Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not going to pay for sleep study .. bought cpap
Not going to pay for sleep study .. bought cpap
Hey ive been using cpap machine on and off past year or so..

most of the time not using it but trying to change that.

I have my good night set to about 10.0.

I think i've got a pretty good/ severe case of sleep apnea.

People say i snore like crazy anways..and snort when i stop breathing and start breathing again.

Anyways i can determine a good setting?
If i could get a good deal on an Auto adusting cpap then i would not need sleep study right?
Maybe i should have sleep study can do at home for about 300 eh?
I could handle that.

Thanks mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not going to pay for sleep study .. bought cpap
Welcome mikeinthecountry344,
I can understand that if you don't have insurance (I'm just assuming that you don't), that a sleep study can be expensive. So definitely get the home study done.

We are flying blind here to try and suggest a pressure for you without a sleep study and titration.

Yes, you can get a good deal on an APAP, but there is a chance you may need a different type of machine, then you will have wasted time and money.

Again, get the home study done, then we will have some information to go on.
Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two good machines for sale on the Pittsburgh Craigslist right now, a PRS1 560 auto and a Resmed S9 Autoset. Both are auto-titrating and have great data capabilities. You might want to keep an eye out in your area for similar deals.

I think you can work with your general physician to get prescriptions for masks and other needs. Once you have a data capable machine, it does not diagnose a condition, but it shows your treatment effectiveness. If you think you have apnea, you probably do. Snoring, fatigue, headaches all point to it. A diagnosis from a home study is relatively inexpensive, and the auto machines can provide titration without a lab study. I might suggest you talk to your doctor about a home sleep study, or if he will support you with needed prescriptions, then just work with him/her.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mikeinthecountry344,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum Mike!

The previous posters have made some very good points. My vote is for the home sleep study if you can swing it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto-titrating machine only tells part of the story.

OP may be hypoxic at various levels, so would suggest at least an overnight pulse oximeter to monitor sats and desats, especially if he is only using a straight CPAP machine.

It really helps to have available data as well, OP. What do your Rescan data reveal?

In any event, overnight home study does seem warranted, at least for dx purposes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did the overnight sleep study (my girlfriend works for a sleep doc), then purchased my machine online. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I still recommend getting the sleep study, but like you, I was willing to shell out for a machine right away to get relief (the process in getting a machine was over 4 months). Get an auto machine that works in Sleepyhead first, then save for the sleep study. When you do the sleep study, you will get better results if you discontinue cpap for 3-4 days.

An auto machine isn't going to hurt you, but if you have certain conditions, it isn't going to help either because you need higher settings or a different machine. I'm still puzzled as to why the Respironics 560 loaner doesn't work for me anywhere nearly as well as the Resmed S9 in auto mode, so even if you have the study, some things may need tweaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with OpalRose.

In light of OP's situation, i.e., he already has CPAP, I think that before purchasing APAP or other, sleep study (overnight home or preferably lab) might be better for him. Let's face it, OP and we are 'blind' about his condition. For all we know he may need a different machine than APAP or CPAP. Perhaps he will need BPAP, or ASV type of machine.

This whole discussion is placing the cart before the horse.

On another matter, OP, does your machine (discontinued) really use Rescan? Are you sure? I saw otherwise in doing a Search.

OP, please post some recent data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 11:41 AM)tedburnsIII Wrote: I agree with OpalRose.

In light of OP's situation, i.e., he already has CPAP, I think that before purchasing APAP or other, sleep study (overnight home or preferably lab) might be better for him. Let's face it, OP and we are 'blind' about his condition. For all we know he may need a different machine than APAP or CPAP. Perhaps he will need BPAP, or ASV type of machine.

This whole discussion is placing the cart before the horse.

On another matter, OP, does your machine (discontinued) really use Rescan? Are you sure? I saw otherwise in doing a Search.

OP, please post some recent data.

While I agree with you Ted, the financial reality for many is that they can afford the apap or they can afford the sleep study, but not both the same year. If the OP CAN afford it, I agree that he should do the home sleep study first. If he can't, getting therapy as quickly as possible is better than nothing at all for months. Very few people need BPAP or ASV in the absence of already existing respiratory or heart problems. Even Medicare starts just about everybody on a CPAP first anyway - probably no different where the OP lives.

To clarify, and perhaps others would disagree, seems to me that you are less likely to run into problems running an apap at 6-20 than you could running a straight pressure until your wife reports you are no longer snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.