Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Number Settings on my new Auto Set?
RE: Number Settings on my new Auto Set?

(06-01-2014, 05:37 AM)vsheline Wrote: The starting pressure for the ramp is adjustable. (See above.)

(06-01-2014, 08:06 AM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Vaughn,
When I have my AutoSet in CPAP mode I can adjust the start level of the ramp function. When I change it to APAP mode I can still use ramp, but I am no longer able to adjust the beginning ramp level. I can click on it to turn it orange, but turning the dial doesn't change the the pressure level. I see that you are using a VPAP. Did ResMed change this so that you can choose where to set the ramp start pressure?

Hi SleepyDC,

The S9 AutoSet, Elite and Escape combined Clinician Manual confirms that the ramp Start Pressure is adjustable in CPAP mode and in AutoSet mode.

The Clinician setup manual indicates on page 20 that for the AutoSet the Start Pressure setting sets the pressure at the start of Ramp, its default setting is 4, and it can be set nearly as high as the fixed treatment pressure (if in CPAP mode) or nearly as high as the minimum treatment pressure (if in AutoSet or APAP modes). "APAP" mode here applies to the S9 Escape Auto, rather than the S9 AutoSet.

I think the Start Pressure which is adjusted while in CPAP mode may apply only while in CPAP mode.

To adjust the ramp Start Pressure in AutoSet or APAP modes, I think one may need to first change to AutoSet or APAP mode, set the Min Pressure to something higher than 4, enable the Ramp (i.e., set the Max Ramp time to at least 5 minutes), and save these settings by exiting the Clinician setup mode.

Please note that if in the Clinician setup area your Min Pressure setting is 4, or if the Max Ramp time is not at least 5 minutes while in AutoSet mode, these settings would effectively keep the Ramp feature disabled.

Take care,
-- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Isn't this a strange little world? "how was it for you last night?" -- "Oh just wonderful.... and you?" Where have I heard that before?

LMAO i can tell where your mind is at the moment Smile

Quote: Please note that if in the Clinician setup area your Min Pressure setting is 4, or if the Max Ramp time is not at least 5 minutes while in AutoSet mode, these settings would effectively keep the Ramp feature disabled.

I am starting to get the idea that no one seems to like leaving that button at 4.
I believe you yourself said to put it up last night to avoid the feeling of suffocation

I wonder what number most people have it set for...............

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The back sleeping is probably your problem. If you cannot sleep on your side, can you at least prop up your side of the bed a fair amount? That should help a lot.

I shall try tonight but can't promise.
I NEVER slept on my back, EVER until about 5 years ago and this all began shortly after that.
I know I NEVER SNORED in my life but Kevin tells me sometimes I do..............I know my mother did.....like a trooper so perhaps in retrospect she had it, but passed away in 1999.

I used to sleep on one side and then move to the other side, back and forth but 6 years ago I developed bi=positional vertigo which essentially means due to being hit on the head at some point in my life, or having had an accident, etc, whatever, a microscopic piece of the ear is floating around my ear drum and when it does, I get terrible vertigo.

The way to stop from getting it I have discovered is to stop sleeping on my Right side.
Problem at this point is that I was anticipating a 6 month treatment of chemo for something other than cancer ( HEP C) and I have always been on the thin side, 115 pounds but any stress, etc, would make me lose weight.
The drugs I was going to be given were going to make me ill almost every day in that 6 month period do I decided to gain as much weight as I could in order to have a lot to fall back on if i got sick, which I knew I would.......

So i began to buy and drink ENSURE PLUS which BTW is addictive in chocolate and I gained weight even faster than I thought possible but I wasn't concerned for I knew i would lose it come the medication and secondly to be honest, that Ensure tasted just so damn good I could have gained another 500 pounds and not worried LOL

