Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not sure where to begin
RE: Not sure where to begin
I'm not sure of my history with central apneas, but yes I did take opoids after my surgery.  I'm at the point now where I only take the occasional pain pill.  (twice in the last week)    I did notice a definite spike in my AHI graph right after the surgery.  I would have expected it to diminish back to the norm by now though...?
Post Reply Post Reply
can you post a sleepyhead chart from pre surgery?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your graphs could still use some refinement, but let's confirm your settings and where you're at for therapy. Your machine (Auto BiPAP 760) is set to Auto B mode with EPAP min 12, IPAP max 25, PS min 0.0 and PS max 8.0. The Philips machines are notoriously slow to respond to obstructive events, and yours is doing a poor job. In spite of all the obstructive events, your median pressure is at 12.9 cm and the maximum pressure reaches 16.0 and your machine seems stuck on zero pressure support, meaning IPAP and EPAP are equal.

I think your problem is a combination of positional apnea where your head and neck alignment are causing your airway to be occluded (chin tucking), and you appear to need a higher minimum EPAP pressure. My recommendation is to strongly consider a soft cervical collar or wedge to prevent your chin from tucking (see link to wiki below) and an increase in minimum pressure and minimum pressure support. Let's start with a minimum EPAP pressure of 11, and increase the minimum PS to 3.0. If you provide your neck circumference we may be able to better suggest a collar or wedge. The revised pressure settings should give you pressures ranging from 14/11 (IPAP/EPAP) to as high as 25/22, however I don't expect the machine will increase nearly that high. If you can correct the chin tucking, the OA events may significantly decrease as shown in these wiki articles we wrote for members with flow limitations and obstruction associated with poor head alignment or chin tucking. The increase in minimum pressure support is simply to use your BiPAP in a more comfortable way and to see if it will properly deliver pressure support. There is a small risk that using pressure support may increase CA events, but I think we can deal with that if we see it.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2019, 09:02 PM)bonjour Wrote: can you post a sleepyhead chart from pre surgery?

Sure.  Not sure if you meant literally right before the surgery, but this is the night before my surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
again you have no events showing, please enable them
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2019, 09:31 PM)bonjour Wrote: again you have no events showing, please enable them

Sorry about that, still learning the software.    I've attached a new screenshot.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is going to take a bit for you to get the charts right.
Keeping it simple till you sort it. look up your machine in the list
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
I would change the min PS from 0 to 3 as suggested.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
After major surgery, one is necessarily forced into the most comfortable and sustainable positions.  This will be very true while trying to stay asleep.  As Sleep Rider has expressed, it would be a strong suspicion in my mind when addressing what appear to be positional events, or events that my be highly dependent on one's sleep position.  It's about all that is left now that any opioids or other semi-stupefactants are out of the picture.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your responses! I hope to look into it further this evening when I have some more time.

I may have to look into some sort of collar. My neck circumference is about 19 inches.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2019, 02:40 PM)Yawn Wayne Wrote: Thanks everyone for your responses!   I hope to look into it further this evening when I have some more time.

I may have to look into some sort of collar.   My neck circumference is about 19 inches.

I'm not going to suggest it is necessarily so in your particular case, but I learned early in my own diagnosis that neck circumference is fairly highly correlated to sleep apnea.  I seem to recall that if one's neck circumference is greater than 15" (38 cm), one runs the risk of having or developing obstructive sleep disorders of some kind.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do I begin? [AirCurve 10 ST to Aircurve 10 ASV ] Bird Brain 56 5,080 12-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dreamstation replacements will begin shipping soon Gideon 0 514 08-12-2021, 10:06 AM
  [CPAP] New to CPAP and figuring out how to begin while waiting for consult/tests Pawther 38 3,324 12-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not Diagnosed, But Let The Experiment Begin rsandhu 17 1,798 08-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: ar14
  Time to begin my journey dsmith14469 5 1,435 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Idea [News] DMEs to begin delivering CPAPs for your pet ApneaNews 26 5,496 04-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  When did you first begin to suspect that you had apnea? OMyMyOHellYes 24 6,399 08-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Last Post: sleepygeek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.