Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not so new to BiPap... Trying to go back at it
Not so new to BiPap... Trying to go back at it
Well... just brief summary... Diagnosed around 2002 or so. Tried to make it work, and just couldn't get a mask to work for me. Tried full face, nasal, nasal pillows... nothing seemed to work..

Well, it's now 14 yrs later, and recent issues have guided me back into trying again.

I pulled the machine out of the closet, set it back up, and it all seems to work fine. Now, I just have to freshen it up a bit... filters, hoses and a new mask....

Have masks changed significantly over the years? My main issue with the full face masks was air leakage around the nose, going into my eyes and drying them out....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not so new to BiPap... Trying to go back at it
Hi neonhomer,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Glad to hear you are trying again, and I would guess that a lot has changed in 14 years, masks and machines.

There are many here that use full face masks, and I'm sure they will be around to help, but maybe you should consider a different style, like the new DreamWare nasal mask or even the ResMed nasal pillow mask. Take a look at the supplier list at the top of the page, and just start looking at photos of the different masks to get some ideas.

Do you have a DME or a supplier that will work with you and help in choosing a mask?

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
neonhomer,

I'd issue a welcome but OpalRose or one of the others I'm certain will be along to welcome you to the site..

I'm not telling you what to do, but I might think after a 14 year lapse in use of the previous device it might be worth while to start with a new study and titration so you can get your existing machine (or a newer one) set more correctly to what you might need now.

I know I was first diaged in 1998, then again in about 2005 and most recently March of this year.

In 1998 I had a fixed 10 cmH2O requirement. I was only worth 1 Oink

In 2005 I had a fixed 14 cmH2O requirement. I was worth 3 Oinks

In 2016 I have a 20/12 cmH2O requirement. Now I'm worthy of a full 8 Oinks!
Dielaughing

Just sayin' that while you are still you, things change....

I ain't no medical person, and those are just my muddled thoughts along the way....
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm working on getting a new study done. It's part of the reason why I am dragging the equipment out to check it out.

When I was first diagnosed in 2002, I was at a 10/16 BiPap...

Around 2007 or so, I did another study, but it was botched. It was a small sleep center with six other patients, and it was a split night. They came in and fit me with the mask and new pressure, but there was some lid who insisted on having his TV on almost wide open. He was asked numerous times to turn it down, but as soon as the attendants left, he would turn it back up. Finally, after about two hours of that, I signaled for them to come in and unhook me.. I was leaving. They said I fell asleep, but I didn't recall it... they upped the pressures to like 12/17, and was supposed to return with my machine to reset it for the new pressures... I never did.

With the recent issues I have been having (syncope from a cough), both my pulmonologist and neurologist are saying I should go back for another study and to start using the machine again. I'm all for trying again, but if masks haven't changed much, then it might be a futile effort.

The machine I have now, a Respironics BiPap Plus (Not an M Series) w/ the heated humidifier) only has around 100 hours on it. As long as it works like it should, I don't want to spend the money on a new machine if I can help it. (My insurance sucks, and I get stuck with ALL DME costs out of pocket.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: if masks haven't changed much, then it might be a futile effort.

Masks remain the hardest part to get right. Faces vary so much - thin, fat, round, square chin, pointy chin, big nose small nose.... That's why there are so many different makes and models of mask on the market. Even a mask which is perfect in every way might have one significant flaw, such as leaking up the side of your nose and blowing into your eyes. (I have overcome this by laying a couple of thicknesses of flannelette over the bridge of my nose to reinforce the seal).

Try to find a supplier who will allow you to return a mask which doesn't work for you. It's also good if they can assist you to get a perfect fit - sometimes a change in the strap tension is all that's required.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed a few suppliers who are doing this... at least online...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi neonhomer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy this time around.
You would be better served by the newer technology from the newer machines when you can get one.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2016, 08:15 PM)neonhomer Wrote: Have masks changed significantly over the years?

In my opinion, yes. Newer designs (and possibly new materials) have made a difference.

Which machine do you have. The information in your profile is not enough for us to be able to tell just which machine you have.

Newer machines are smarter, better, and quieter. You could get a machine like mine, get the bi-level therapy you're getting now, but with the ability to report how well it's treating you and even adjust its pressure as needed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think one of the most important differences between your old machine and modern equipment is the ability to get efficacy data feedback. Imagine if you could look at the data and see issues that let you optimize the settings to get both comfort and effectiveness. With the old machines, you relied on how you felt. With the new ones, you can see if you are having central, obstructive or hypopnea events. It makes a big difference in how you approach the therapy, and can replace the need for sleep studies. I had an older Respironics M-Series, and upgraded to the System One 60 series and currently use a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (bilevel). The machines have gotten smaller, quieter, smarter, and even cheaper if you know how to buy.

I wouldn't waste my time with the old BiPAP plus; although I'm sure it works okay, it won't show you if it is working for you. The newer masks are much smaller, lighter and quieter. Glad to see you finally addressing the problem, and I think you will be surprised at how much better the equipment and data feedback is.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,973 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.