Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Not using your therapy until you purchase equipment cleaning machine
Angry 
Not using your therapy until you purchase equipment cleaning machine
I think most folks have seen the ad on TV saying you should not bring your CPAP machine home until you purchase their CPAP cleaning unit.
     I hope all of you will ignore that very dangerous recommendation.
     I have been a sleep tech for 28 years, and I have experienced patients dying  because they have put off getting and using their positive pressure therapy devices.
     Please get your device ASAP and begin using it immediately, and use it every time you sleep even if it is only a nap. Sleep apnea occurs even during short sleep times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not using your therapy until you purchase equipment cleaning machine
Funny thing is: I totally don't trust those machines. :-)

I'd much rather take my machine apart and clean the bits myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't seen the ads, but I know enough at this point to realize that they are bogus.  Between filter changes and tube/mask/headgear cleaning and inspection, with simple dish soap and warm water (and a sterilizing agent probably wouldn't hurt now and then), there's no need for fancy shmancy cleaning agents and machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
The TV ads say they "clean" but they can't.  They are passing a gas thru from what I can tell.  The best thing they do is make the users feel better.  Sanitation cannot effectively occur unless all components are first cleaned.  Cleanliness is the first step for sanitation and IMHO these products fail miserably in that regard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those cleaning machines are EXCELLENT!

At separating suckers from their money.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always contact both the station that is showing the ad and the medical board. Don't think it would be up there long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2018, 01:26 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: You could always contact both the station that is showing the ad and the medical board.  Don't think it would be up there long.

The medical board doesn't care. it's not medical equipment. The station isn't about to pull the ad. That's how the station makes money. They could care less if it's truthful or not. You would be hard press to find very many ads that tell the whole truth.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My thoughts: If it's medicine )or medical equipment), and they have to advertise it on TV to get folks to beg their docktors to prescribe it, it must not be very good medicine to start with.

If pharm reps, the ones that are usually real cute girls with perky chesticles, can't get the docs to prescribe it, then it must really be bad stuff.....
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of them dead folks were pretty smart way back when people spoke them funny languages like Aramaic, Latin, and wrote in Cuneiform or Greco/Roman alphabets.  One of their sayings that still rings true is, "Caveat emptor."  Adults are responsible for informing themselves, or for accepting that they allowed themselves to be duped.  That latter outcome sucks, surely, but it's always a teaching moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not seen the TV ads because I don't watch TV. Even so, I have my equipment to clean the ASV and accessories.

Dawn and warm water. With air to dry it...and no it's not hot air I provide, thank you.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 50 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,259 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,332 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.