Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not really mouth breathing, just leakage
Not really mouth breathing, just leakage
I've had my CPAP now for about 3 weeks and have gotten good results, AHI-wise. Average is 1.6 (usually <1) after being diagnosed with a range of 20 to 35.  I feel I spend a lot of time at night adjusting my Respironics DreamWear Pillow mask because it tends to move and therefore leaks a bit - nothing serous but it makes enough noise to cause me to play with it.  More importantly though, I find that air is leaking out my lips at times and that produces noises that bother my wife.  It doesn't seem to effect my AHI or leak rate, but it is an annoyance.  I don't feel like a chin strap will affect it since my lips barely part.  It's more like the high pressure is steadily pushing out.  I have tried tape over my mouth but even though it stays adhered, it doesn't always stop the leak (I have a beard, so that may have some effect).  I don't really understand the tongue sucking method in Sheepish's signature.  Can anybody explain it more throughly for me?  Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks for the help - this is a very informative forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not really mouth breathing, just leakage
I use the Ultimate Chin Strap to minimize mouth leaking. Wrapping with an Ace bandage will also work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am awful at the tongue suck thing. OpalRose is the expert on it.

I lip leak (mouth closed, air leaks out of lips) and tried a variety of things to get it to stop. The PAPCap worked well-ish (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Pur-Sleep). I eventually got tired of all the gear on my head and used a full face mask for about a year or more. Switched back to the nasal pillows and the problem had resolved itself. I'm doing it again, though, so I will have to go back to the FFM again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DBBCPAP,
This takes some time and practice.  If you can master this technique, it is worth the effort.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth, but not pushing on teeth.

Slowly and gently suck upwards and back.

This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

Practice during the daytime when not using your machine.  (No one will know you are doing it) Rolleyes

I used to have to use a chin strap when I first started, and I hated it...so was determined to master this.

I know lip leaking is a bit different than mouth breathing, but some use a soft cervical collar that helps by keeping the chin up, which should keep the lips closed.
Some use a neck pillow called the Eliminator or Dr. DaKota for chin tucking that may help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason the soft cervical collars or partial wedges (See Dr Dakota Snoring Stop or Snore Eliminator) work is that they gently apply pressure under the jaw. This makes it more likely your tongue will remain near the roof of your mouth where it blocks air. The problem with chin straps is, they tend to be uncomfortable and they pull the jaw back as well as up. This can make obstruction worse. Learning to control the pressure using the tongue is a skill you will acquire in time, so don't be frustrated. Many of us using nasal pillows can talk, drink water, and control the air pressure even with an open mouth with the CPAP on. Practicing this may result in some interesting results at first, but eventually you will learn how the pressure can be controlled by the tongue and breathing techniques. This seems to translate to sleep as well. The fundamental is the tongue suck technique Opalrose posted.

Don't be frustrated, it is usually a matter of time. You may have occasional mouth leaks, but the frequency usually goes down as you adapt and learn to control pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses.  Maybe the key is to try the technique while the CPAP is on?  Otherwise, I do not have anything to gauge when my tongue is positioned properly.  I'll try it that way - but will save the drinking of water until I master it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,176 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 385 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.