I was supposed to be starting the meds last month but 3 weeks ago I found out for sure its been cancelled due to a new drug thats come out that is a guaranteed 100% cure rate for me and I will only need it for 2 months and won't ever be ill I understand so as it turns out, I no longer need to have this weight gain and can lose the weight.
So two weeks ago I bought myself my last several cases of Ensure...hey, this is good stuff and i can never drink it again so I thought I would have one last few weeks of this delicious drink.........and then i can't drink it anymore so the weight can start dropping off.
However as it is, they can't put me on the new drug until, we hope, around November as the company Gilread is chargring about $85,000 per person for the meds which is absurd.
The WHO has now got into it and is trying to have them lower their bills on this, especially in 3rd world countries where HEP C is rampant.
Unfortunately I didn't know i had this until after the collective law suit was done with in Canada and chances are I might not have been able to prove 100% it came from a transfusion I had at age 20 but the good news is, I won't die of HEP c even without the meds for i don't like the taste of liquor or beer, otherwise, Hep C people that drink usually kill themselves from the booze and cirrhosis.
Anyhow..............so I have to wait until about November unless the WHO has some effect forcing the company Gilread to get real with their pricing........

So the weight gain I find is not letting me sleep comfortably on my side. I feel to heavy. Its not my body I am used to but as I can only sleep on ONE side anyhow, its unlikely that I will stay on it and will most likely roll back to my back.

Ive heard of people sewing plastic bottles into the back of their nightgowns......LOL........but if I have to do THAT, I think id rather someone just shoot me now Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 05:18 PM)vsheline Wrote: Hi SleepyDC,

The S9 AutoSet, Elite and Escape combined Clinician Manual confirms that the ramp Start Pressure is adjustable in CPAP mode and in AutoSet mode.

The Clinician setup manual indicates on page 20 that for the AutoSet the Start Pressure setting sets the pressure at the start of Ramp, its default setting is 4, and it can be set nearly as high as the fixed treatment pressure (if in CPAP mode) or nearly as high as the minimum treatment pressure (if in AutoSet or APAP modes). "APAP" mode here applies to the S9 Escape Auto, rather than the S9 AutoSet.

I think the Start Pressure which is adjusted while in CPAP mode may apply only while in CPAP mode.

To adjust the ramp Start Pressure in AutoSet or APAP modes, I think one may need to first change to AutoSet or APAP mode, set the Min Pressure to something higher than 4, enable the Max Ramp (i.e., set the Max Ramp time to at least 5 minutes), and save these settings by exiting the Clinician setup mode.

Please note that if in the Clinician setup area your Min Pressure setting is 4, or if the Max Ramp time is not at least 5 minutes while in AutoSet mode, these settings would effectively keep the Ramp feature disabled.

Take care,
-- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn. That makes much more sense. Since I haven't actually changed to APAP and moved the pressure up to what I am using I couldn't get the ramp to change while I was exploring the setting options. I think I'm going to have to plead sleep deprivation for not being able to figure that out myself.

Again, Thanks.
SleepyDC
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 08:56 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote:
Quote:The back sleeping is probably your problem. If you cannot sleep on your side, can you at least prop up your side of the bed a fair amount? That should help a lot.

I used to sleep on one side and then move to the other side, back and forth but 6 years ago I developed bi=positional vertigo..........

The way to stop from getting it I have discovered is to stop sleeping on my Right side.

So the weight gain I find is not letting me sleep comfortably on my side. I feel to heavy.

Ive heard of people sewing plastic bottles into the back of their nightgowns......LOL........but if I have to do THAT, I think id rather someone just shoot me now Smile

I developed benign positional vertigo following a dental procedure. I guess the guys drill knocked the rocks loose in my head. Anyhow, I did not find the vertigo all that pleasant. Anytime I got prone, I could count on having lots of fun getting un-prone. That lasted about a year. Much better now, or I've figured out how to control it better.

I could only sleep on my left side. Because of the apnea, back sleeping was not anything I could even think about doing. Right side sleeping triggered the vertigo.

Since getting the apnea under control, I now flop around like an old fish. Left side, back, left side, back........ But even though I can now do it, I'm reluctant to do the right side.

So, the message is......... "It came to pass ---" and it will pass. Once you get the therapy figured out, which you will, then all these others shall be added to you. Or if not, you really won't care all the much because you'll be sleeping very nicely anyhow.

