Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not needing to urinate (pee) at night.
RE: Not needing to urinate (pee) at night.
(06-05-2016, 08:33 PM)green wings Wrote: This link on the Respironics blog gives a general explanation: The Link Between Bathroom Trips and Sleep Apnea

I'm still not sure I fully understand the reason. It has to do with obstructed breathing, lower-than-normal pressure in the chest cavity, and increased secretion by heart muscle of a hormone called ANP (Atrial natriuretic peptide).

So when you start CPAP treatment, ANP levels apparently go back to normal.

ANP isn't the only factor that can cause nocturia, according to Wikipedia. It just seems to be the one most often associated with sleep apnea.

I find all this fluid balance stuff to be hugely complex. Oh-jeez

Yes - this.

ANP is a diuretic hormone that your atria secretes in response to the apnea incidents.

I have never in all my life slept thru the night without peeing until I began therapy. It's one of my evidences that apnbea has been with me for a long time.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...atriuretic
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
I responded to this thread previously with a "yes I too stopped needing to get up during the night to pee". This recent discussion has caught my attention because I have Central Apnea. I didn't have negative pressures in my chest when trying to breathe because I wasn't trying to breathe. I did have O2 desaturations. The desaturations might have more to do with nocturia. Just a thought.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the advice of this forum, i have decided to up the starting pressure of the machine. I up my pressure every few days. I am now up to 8cm and will increase it again to 8.5cm. The past few weeks I have found I do not need to get up to urinate, I sleep right through the night. Slept a full 8 hours last night with no interruption. I haven't done that for years.

Pleasantly surprised, I had a CPAP but without apneaboard, I would not have gotten here!

I up my machine when my sleephead reports an AHI over 5cm. I heard in here I could probably go up to 11, but I will see. Upping the starting pressure has made all the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WTF. Do you have an auto-adjusting machine that you're using in fixed pressure mode? Just curious.

(06-10-2016, 07:19 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Based on the advice of this forum, i have decided to up the starting pressure of the machine. I up my pressure every few days. I am now up to 8cm and will increase it again to 8.5cm. The past few weeks I have found I do not need to get up to urinate, I sleep right through the night. Slept a full 8 hours last night with no interruption. I haven't done that for years.

Pleasantly surprised, I had a CPAP but without apneaboard, I would not have gotten here!

I up my machine when my sleephead reports an AHI over 5cm. I heard in here I could probably go up to 11, but I will see. Upping the starting pressure has made all the difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2016, 08:04 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi WTF. Do you have an auto-adjusting machine that you're using in fixed pressure mode? Just curious.

(06-10-2016, 07:19 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Based on the advice of this forum, i have decided to up the starting pressure of the machine. I up my pressure every few days. I am now up to 8cm and will increase it again to 8.5cm. The past few weeks I have found I do not need to get up to urinate, I sleep right through the night. Slept a full 8 hours last night with no interruption. I haven't done that for years.

No, it's in APAP mode. I'm just adjusting the minimum pressure upwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
So your treatment pressure is 8.0-15.0 cm?

Do you know what 90% (or 95%) pressure and median pressure your machine (or SleepyHead) reports?

(06-10-2016, 11:03 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: No, it's in APAP mode. I'm just adjusting the minimum pressure upwards.

Post Reply Post Reply
Guess I'm just lucky, usually have to go a couple times a night. A rare night when I sleep straight through.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2016, 01:15 PM)green wings Wrote: So your treatment pressure is 8.0-15.0 cm?

Do you know what 90% (or 95%) pressure and median pressure your machine (or SleepyHead) reports?

(06-10-2016, 11:03 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: No, it's in APAP mode. I'm just adjusting the minimum pressure upwards.

My 90% pressure for June is 13 cm H2O according to SH.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know the chances of this happening to any other person on this board is zilch, but realize that there is more than one cause of needing to pee at night repeatedly. I kept putting it down to not getting enough sleep (RLS), taking my mask off at night and not putting it back on, as well as disruptions from firecrackers and thunderstorms. That was until I tested myself one morning and GACK, my blood glucose was over 300! It seems that I no longer produce insulin (not type 2, but LADA) and so the constantly getting up to pee was all the sugar in my blood. The sad part is that I did test on a daily basis, but just one time a day as per doctor orders and apparently kept missing the very high numbers. I should have been more suspicious since I do eat a lower carb diet. Now that I test 8 times a day, I can see how I kept missing the obvious.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 209 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 207 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 804 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 347 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,603 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] seemingly needing way less sleep lately Nintendogeek7065 2 334 10-21-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 873 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.