Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nuance mask?
RE: Nuance mask?
(12-12-2013, 11:18 AM)me50 Wrote: I didn't explain my question very well. Mine came with the one hose but it attaches to the climate line tubing. I didn't know what the purpose of the hose is for or if it truly needs to be attached to the climate line tubing. Guess I will find out tonight in my sleep study. Glad last night with the nuance wasn't a bad experience.

There is a white hose that goes between the mask and the CPAP. Other than that, there is no other hose.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 06:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(12-12-2013, 11:18 AM)me50 Wrote: I didn't explain my question very well. Mine came with the one hose but it attaches to the climate line tubing. I didn't know what the purpose of the hose is for or if it truly needs to be attached to the climate line tubing. Guess I will find out tonight in my sleep study. Glad last night with the nuance wasn't a bad experience.

There is a white hose that goes between the mask and the CPAP. Other than that, there is no other hose.

okay, I have my hose that came with the wisp attached to my climate line tubing as instructed when I was at the sleep lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 12:02 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I've just received the Nuance this week and I have mixed feelings about it. I have been using the Swift Fx for Her for over 3 years so I might have a bit of a 'prejudice' for it since I have not ever used any other one. When the Respiratory therapist who works for the supply place that provides my cpap supplies encouraged me to come in for a proper fitting, I thought that might be a good idea.

My mask must be the Nuance and not the Pro. My mask has the fabric straps and not the gel type straps on the side. I've yet to be comfortable with any of the 3 size pillows, but then again I did not know that the pillows are supposed to fit 'outside' the nostrils? Do I understand that correctly? My AHI was a lilttle higher but not that much.

Yes, there's the outer, wider ring (which I think has a blue tint) sits right outside the nostril while the smaller, inner ring, goes inside. Other nasal pillows are kind of graduated like a plug and insert so far in with the wider end forming the seal. But with the Nuance, not much at all is actually inside the nostril.

Quote:One thing I find frustrating is the short hose and how much it seems to twist out of place, not that it comes disconnected - just moves more than the Swift FX. Maybe because I'm older and more set in my ways - I'm finding this mask to be a challenge. I want to be able to use a new mask as I'm tired of the old one plus it sometimes makes noise that is most annoying.

YES! That dang hose is, like, alive! It is hard to control, even when in the headgear loop! Not sure I like that either. On the one hand, I like that it is soft and can take impact from the bed pillow with out moving the mask out of place. A harder hose can't do that. But on the other hand, it's ALIVE!

Quote:Any suggestions on the process of getting used to this mask would be most appreciated. I don't think the mask is bad - it is me that is having trouble getting used to it. Is there a video that demonstrates this mask and how it is supposed to operate?

Here is the manufacturer's website information:
http://www.theanswer.philips.com/nuance/

Then go to YouTube and do a search for Nuance mask. You'll get lots of results.

Quote:p.s. Have I done something wrong on this forum? I notice just beneath my signature that I have 0% warning. I sure don't mean to cause anyone trouble or break any rules.

No, everyone has that. But only you can see yours. 0% means you've been a good girl! Bigwink If you were to ever do anything to earn a warning, you would be told why.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
A few things?

The 'extra' hose that they send with the Wisp, etc - is a super light and flexible hose that is supposed to be used between the mask and your regular hose, by design it is supposed to not pull on your mask as much as the regular hose - hence the reason for it to be lighter, and more slinky-like.

While I am back on my Wisp right now, I seem to breathe better with a nasal pillow type mask, but I do not like the nose smooshing at all. Paula02, have you found that issue to go away or still be there? What about leaks when you move? More or less than with the Swift LT?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Very little leaks compared to the Swift LT. And the AHI last night was 1.7. I slept the entire night through again. I didn't even wake up when the new dog started barking.

As for the pressure on the front of my nostril, it was odd to get used to at first again but when I woke up, I didn't notice it. I was really struggling with it when I first laid down because it just would not stay in place. Then I found that one of the side straps was undone. Once I put it back and adjusted it, I fell asleep a few seconds later.

This is an interesting mask. But the problem with it is there is very little room for sizing. You either fit one of the three or you don't. With the other nasal pillow style, there was always some wiggle room. Literally. You picked the one that fit without leaking but didn't widen your nostrils into mini-caverns. And then the design of the pillow plugged it shut. These, however, since they fit on the outside, is different so getting a good seal is going to be tough.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, at this point would you say try it realizing that it's all out of my pocket, or would you say to give it some more time first? Yes, between the Wisp and the Swift LT I am doing pretty good, but it's always the search for the perfect mask, right?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not tried the Wisp. That's one of those that cup over the nose, right? I've never ever had luck with those. I have a little "button" nose and even the Breeze cup leaked horribly.

The Swift LT I didn't like but it was quiet and fairly minimalistic. It was quiet, but I didn't like rearranging the head gear every night. Waking up multiple times a night to put the mask back into place.

The Nuance is not an expensive mask. Just over $100. So for me, yes, I would pay out of pocket to give it a try. It is different enough that I was intrigued to begin with. If my DME didn't carry it, I was going to get it online just to give it a try. Whether or not it is worth it to you, I don't know. If you like nasal pillows, you should like this one.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,172 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,679 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Terrible Velcro On Philips Nuance Gel Pillow Mask Driving Me Nuts hyphicti 0 619 10-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: hyphicti
  Resmed P10 vs Philips Nuance Gel buddy0329 1 933 06-24-2021, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  philips respironics Nuance mask mtoy1204 2 862 03-26-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: mtoy1204
  Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils? Hydrangea 7 1,399 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.