Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils?
Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils?
I've been using the Nuance Pro for a week.  I've finally mastered keeping it sealed all night (by pulling the straps tight, and shoving all my hair between the straps). 

But my current problem is that it's hard to know if the pillow is aligned well.  Sometimes I feel like the air isn't blowing well into my nostril - it feels like maybe my nose/flesh may be blocking some of the output.

Short of putting on the mask in front of a mirror with light, are there any other techniques to ensure it is lined up well?  (I put it on at my bedside, after I've turned off the lights.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils?
You may need to go up or down a size with the cushion. That’s how I feel with small and large cushions with my pillows. They aren’t the nuance but the problem you describe sounds universal for all pillow masks
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, but I seldom have luck putting my mask on in the dark. Trying a larger size pillow might be the answer, but besides that...once you have your mask on and air is flowing, try pulling the pillows slightly away from your nose and let fall back against your nose, or jiggle the nose pillow up/down and left/right until it feels like it will seal against your nose.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 but go through a similar process. I tried all 3 size pillows. Put it on in the dark. I use points on the mask to line up on my face. 

Most important, after it comes to pressure, I put my fingers where the strap splits and push it away from my nose. Then let it settle back. This gives me a good alignment. 

I have also been to give it the “Bewitched” nose wiggle. Some times helped.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
With the P10s, it's easy because the part going into the nostrils is pretty stiff.

But with the Nuance Pro, it's a large chunk of jiggly gel. So it tilts and smushes. And because it's soft smushy gel, my nose can't really feel the curves of it to know if it's pointing where it needs to (even with air coming out).
Post Reply Post Reply
I just switched to the Nuance Pro a week ago - my first nasal pillows!  Because it is so soft, I find that tightening the straps too much makes it more difficult to seal correctly.  

I wipe it off every day to make sure to remove skin oils, etc (this was not necessary with my previous full face mask).

Then I have the straps very lightly tightened and it's a matter of manipulating the pads until they align with my nostrils.  Earlier discussion of pulling them off the nose and letting them settle back down is correct.   If the straps were tightened as much as for my full face mask, I would never get them sealed.   It is the most lightly tensioned straps that I have ever used in order to get the Nuance to seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify... I have no problem sealing and keeping the seal. Rather, I don't think they're aligning well into my nostril, and they're getting tilted and thus the air flow is being impeded.

I guess I can try putting it on in front of the mirror. I just find it so undignifying to walk around (even just to bed) with my mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Search for a YouTube video on fitting that particular mask. Maybe there’s some hints there that would help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 72 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.