  Please keep us informed of your progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
OP,

Do you have the ramp feature turned on? If so, you may be getting very little pressure until it "ramps" up to full pressure. If your pressure is supposed to be 6, you shouldn't need a ramp at all. So, this might be something to look into.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel like i'm breathing thru a straw on my machine (admittedly with a full face mask) at anything under 14 cm. Lift your pressure until you feel comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP is saying he/she experiences this with the machine OFF. This is not related to his/her treatment pressures.

To the OP: yes, this is normal. It is because it is a kind of closed system. In order to provide the treatment pressure in addition to determining what is happening on your end of the mask, the machine limits outside input. In a nutshell. When the power goes off at night, I wake up immediately because I can't take in enough air (or think I can't).

In other words, this is very normal. The mask hooked to the hose is not meant to be used without the machine on.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote from OP " However when I have it hooked up to the CPAP (dreamstation go auto) I feel like breathing is hard work." If the machine is not on, not turning on breathing would be almost impossible for me. My Machines turn on automatically when I breath into them, however the first couple of breaths may not feel adequate. If your machine is not turning on automatically use the power button. having gotten past those questions and the machine is on and you do not have adequate air you need higher pressure. See your Respiratory Therapist, your doctor or use the resources offered here to learn how to modify the pressure yourself. There is no law that you cannot change the pressure to suit your needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2018, 07:00 PM)xctraveler Wrote: Quote from OP " However when I have it hooked up to the CPAP (dreamstation go auto) I feel like breathing is hard work." If the machine is not on, not turning on breathing would be almost impossible for me. My Machines turn on automatically when I breath into them, however the first couple of breaths may not feel adequate. If your machine is not turning on automatically use the power button. having gotten past those questions and the machine is on and you do not have adequate air you need higher pressure. See your Respiratory Therapist, your doctor or use the resources offered here to learn how to modify the pressure yourself. There is no law that you cannot change the pressure to suit your needs.

Yep, that's a nice feature of the ResMed machines.  However, not all machines have that feature, and it can be turned off in your machines.

SueDonym seemed to say, and others who responded thought this as well, that her machine was off – meaning that it didn't automagically turn on as yours do.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, bump up the pressure, it is something I had to do as well because at 6 I struggled to get enough air ( now on a fixed pressure of 8 and comfortable with it ). 

With an open hose, or no hose, you have no restriction on the air intake... when it is connected to the machine you are trying to suck air through the CPAP machine filter system. 

It needs the air forced in to the filter with more pressure than your lungs can comfortably suck in. 
As an example - breathe in through your open mouth, then place your closed fingers over your mouth and see how much harder it is to suck air in between your fingers. 

And  Welcome as well..  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.