Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Number Settings on my new Auto Set?
RE: Number Settings on my new Auto Set?
I agree with Jaycee. Changing too many things at once isn't good for your sleep.

Sleepyhead has a setting that ignores short sessions and you can set the time of the sessions. That may be why you didn't see anything in there.

It's common to have a bunch of central's when you change pressures and/or change algorithms. They usually settle down after a few days. If they stay high longer than a few days it may be time to take a closer look at what's causing them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 09:25 AM)Bama Rambler Wrote: I agree with Jaycee. Changing too many things at once isn't good for your sleep.

Sleepyhead has a setting that ignores short sessions and you can set the time of the sessions. That may be why you didn't see anything in there.

It's common to have a bunch of central's when you change pressures and/or change algorithms. They usually settle down after a few days. If they stay high longer than a few days it may be time to take a closer look at what's causing them.

Changing to CPAP Mode at exact same settings as were used on Escape makes perfect sense. (This was Zonk's recommendation, too.)

If EPR was not used on the Escape then I think it would be important to turn off EPR on AutoSet AFTER changing to CPAP mode.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are both right. I already thought i might just use the ESCAPE tonight to get an undisturbed sleep.
I was wondering if the range of 15 was too high so back to see what the settings on ESCAPE are and take it from there

And i see now that that is what Zonk was saying, the first night..

One question though....without looking at my machine, there was one button that I had a choice of setting to AutoSet or CPAP I think it was but i can't remember what it was.

Perhaps what I should do is go look at my Escape and post whatever settings I see there and then someone might be able to answer the ones I have on the new machine that aren't on the old one, what they should be set to.
Yes this other way there is too much happening so I am not sure whats what.

BTW, WHAT are central apneas?
Something in your brain I believe?
I was told I had obstructive Sleep Apnea and don't think I like the sounds of any apneas in the brain so want to work on that one first and foremost I would suspect Smile

Quote:hanging to CPAP Mode at exact same settings as were used on Escape makes perfect sense. (This was Zonk's recommendation, too.)

If EPR was not used on the Escape then I think it would be important to turn off EPR on AutoSet AFTER changing to CPAP mode.

I can't remember right now, offhand but I suspect once I post the ESCAPE settings i shall remember
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 07:16 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I made a mistake last night and turned off both buttons

EPR: OFF
EPR Level: OFF

Had a horrible sleep again. Took the mask off at about 2:30 and slept without the machine. Feel crappy this morning but I would whenever my sleep as disturbed and it was and I see for some reason I didnt record any thing from the time I had it on last night so back to the drawing board tonight /sighs

i just find the pressure too overwhelming

(06-02-2014, 10:04 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I think you are both right. I already thought i might just use the ESCAPE tonight to get an undisturbed sleep.
I was wondering if the range of 15 was too high so back to see what the settings on ESCAPE are and take it from there

And i see now that that is what Zonk was saying, the first night..

I agree you should not make many changes at once. I did suggest you do two things last night. One, turn off your epr, and two prop up you mattress/pillow or whatever. I don't think that qualifies as "too many changes at once." You turned the EPR off, and reduced your ahi from the 60's to the mid 30's. Still too high, but better. Good job. I know because of the overall crappy sleep you may not feel like it was a good job, but it was.

If you wish to return to your other machine to see how it goes, that sounds like a fine idea to me too. But mostly to me it sounds like you're fighting two possibilities: 1. Your new machine has the pressure settings way different than your old machine, or 2. Your environment needs adjusted.

I suggested yesterday that you really need to get off your back for now. You need to either sleep on your side, or at least sitting up. I think you probably did try to work on that last night, so my feeling is you should continue to do that.

The vertigo makes things a little more challenging for you, but you can do this. Get off your back, leave the epr off, go back to your escape for a break or at least verify the pressures.

Do you own a "comfy chair?" One you can sleep in? Do that if you need to until you get this worked out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Retired Guy:

This hasn't anything to do with your advice, which was very good but more to do with my just being hit with so much at once.
It also appears that my numbers on the ESCAPE were set very differently than from what I was told.

Looking at my prescription which I have posted on the forum somewhere
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...wbie-Alert
and it says..............
Cpap 13cm/h2o

But looking now at my ESCAPE, the number is set at 10 ???!!!

How on earth did it end up only at 10?
I was told I had severe sleep apnea yet its at 10
The hubby who was told he was borderline and didn't even really need a machine OR therapy is set at 8

I shall assume this is partly why I have had such a hard time on the AutoSet as it was set at 11-15?

There isn't any need to concern myself at this point with the central apneas as I understand some medication I am presently on is the reason for the central apneas. I will be speaking to a doctor about this in a few days!

SETTINGS ON S9 ESCAPE:

Climate Ctrl: Auto
EPR Inhale: Med
Access: Full
Mode: CPAP
Set Pressure: 10.0
Max Ramp: 45 (I was able to turn that off on the menu each night or adjust it to 5 or 10 if I wanted it)
Start Pressure: 5.0
EPR Only: 1

So I am guessing I have to set it back, from 11-15 to simply 10...

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Shelagh, thanks for your advice on my buying a new machine, it was very much appreciated.
I am sorry you are not settled down yet with your new super doper machine, still very early days.
You have excellent advice from the guys here so I am sure you will be having a good nights sleep before too long.
If I was you and starting with an Auto machine I would probably go with numbers as close as possible to my original number on either side, just until I became adjusted and then gradually adjust the numbers out further as I went along.
Little steps at first.
Good luck!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 06:31 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Retired Guy:

This hasn't anything to do with your advice, which was very good but more to do with my just being hit with so much at once.
It also appears that my numbers on the ESCAPE were set very differently than from what I was told.