But before that happens we have to get your events under control. 60's too much. Work on sleeping on your side. Get your mattress propped up. Have your SO hang you in the closet on a hanger overnight. Whatever it takes to get the therapy working. Then, once under control, you can slowly add side sleeping, back sleeping, upside down sleeping, whatever you want. The world will be your oyster. But stay off your back for awhile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2014, 06:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 05:39 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I don't think I have had any leak rates since I moved to the nasal mask as i no longer open my mouth when wearing it.
Yes, might be the case but was no leak data to validate it (now, there is), the old machine does not report any leak data or AHI

As for why the AutoSet, beside being full data capable machine, the Autoset can also be used either as straight CPAP or auto-PAP (two machines in one)

Zonk, this is what makes me so angry about the 'Escape' that I am now using after using the Elite for three months.
What is the point of a machine that records no data? They told me to come back in one year. How will I know if my leaks and AHI'S are through the roof night after night?
These machines are a waste of money, the mere fact that we don't know if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
I haven't got a clue what's going on.
Don't get me wrong I am grateful the Government supplied me with this machine but I really think they need updating.
I am saving my pennies to buy my own data capable machine. I am more concerned about the data than the auto part.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 05:08 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 06:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 05:39 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I don't think I have had any leak rates since I moved to the nasal mask as i no longer open my mouth when wearing it.
Yes, might be the case but was no leak data to validate it (now, there is), the old machine does not report any leak data or AHI

As for why the AutoSet, beside being full data capable machine, the Autoset can also be used either as straight CPAP or auto-PAP (two machines in one)

Zonk, this is what makes me so angry about the 'Escape' that I am now using after using the Elite for three months.
What is the point of a machine that records no data? They told me to come back in one year. How will I know if my leaks and AHI'S are through the roof night after night?
These machines are a waste of money, the mere fact that we don't know if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
I haven't got a clue what's going on.
Don't get me wrong I am grateful the Government supplied me with this machine but I really think they need updating.
I am saving my pennies to buy my own data capable machine. I am more concerned about the data than the auto part.

Thats what I just did.
There are some great places if you are American to buy good deals on the AutoSet from but as a Canadian I was not able to find any.
I just went online to Kijiji which you may have in Australia too and found a brand new one, with a new Wisp Nasal Mask (with 3 actual masks inside of it so your face will fit at least one of the 3, a heated hose and a Resmed Carry all bag.
I paid $650
He was asking $650 or BO but I sell online and i know that when there are more buyers than product, you don't risk losing to others truing to offer a lower amount.
I might have got away with offering $600 but i didn't want to risk it as I know that all I got on this one was a great deal.
Then you can turn around and hopefully sell the one you don't like for a couple of hundred.
I have mine up for sale at $300.
Hopefully someone will need it, if not even for just a second mask at their cottage where they are not as concerned about their rates.

Just keep watching Craigslist as I know you have that one for sure in your country. And you will find a good deal....I understand how tight money can be but do what you can to get some cash together for one

I did fall asleep on my side ONCE i had taken off the mask and machine but woke up on my back as I figured i would Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a mistake last night and turned off both buttons

EPR: OFF
EPR Level: OFF

Had a horrible sleep again. Took the mask off at about 2:30 and slept without the machine. Feel crappy this morning but I would whenever my sleep as disturbed and it was and I see for some reason I didnt record any thing from the time I had it on last night so back to the drawing board tonight /sighs

i just find the pressure too overwhelming
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting.
I loaded up Sleepyhead in the mac and ResScan in windows but the sleepyhead did not record anything for last night but the ResScan did record the whole 1:57 that I used it before taking it off and going to sleep without it.

I will post a screenshot in a while, later for it

What I don't understand is that if I have obstructive SA, why am I seeing so many CENTRAL Apneas?

[Image: wm1n2u.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Bad night sleep = too many changes at once IMO. My advice:

1) Go back to your S-9 Escape and find out what the settings were on that machine. I would change your new S-9 Autoset to CPAP mode at exactly the same settings you were on on your S-9 Escape.

The goal here is to get you back to getting decent sleep.

2) After getting back to what you would consider "normal" sleep, come back here and report your numbers for the last week or so. There is so much nightly variability, a bit longer period of time gets much better data than trying to make some many changes on a night to night basis.

3) Once we get some good data to work with, try to limit the amount of changes you make at one time. It's hard to tell what is helping at hurting with multiple things changed at once.

4) Change one thing. Revaluate (from 1 night to a week). Repeat.

5) Over time you can get honed in on what are your optimum settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 453 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 333 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 200 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,131 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.