Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Numbers Good, Still Feeling Bad, What Would SleepyHead Tell Me?
Numbers Good, Still Feeling Bad, What Would SleepyHead Tell Me?
I've been on CPAP for about a year now on the RESMED AirSense 10, nasal pillows RESMED AirFit P10 mask. Pre CPAP I had about 20 events an hour but worse than that the doctor said was how very low my oxygen levels were every night.

After CPAP, my numbers have always looked good according to the doctors. I average 8 hours of sleep a night, very low to no leaks, less than 1-2 AHI per hour, and rarely take the mask off but I still feel terrible.

Many of my symptoms have come down or entirely gone away: the pressure feeling in my head; morning headaches, and acid reflux.

But I am still really tired, have massive brain fog, can't read past 1-2pm in the day and am almost entirely unfunctional at night. I used to go out some times at night. I basically don't any more.

The doctor has said that my best pressure is at 10. We tried going over 10 this week and that kept waking me up and now I feel worse.

The next step is she wants to put me on Nuvigil or Provigil. I'm not against this but I'd like to make 100% sure I've done all I can on the machine end. My doctor thinks we have. She thinks the machine is working as well as it's ever going to work and that the fatigue and brain fog issue is my hormones.

My question: what would SleepyHead tell me that the doctor's haven't?

Thanks,

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Numbers Good, Still Feeling Bad, What Would SleepyHead Tell Me?
You will never know until you look. I am in a similar situation, and my sleep doctor is sending me for another sleep study. There are a few other possibilities besides just OSA (limb movements, events that cause a partial awakening but don't score on AHI). Or it could be medications, or hormones or... I imagine the list is rather long.

Those medications sound pretty nasty. I'd be pushing my doctor to do tests and get a proper diagnosis. If it is your hormones, then treat that. Those medications look like a dodge, not a diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi crezman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAp therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Get an overnight oxymetry study. I had great AHI numbers as soon as I started and fully compliant, but was feeling worse, not better. An overnight oxymetry study showed that even with the machine my oxygen levels were going way down so supplemental oxygen was added in and that turned things around.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2016, 10:55 PM)crezman Wrote: My question: what would SleepyHead tell me that the doctor's haven't?

Thanks,

Chris
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]
If does say "CPAP", if I'm not mistaken, SleepyHead is not going tell you anything
ResScan (windows only) will tell you some information but no detailed data graphs

As for pressure 10 and low AHI, in scheme of things, events like snoring and flow limitation do not form part of AHI but nevertheless, can be troublesome, affect our sleep quality and prevent us from getting into deeper restorative sleep
In my opinion ...
APAP, like AirSense 10 AutoSet with the right pressure range can deal with all apnea, snoring and flow limitation and achieve a better outcome

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2016, 10:55 PM)crezman Wrote: My question: what would SleepyHead tell me that the doctor's haven't?

Doctors usually check only summaries. SleepyHead will give you the details used to prepare those summaries. For example, even though every statistic indicated my therapy was effective, and I had my data checked annually by a doctor who specializes in CPAP therapy, I could tell by looking at my leak graph that something was wrong. Eventually I hit upon a full face mask as the solution that finally got me sleeping much much better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 08:42 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Get an overnight oxymetry study.

Thanks, I think she did this because she knew my oxygen levels but I'll ask about the oxygen again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi crezman and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are using a fixed pressure as opposed to auto mode. So have you looked at your machine as zonk suggested to see what kind it is? Sleepyhead shows a lot more details if you are using either the Elite, or one of the auto machines.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.