Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not mouth breathing but air leaking between lips
RE: Not mouth breathing but air leaking between lips
I briefly tried the F10 but recall it has plastic frame that would dislodge the mask sideways on your face when attempting to sleep on your side. Not sure I grasp how you use the non-stretchy velcro. A picture(s) would help. Think we have some velcro material somewhere.

Roy
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2016, 07:00 PM)Roy289 Wrote: A picture(s) would help. Think we have some velcro material somewhere.

Roy

I agree, Frank. I have been thinking of using your technique. Pictures would help us better visualize what you are doing.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy, if you haven't yet tried the chin strap with a nasal mask, doing that would be my first recommendation. If that solves the leak problem, great. If it doesn't, you'll have to go to the full face mask.

Regardless of which mask you use, you must stop the leaks to get effective therapy.

Setting EPR to its maximum value of 3 may help with the aerophagia but watch that it doesn't raise your CA index.

If aerophagia is still a problem, try lowering the pressure, but monitor your OA and H indices closely to make sure they don't go up significantly.

You may have to go to bi-level therapy to address the aerophagia. For me, I need both a lower pressure and bi-level therapy to combat aerophagia, so the solution is auto-adjusting bi-level therapy.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you go, I only had to support the upper straps to get mine to work, if that had not worked, then I was going to cover/replace the lower also. It's easiest if you have double sided velcro, so, it sticks to itself - I try to keep it lose enough that the silicone seal is still inflating and the mask is floating on it, but tight enough that it doesn't leak at my pressure of 19.

The black on the lower straps is to hold them, the velcro on the lower straps had "worn out" and would come lose during the night - guaranteed the "real" velcro won't be wearing out! So I just set strap where I wanted it, and wrapped a pice of the non-stretchy around it to hold it in place.

On the upper straps I Ran a wide piece over the top of my head (it didn't need to be wide, I just thought it did Smile ) and then the smaller width just basically lays on top of the stretchy, goes through the slot at the mask and around the large over the head piece, sticking to the black piece running over the top.

I bought 45 feet of either 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch double sided(it was CHEAP on Amazon - like $12 for 45 feet vs $8 for 6 feet or something like that - it's been a while), and I cut it in half lengthwise to get the narrower pieces. I expect either 1/2" or 3/4" wide would work fine everywhere.

Like I said, I get about 5% to 10% large leaks reported some nights now, if I am sleeping more peacefully, I have had large leaks go down to almost zero.

Oh, the reason I bought the double sided non-stretchy velcro to start with was to try the "baseball cap" chin strap a doctor posted a video on youtube. The idea was to cut the brim off a baseball cap, then use non-stretchy velcro attached to it as a chin strap - velcro runs from cap under your chin and up to the other side. Since it doesn't stretch his theory was that it would hold your jaw closed, since your jaw will open with stretchy, since your jaw is so strong. That works well, but you can still breath/leak through your lips. So, instead of a ball cap, I just used the 2 inch velcro around my head, and then another piece attached to it and down the sides under my chin, so I didn't have to sew it onto a cap - worked great - except the lips leaking part Smile

So, when that didn't work, I tried "fixing" my head gear for the F10 with the same stuff, since I now have a life time supply of it. Amazing all the places you find you can use Velcro when you have a 45 foot roll! LOL.

[Image: IMG_0258.JPG]
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Frank. Nice job on the modification.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, I had to adjust my stretchy straps every fews days, a week in between at most. I have not had to adjust my non-stretch straps even once since I put it together.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, nice job. The picture helps a lot.

Last night put the chin strap underneath my nasal mask head gear. Mask wasn't leaking and was secure even during turns of my head. Woke after 3h 15m and noticed AHI 0.1 ... Looking good

BUT this morning discovered I had two major LL during that first period one lasting 27m and another 13m which must be mouth open.

Second session 2h only one brief 1m LL, remainder very low leaks around 2.5 l/m or zero.

So need another night using chin strap under nasal head gear to check results. Plan to visit DME to return Simplus ffm and discuss options this afternoon.

thanks everyone for your suggestions. Sleepster hope I can avoid changing to bi-level
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2016, 07:57 AM)Roy289 Wrote: BUT this morning discovered I had two major LL during that first period one lasting 27m and another 13m which must be mouth open.

Don't give up on the chin strap too soon. Sometimes it takes time for the mouth-leaking to subside. If it doesn't you'll need a full face mask so keep one handy if you can.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2016, 01:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 07:57 AM)Roy289 Wrote: BUT this morning discovered I had two major LL during that first period one lasting 27m and another 13m which must be mouth open.

Don't give up on the chin strap too soon. Sometimes it takes time for the mouth-leaking to subside. If it doesn't you'll need a full face mask so keep one handy if you can.

I agree. I had to experiment to find where to wear the chin portion of the chin strap for the best results. I found I had to wear it further back toward my throat than normal. I have better luck with my chin strap when I wear it over my headgear. It makes them both more stable for some reason.

robysue made a good point. Finding an acceptable level of leaks is all some people can do. I struggled with leaks with FFMs and nasal pillows until I found a way to make the P10 and a chin strap work well enough to get the treatment I need. Although I haven't completely stopped the leaks, I have them down to a level I can live with. I haven't had a large leak for several months since going with that combination. My RERAs are almost completely gone, AHI is usually below 1 and most importantly, I feel rested when I wake up in the morning.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the Simplus and it leaked near my eyes. I found that after I got it in place, if I slightly lifted and pulled it towards my chin I could get a better seal over my nose.

I ended up changing to the Amara View mask and while it has its own issues to figure out, I have found my mask-no nose pressure, well controlled leaks, no mouth breathing. many love this mask and perhaps as many just can't get it to work right.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 105 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,569 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 292 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 109 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 355 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 356 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 811 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.