Looking at my prescription which I have posted on the forum somewhere
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...wbie-Alert
and it says..............
Cpap 13cm/h2o

But looking now at my ESCAPE, the number is set at 10 ???!!!

How on earth did it end up only at 10?
I was told I had severe sleep apnea yet its at 10
The hubby who was told he was borderline and didn't even really need a machine OR therapy is set at 8

I shall assume this is partly why I have had such a hard time on the AutoSet as it was set at 11-15?

There isn't any need to concern myself at this point with the central apneas as I understand some medication I am presently on is the reason for the central apneas. I will be speaking to a doctor about this in a few days!

SETTINGS ON S9 ESCAPE:

Climate Ctrl: Auto
EPR Inhale: Med
Access: Full
Mode: CPAP
Set Pressure: 10.0
Max Ramp: 45 (I was able to turn that off on the menu each night or adjust it to 5 or 10 if I wanted it)
Start Pressure: 5.0
EPR Only: 1

So I am guessing I have to set it back, from 11-15 to simply 10...

Oh I hope I didn't imply I was criticizing you or was unhappy in any way whatsoever, I was not. My only point is often we take any easy way out like saying "you changed too many things," when in reality you only changed one thing, and that thing resulted in a 50% improvement. I'm very pleased that you are working so hard to figure this out.

Ok. So now you've got the epr off. That's good for now.

You also discovered that the reason for your discomfort is instead of a pressure of 10, you've been running on a pressure of up to 15. In reality, the first graph you showed had a median of 14.25. I suspect your machine was on its way to that level last night when you took off the mask. A pressure change from 10 to 15 would certainly account for the pressure difficulties.

Now, the question is should you drop immediately to 10? I don't know the answer to that. Usually we would want to see very modest changes, so for instance the first night you would drop to your prescribed 13 and see how it goes for a couple of days. Then a little more if it seems that is appropriate.

I do still believe you're having a lot of trouble because of sleeping on your back, so continue to work on that. If you can eliminate the back sleeping it is very likely that a pressure of 10 will resolve your events. But given the back sleeping, that is probably why your prescription was written for 13.

Good job figuring out the pressure problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby

Thanks for the advice and yes, I think that is what i am going to basically be doing. Starting at the beginning before i get too confused and don't know where i am.
I must ask you though, I see your CPAP pressure is only 6?
I am having a problem getting the hubby to do his for his doctor told him he was borderline at 8 and anyone at that number really doesn't need a machine but just needs to lose weight.
I don't know if that is true or not so am curious if yours are at 6 if your doctor ever said anything remotely similar to you?

retired_guy

LOL. Thanks for the kind words but no I didn't think that, nor would I have.
No need to worry about me in that sense, although very sensitive to the plight of others, I am not sensitive in the way you meant. I take very little to heart. In other words, no need to worry if i have taken offence to anything said.......I haven't.

What I don't get though, is the bit about sleeping on anything but my back. Ok, yes, I get I will have more sleep apnea events but they are never going away, right? So should i necessarily be uncomfortable on top of it?
Is this a really big issue that i am missing something about?
Do others try everything to stay off of their backs?

I used to sleep always with 2 pillows but admitted when I first suffered a bit of claustrophobia when I switched to the nasal mask, I found it went away when I was lying straight down and only on one pillow but better that than going back to the FF mask which had me sleeping with my mouth open, which I always did until this nasal mask. No?
Its just SOOOOO comfy on my back...............and so uncomfy on my side.....is it really going to make THAT much difference to force myself into that position? Since I am new to this just how much better would i be on my side? I can't and never have been able to figure out how anyone can sleep on their fronts........
Post Reply Post Reply
Under SETTINGS, am I to put the MODE to CPAP instead of auto?

maybe i should put it from 8-12? Now we know my other one was at 10 and not 13 as i thought?

Cant remember what EPR is for I had mine originally set at RAMP ONLY so can't remember what it was and why it would be set for Ramp only...
EPR Level 1

Im just asking too many questions. Ignore me.
Anyhow off to bed soon to see how it works and i did set it between 9 = 13 so if that causes me problems tonight i will go r ight back to 10 tomorrow and start over from the beginning Sad

Thanks to all of you Hope I and all of you sleep well tonight.......
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 08:06 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: What I don't get though, is the bit about sleeping on anything but my back. Ok, yes, I get I will have more sleep apnea events but they are never going away, right? So should i necessarily be uncomfortable on top of it?
Is this a really big issue that i am missing something about?
Do others try everything to stay off of their backs?

Some do, yes. The thing is it's much more difficult to maintain an open airway when you're laying flat. So on your side, or propped up, will help while you get started with the therapy. It's important to get your ahi to a low level and for you to get some good, restorative sleep. So if avoiding your back for awhile will help to get to that point, then I feel that's something you should do.

Like you, I love sleeping on my back. During my sleep study my ahi's were in the 60's when I did that, but a mere 5 or 6 on my side. Once I got everything else under control and my machine/mask combo's right for me, I returned to my back. Now I flop back and forth and love every minute of it.

(06-02-2014, 08:06 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Its just SOOOOO comfy on my back...............and so uncomfy on my side.....

Yeah, I know.

(06-02-2014, 08:06 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: is it really going to make THAT much difference to force myself into that position?

Yeah, it probably will...........

But once you're the new and improved you, I'll bet you'll be able to sleep on a duck if that's what you want to do............

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 342 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 201 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,134 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.