Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not sure how it will end up......
RE: Not sure how it will end up......
I would like to add hospital administrators to the list of those who need their eyes opened about sleep studies. The hospital where I had my sleep study converted their typical sleep lab into a space for a more lucrative medical specialty. The “sleep lab” is now a small area shared with the chemo infusion folks. The beds are 3” of foam on a metal slab, slightly narrower than a twin size, and squeezed in next to the chemo chairs. There are two bathrooms in the area and, of course, no showers or place to set down one’s toiletries (really! I had to hold my toothpaste while I brushed. I didn’t even try to wash my face). There are lots of signs reminding chemo patients to flush twice! Sleep study patients must be out by 6:30am so there is time to clean before the chemo patients start arriving at 7am. 

I have to wonder how they are able to obtain accurate information in that environment. I supposedly slept for about 4 hours, off and on. I know that my sleep wasn’t even close to what it is normally: my hips hurt all night long and I didn’t have enough room to turn over in one move (it took many small adjustments to turn over without sending the box that all the leads were plugged into off the bed). My AHI was 98. No drop in oxygen sats, no BP spikes, sleep was consolidated. I question the accuracy. However, I don’t question the results of using my APAP when I sleep. Lifelong depression that I worked hard to quell over the past few years but couldn’t quite shake is finally in total remission!
Post Reply Post Reply
Victoria Hospital in London ON was where I had my first sleep study.

Walked through tunnels to gt to the old Nurse's Residence.

Getting fitted up, I watched the bugs on the floor.

They glued all my fittings on. And it took a week to get the glue out of my hair.

While they were doing it, they said the Residence was haunted...hadn't seen the ghosts themselves....

Did I sleep? Just long enough. got up once for a trip to the washroom. No ghosts....

OPP seargeant getting fitted up at the same time. I wondered if he had a Glock with him.

Nope. didn't sleep well.

That was about 35 years ago. Severe sleep apnea. Slept (just) long enough.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
First sleep study was in a strip mall medical center. Was actually very comfortable and quite well done. When it was over, they had coffee if you wanted it and gave me a coupon for the Carl's Jr across the street.

My last one was in the sleep center of a local hospital and I froze my butt off. The thermometer in the room said 60F and they said they couldn't turn it up. Didn't get coffee or anything from them. It the local Dunkie's on the way home (across the street from the hospital).
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a two night sleep study done in a dedicated facility. It was local and only a few miles from where we used to live. 

The beds were quite comfortable and the place was modern and clean. The staff did a fine job.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.