Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not using your therapy until you purchase equipment cleaning machine
RE: Not using your therapy until you purchase equipment cleaning machine
(10-14-2018, 06:38 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: My thoughts:  If it's medicine )or medical equipment), and they have to advertise it on TV to get folks to beg their docktors to prescribe it, it must not be very good medicine to start with.

If pharm reps, the ones that are usually real cute girls with perky chesticles, can't get the docs to prescribe it, then it must really be bad stuff.....

And don't forget the 4" heels.

My wife's sleep doc sells them from the office - $299 and includes the adaptor. Most insurances won't cover it, I know mine laughed when I asked them about it jokingly.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is not prescription any where and not medical equipment. The people making the questionable "claims" are users and not the company. as long as users actually wrote to them saying what they said, even if that is not actually them in the ad, well sorry but that part of the ad does not violate anything and they are not going to pull the ad.

On a side note and not to jump all into this subject yet again.

Personally I think dishwashers are a waste of money, along with clothes washers and dryers. You can do all that by hand and save all that money. You have dishwashers that you must really pre-rinse the dishes, so even though they are actually sold to be used to "clean" the dishes, they don't "really" do that now do they? Won't even go into pre-treating laundry not "cleaning" either.

just saying, a fair playing field for criticizing things might be helpful. But hey I am right there with you, so please don't misinterpret this post, I do not recommend that any of use this product.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2018, 05:57 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Personally I think dishwashers are a waste of money, along with clothes washers and dryers. You can do all that by hand and save all that money. You have dishwashers that you must really pre-rinse  the dishes, so even though they are actually sold to be used to "clean" the dishes, they don't "really" do that now do they? Won't even go into pre-treating laundry not "cleaning" either.

just saying, a fair playing field for criticizing things might be helpful.

Not really comparable. If someone sold a "SoClean Clothes Washer" that only subjected clothes to ozone and didn't remove stains you'd have a good analogy. But that is not the case with home washing machines.

Both clothes washers and dish washers do, in fact, clean, and do so quite well. Modern dishwashers also clean dishes using less water than even the stingiest of hand washers (the water you hear constantly is recirculated by a pump). Consumer reports even recommends against pre-washing dishes because modern dishwashers with the right detergents don't need it and it is a waste of water.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwash...ur-dishes/

So, in a " fair playing field for criticizing things" SoClean still doesn't clean and is rightly called out for that. The name "SoClean" comes from the manufacturer, not users. And the scare tactic ads? Those come from the manufacturer, too.

Now, what some users of SoClean do do is threaten people who point out the above with libel lawsuits and even offer to be the "expert" witness in the case. Now that is on users, not the manufacturer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Truly Stom, This is how you understand my post? I have no idea where you get any of that. Or how you might have come to your conclusions, But you sure are entitled to them. Have a good day
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2018, 08:15 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Truly Stom, This is how you understand my post? I have no idea  where you get any of that. Or how you might have come to your conclusions, But you sure are entitled to them. Have a good day

Gee, where would I get the the idea that you are trying to defend SoClean by claiming that neither clothes washers or dish washers clean either. I mean, you'd really have to read inbetween the lines to get such an idea...

(10-16-2018, 08:15 PM)PoolQ Wrote: You have dishwashers that you must really pre-rinse the dishes, so even though they are actually sold to be used to "clean" the dishes, they don't "really" do that now do they?

Yup, it's soooo subtle I'm pretty sure nobody but me could come to that conclusion ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't matter if something works or not. It only matters if people buy it. SoClean might not do anything but neither did the Pet Rock. As far choices on buying things I remember the ugly looking lime green AMC Gremlins running around. No accounting for what people will buy. Dependability and the name Gremlin just don't go together.
But people bought them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2018, 05:57 PM)PoolQ Wrote: But hey I am right there with you, so please don't misinterpret this post, I do not recommend that any of use this product.

If you agree that SoClean and products like it are basically snake-oil, then why do you keep interjecting objections into threads when someone critiques these types of products?

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2018, 08:15 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Truly Stom, This is how you understand my post? I have no idea  where you get any of that. Or how you might have come to your conclusions, But you sure are entitled to them. Have a good day
It happens that I had typed a somewhat terse reply to you as well, and held the cursor over "Post Reply", but thought better of it.  So, if I found your post to be close to/mostly objectionable, and Stom has found it to be such that he commented as he did, maybe the problem was with you?

Here is what I was going to say to you:

We have a three year old GE dishwasher that has worked well for us, except for a minor repair under warranty for a leaking inlet valve.  We NEVER rinse our dishes or pots prior to placing in the machine.  As for our clothes washer, our only routine pre-treatment is with an enzymatic stain fluid.  That machine also does a wonderful job and uses little water.  As with all things, there are variables which must be controlled for.  How 'bout water hardness, or the efficacies of various detergents, cold or hot, water, the type and length of agitation, the number of rinses, etc.  Same for dishwashers.  Your experience with such things seems to be vastly different from mine, and we've owned the push-around type of dishwasher (Inglis), KitchenAid, and GE.

Whether or not the people speaking on behalf of SoClean are genuine users or merely shills, the company is making a public claim of the urgent need for people to use their product...or else it isn't worth using their machines.  I call such claims horse pucky.  It borders on being unethical because it is untruthful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Marketing defined by Dave: Selling people on a product or idea and that they are better off with it than without it despite other methods or products that exist that are working equal or better for less investment.

SoClean are the pockets/wallets of those that bought in.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a SoClean and have used it now for about 2 years. The reason I bought it is because I can easily get bronchitis and pneumonia and did so on a regular basis when I wasn't a regular CPAP cleaner. I was lazy and paid for it dearly.

I think SoClean is overrated and also overcriticized. It seems to be a very polarizing item in the CPAP community with users and providers. For example my Neurologist recommends them but does not sell them nor give coupons. He considers it an extra layer of security along with regular cleaning.

The problem I have with it is twofold; 1) it is overpriced and 2) it is marketed with questionable messaging. If the SoClean was marketed for only what it does it would have a different name and not sell 1/10 of what the volume probably is.

So, for their business to survive and thrive they seem to have (or in fact have) crossed a line in their marketing methods that deceives the would be buyer. That said, I'm still glad I purchased mine and I only use mine once a week. I also am NOW a thorough hand washer. My tools of preference are a dedicated bucket, Dawn soap and a monthly white vinegar solution soak.

My brother, who is also on CPAP therapy asked me if he should buy one. Like me he could afford it but I told him not to bother. That it does kill germs but unless you are washing thoroughly and regularly you are not getting off the dirt, grime, oil and the bad stuff in and under that out of your hose and mask. Instead I strongly encouraged him to have a more robust and regular cleaning regimen. That it does not really take that much time at all and will give him peace of mind. Most people can get by with irregular cleaning and sometimes no cleaning at all and have nothing bad happen. That is not me and probably not my brother since we come from the same genetic pool.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.