Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Number of uses of a mask liner
Number of uses of a mask liner
I just received 3 new mask liners and replaced the old one (for the Quattro FX). The supplier recommends replacing once per month, but I believe that recommendation is only because most insurers will pay for 1 new liner a month. I personally believe a liner is essentially really designed for a single nights use. I say this because a new silicone liner out of the bag has a certain stickyness to it. Notice it next time you replace yours. The 1st night I use it I can actually have the mask fit well with very slight tightening of the headgear straps. This goes out the door after the 1st night. Of course the mask is cleaned with baby shampoo & warm water, but it looses the OEM stickyness to the silicon. The liner comes out of the bag absolutely clear, however another thing I noticed is that it looses it clarity and becomes translucent.
I get air leaks after the 1st night of use. I also have to tighten the headgear which leaves mask marks and rashes. After the 1st night of use the stickyness which really is the key to it fitting right is gone. The liner is soft, but smooth (not sticky). There must be a layer of oils on the liner that the baby shampoo can't get off. I am interested in trying denatured alcohol on a liner, problem is I don't have any right now. I am also interested in talking directly to the manufacturer to see what their actual recommendations for length of use actually is.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Number of uses of a mask liner
(11-22-2012, 01:24 AM)bryank1 Wrote: I also have to tighten the headgear which leaves mask marks and rashes.
over tightening is counter productive ... cause more leaks
check Quattro FX fitting instructions ... Resmed call it swing and seal method
for rashes .. try a mask liner (placed between mask cushion and your face) some find mask liner helps with mask seal
you can make own mask liners and there is ready made ones ... Remzzz and pad a cheek

alcohol is not recommended ... just soap and water

usually can use the cushion anything between 3 and 6 months
wash the cushion every day with soap and water and helps to wash face too to remove facial oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Bryank1,
I found that changing the cushion on my quattro every month gave me a better seal. One thing I wouldnd is buy on the available schedule these critical hardware of therapy that lead to success. I admine your idea of frugality, we have an over burderned health care program. But it will save money in the long run if you take optimal care of your equipment and so your own health. Thanks for posting.
Thanks,
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with everything Zonk says. I've been using a Quattro FX for about a year now and I'm still on only my 2nd silicone face cushion and getting zero to very little leaks each night. I wash my face each night just before masking up and I wash my mask cushion every morning in the sink in warm water with a squirt of liquid Ivory soap, then rinse it very well and that helps to retain the tackiness. The cushion will get a bit translucent over time but that doesn't really reduce the effectiveness of it at all. If you want it to be clear, there's threads out there that will describe a process where you can boil the cushion with a teaspoon of baking soda. I've done that a couple of times but don't feel it's really necessary, it just makes the cushion clear again for a night or two. The Quattro FX does use a fairly unique "swing and seal" technique and there's videos on Resmed's website or on YouTube if you haven't already seen how it works. The Quattro FX should not be over-tightened, it should "float" on your face after the CPAP machine is turned on. I have tried some mask liners before. When I first started therapy, I thought they made the mask more comfortable to wear. But I'm used to the feeling of the silicone on my face now and in my experience, I get significantly less leaks without a mask liner than with one.

It's also possible that the Quattro FX just isn't the right mask for you as no mask fits different people's faces the same. I tried 4 other masks before settling on the Quattro FX as the best one for me.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 03:04 AM)zonk Wrote:
(11-22-2012, 01:24 AM)bryank1 Wrote: I also have to tighten the headgear which leaves mask marks and rashes.
over tightening is counter productive ... cause more leaks
check Quattro FX fitting instructions ... Resmed call it swing and seal method
for rashes .. try a mask liner (placed between mask cushion and your face) some find mask liner helps with mask seal
you can make own mask liners and there is ready made ones ... Remzzz and pad a cheek

alcohol is not recommended ... just soap and water

usually can use the cushion anything between 3 and 6 months
wash the cushion every day with soap and water and helps to wash face too to remove facial oil

I probably didn't explain well. The mask leaks, so I have to retighten it to stop the leaks. Its either that or remove it no other option.
I'm not sure how you guys are getting it to bring back the tackiness or stickiness as it comes out of the package. I was looking back at the instructions that came with it. Inside the 1st page it says replace when the cushion is no longer clear and transparent which is the case here. I can't get it revitalize the silicone to get it back to a clear state. The silicone after the 1st or 2nd use gets smooth(all stickiness is gone).
Tried Ivory as well. I don't usually wash my face before bed, but will try that as well as shaving tonight.

I'm interested in this mask liner. I thought the silicone cushion was the mask liner. Is there another component that can be used?

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 02:09 PM)bryank1 Wrote: I probably didn't explain well. The mask leaks, so I have to retighten it to stop the leaks.
try to use and set the mask fit feature at your 95% percentile pressure (default setting if not mistaken 10) more likely lessen the chance of leak and not to re-tighten the mask during the night.

as B36 suggested you might need to try different mask ... it took me half dozen of different masks to find the right mask that is comfortable to wear and form a good seal .... leaks (mask and mouth leaks) can compromise the therapy

my leaks vary from night to the next .. some leaks are acceptable as long as not too frequents or compromise sleep quality

for me just like any new T-shirt ...would wash the cushion before wearing for the first time ... everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 03:05 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-22-2012, 02:09 PM)bryank1 Wrote: I probably didn't explain well. The mask leaks, so I have to retighten it to stop the leaks.
try to use and set the mask fit feature at your 95% percentile pressure (default setting if not mistaken 10) more likely lessen the chance of leak and not to re-tighten the mask during the night.

as B36 suggested you might need to try different mask ... it took me half dozen of different masks to find the right mask that is comfortable to wear and form a good seal .... leaks (mask and mouth leaks) can compromise the therapy

my leaks vary from night to the next .. some leaks are acceptable as long as not too frequents or compromise sleep quality

for me just like any new T-shirt ...would wash the cushion before wearing for the first time ... everyone is different

Ok, but I wasn't aware I can set the mask fit function at a specific pressure. I thought it is only the default (non adjustable settable).
On mine you select the mask fit function and it delivers a preset pressure. Is the pressure for that function adjustable?

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 04:35 PM)bryank1 Wrote: Ok, but I wasn't aware I can set the mask fit function at a specific pressure.
to change the pressure setting of of mask fit ... go to the clinical menu and change the mode from AutoSet to CPAP
set the the pressure at 12 (if you want mask fit at 12) ... change back to AutoSet mode ... exit

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 02:09 PM)bryank1 Wrote: I'm interested in this mask liner. I thought the silicone cushion was the mask liner. Is there another component that can be used?

I liked the Padacheek liners. They're custom designed for different brands and models of masks. They are made out of a durable and comfortable microfiber material and can be washed. Others have reported getting less leaks with the liners so you might give them a shot. For me personally though, I've gone back to using my Quattro FX without a mask liner as I get lower leak scores without the liners and I've grown accustomed to the feel of the silicone against my skin.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2012, 01:24 AM)bryank1 Wrote: I just received 3 new mask liners and replaced the old one (for the Quattro FX).

Do you have a brand and model for your mask liner?

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 430 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Number of Events? Heaviside 8 326 02-12-2024, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 REF Number The Mask Bandit 2 190 02-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] New to APAP. High number of "Clear Airway events". Not sure what to do. lujojo 17 1,107 01-30-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: lujojo
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 316 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Same number of events with or without the mouth guard I got to treat sleep apnea? hejohoo 0 373 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,108 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.