Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not to waste things .... S9 DC converter
Not to waste things .... S9 DC converter
Just a quick comment:  Today I got a 12-24 V DC converter for the S9 units.  CRIPES!  This thing is bulky and heavy! Why would I do this? Considering the contempt I have for 24 V systems??? My Scot genetic roots simply won't let me waste it.  (I mush the old worn out soap sliver onto the new bar in the shower, too.) And as old and long in the tooth the S-9 design is getting to be, I wonder how much longer the DC converters will be available for the S-9.

Seriously. Absolutely fricking ridiculously large.  In a big way.  But those guys that made it force you to buy and use it if you want to run off of DC.  I won't go much further, but this one of the reasons I am inching towards describing my emotions toward this manufacturer as disgust, disdain, or discotheque.

But I got it because I saw the light and moved on to Respironics equipment a couple years back, leaving me with an S9 that is sitting unused.   And so, in order to make it compatible with the battery backup setup I gots, I need it to run on DC power (preferrably 12 V DC power like virtually every sane manufacturer uses), but the S-9 don't.  So the only way to get this thing to work is to use their darned shoe box-sized converter (well, they would have to be small shoes, but shoe box size nonetheless).  I need to roughly get my units synced up WRT total blower time and then swap them out every month or two.

Soooooo.  I sit here having disassembled the cigar lighter converter and I am about to cut it off the end of the cord so as to install a proper Anderson PowerPole connector so it will hook into my equipment. 

So, unless I at some time need to upgrade to an ASV or BiPAP at some point, I should be set for machines for likely the rest of my life...  Or maybe I'm a hoarder.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Gosh, did I mention how big and heavy this thing is?  I cannot imagine how anyone would want to schlep this along with the unit as a travel machine.  It probably outweighs my S-8 traveler.  Well, maybe not.  It tips the scales at 25 oz buck nekkid. And I plugged it into one of my backup batteries and it fired right back up like it didn't miss a night since I took it out of rotation 2-3 years ago in favor of the PR SystemONE.

OMMOHY

Gratuitous graphic below:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not to waste things .... S9 DC converter
Had to chuckle at your story!..My husband has an S-9 and uses the bulky converter when we are out in our travel trailer. The size isn't as bad there where you don't have to carry the CPAP equipment, but I'm very happy with my little battery pack for my 12 volt PR 560!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not to waste things .... S9 DC converter
Yeah, that's probably one of the deciding features in favor of the Respironics units - they just let you hook up a plain old 12 V battery no muss or fuss.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,301 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 728 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR expert needed - out of things to try.... pezhead99 20 1,553 09-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Things Going Well on Paper, Symptoms Remain cpapnewbie18 1 448 03-07-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
  Need some help with a few things please Weegie 13 916 02-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Weegie
  ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV Power Converter for International Travel? SaminDenver 1 543 12-12-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Five months in, things still aren't much better manacles 11 1,264 12-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Last Post: manacles

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.