Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nuance mask?
RE: Nuance mask?
I have yet to figure out the purpose of the hose but I can say I am having better results with the nasal mask. Interested to hear how it goes tonight. Did you get the nuance or the nuance pro? The wisp has a slot to put the hose in so it goes over your head. I believe the nuance does as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nuance Pro. There's a plain Nuance?? Huh. I need to go look.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2013, 11:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Nuance Pro. There's a plain Nuance?? Huh. I need to go look.

Yes. The pro has gel part way up on the sides of the headgear and the nuance does not. Both have a slot for the hose
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh! Duh, it helps to RTFM*. There's a thingy bob on the top strap to hold the hose. Cool! Maybe I will read the rest of the paperwork that came with it. I just looked at the idiot pics on the inside of the lid.

*read the freakin' manual.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know what the added hose that comes with the nuance and wisp is for? I got mine from the sleep lab for my titration study tonight so I don't have all the paperwork that comes with it I don't think. Hope you are having a good night with the nuance.
Post Reply Post Reply
The good news is I slept the entire night through, waking up only once this early morning to adjust the mask then promptly went back to sleep. With the Swift, I was waking up multiple times a night to fix leaks. Or getting the elbow treatment to fix leaks.

It took some getting used to. Nasal pillows typically fit inside the nostril and there is very little pressure felt. Some do, some don't, but it always feels more spread out pressure, if that makes sense. The Nuance is designed to fit on the outside of the nostril, right at the entrance, and I didn't notice it as much when I was sizing it but I sure did when I laid down to sleep! It really felt like it was too tight and I kept messing with the straps. It was as if my nose was being smushed, like when kids make the pig face. But when I would feel my nose, there was no wrinkle nor was it bulging or whatever. I found though that I had to really pull the hose down from that loop in the headgear. Any pull at all and the mask was out of place. While that's typical of many nasal pillows, especially these lighter weight ones, this is especially true of this mask because of how it fits. Because it is on the outside, a slight tug and it is leaking.

It is a quiet mask. It has multiple vent holes and my previous experience is that they can be noisy but these were quiet. Which meant that leaks were easy to hear. I expected to have plenty when I first laid down but other than settling the hose, there weren't any.

And now the bad news. My AHI was 5.7. A few leaks according to SleepyHead but not that bad, all but one was under 30. But I'd had a really bad day so I'm hoping it was just the sheer exhaustion and an off night. I don't blame the mask except perhaps it leaked less than the Swift LT and it gave a more true AHI.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 05:42 AM)me50 Wrote: Do you know what the added hose that comes with the nuance and wisp is for? I got mine from the sleep lab for my titration study tonight so I don't have all the paperwork that comes with it I don't think. Hope you are having a good night with the nuance.

Mine came with just the one hose.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2013, 10:58 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(12-12-2013, 05:42 AM)me50 Wrote: Do you know what the added hose that comes with the nuance and wisp is for? I got mine from the sleep lab for my titration study tonight so I don't have all the paperwork that comes with it I don't think. Hope you are having a good night with the nuance.

Mine came with just the one hose.

I didn't explain my question very well. Mine came with the one hose but it attaches to the climate line tubing. I didn't know what the purpose of the hose is for or if it truly needs to be attached to the climate line tubing. Guess I will find out tonight in my sleep study. Glad last night with the nuance wasn't a bad experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just received the Nuance this week and I have mixed feelings about it. I have been using the Swift Fx for Her for over 3 years so I might have a bit of a 'prejudice' for it since I have not ever used any other one. When the Respiratory therapist who works for the supply place that provides my cpap supplies encouraged me to come in for a proper fitting, I thought that might be a good idea.

My mask must be the Nuance and not the Pro. My mask has the fabric straps and not the gel type straps on the side. I've yet to be comfortable with any of the 3 size pillows, but then again I did not know that the pillows are supposed to fit 'outside' the nostrils? Do I understand that correctly? My AHI was a lilttle higher but not that much.

One thing I find frustrating is the short hose and how much it seems to twist out of place, not that it comes disconnected - just moves more than the Swift FX. Maybe because I'm older and more set in my ways - I'm finding this mask to be a challenge. I want to be able to use a new mask as I'm tired of the old one plus it sometimes makes noise that is most annoying.

Any suggestions on the process of getting used to this mask would be most appreciated. I don't think the mask is bad - it is me that is having trouble getting used to it. Is there a video that demonstrates this mask and how it is supposed to operate?

p.s. Have I done something wrong on this forum? I notice just beneath my signature that I have 0% warning. I sure don't mean to cause anyone trouble or break any rules.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can google nuance nasal pillows and there is a video on YouTube that shows a little about it. If comfort is an issue, talk with your DME and ask for the Nuance Pro. The video shows both nasal pillows. I don't use this mask so I can't make suggestions on how to get used to it. PaulaO2 and some others will be able to help you with that better than I can. Sorry you are having a hard time with it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,170 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,678 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Terrible Velcro On Philips Nuance Gel Pillow Mask Driving Me Nuts hyphicti 0 619 10-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: hyphicti
  Resmed P10 vs Philips Nuance Gel buddy0329 1 933 06-24-2021, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  philips respironics Nuance mask mtoy1204 2 862 03-26-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: mtoy1204
  Nuance Pro - do you find it difficult to point it into your nostrils? Hydrangea 7 1,399 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.