Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Numbers getting worse, any advice would be appreciated
RE: Numbers getting worse, any advice would be appreciated
Using the collar for the leaks makes sense.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a ffm, that may help too, It takes out mouth breathing, one of the variables.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone answered the question about the 20 lb weight loss?

Is it possible that he no longer needs the settings that he used to have, and is now getting centrals because the settings are too high?

(sorry if this has already been addressed; I'm not seeing it, which isn't too surprising at the moment)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 10:48 AM)kiwii Wrote: Has anyone answered the question about the 20 lb weight loss?

Is it possible that he no longer needs the settings that he used to have, and is now getting centrals because the settings are too high?

(sorry if this has already been addressed; I'm not seeing it, which isn't too surprising at the moment)

I lost 40+ pounds and no, it didn't stop my centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
kiwii, Usually when I come to the point of needing to drop my pressure it's because I'm getting no obstructive events except a couple of CA's will start showing up.

Nothing like what we see here.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2018, 10:22 PM)KCFLY Wrote: I am only seeing breathing issues as an allergic reaction to hydroxychloroquine, not as a side effect.  If you found/saw something else, I would love to see it as I am not finding anything like that.

Try the website for canoe and Plaquenil side effects. I picked that site because it’s easy to read, but there are other sites with the same points. If you look at the side effects, you’ll see that several refer to allergic reactions like hives, but several others refer to alterations in brain and behavior. Extrapolate a little about where each of those symptoms comes from if this is difficult to pinpoint.

I take central apnea to be in the category of brain and behavior. (Allergy is presumably also a messed up chemical reaction in the brain.)

Once I figured out you were talking about Plaquenil, I can tell you from a family event that it causes changes to the brain that change behavior. They were reversible.

However, this is not for me to decide. I just wanted you not to rule out the medication as a cause for the apneas.

It still may be the perfect medication for your situation! But that’s for your doctor to help you with.

I’m bailing from this topic now ‘cos I’m not a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 09:58 AM)KCFLY Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 09:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:   I think you should make your doctor aware that a change has occurred in the type and frequency of apnea, and put him on notice you may need some follow-up if it continues.

Sleeprider,

How long would you allow these patterns to continue before you felt it needed some followup?

Thanks!

The change is significant, and it may take some time to get an appointment anyway.  I would call and let him decide the urgency of the situation.  Like any other health issue, a significant change is reason enough to touch base. You may or may not control this with the reduction in pressure and changes to EPR, but it's important to realize you have gone from treating obstructive sleep apnea to a central apnea problem.  That doesn't happen very often. Whether the CA issue is important or not by itself, you need to look at possible underlying causes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 09:56 AM)KCFLY Wrote: Thanks to everyone, again.

I will lower pressure again tonight and post some more charts tomorrow.

I don't' have a collar, but will see what I can come up with today.
I bought a DMI Soft Foam Cervical Collar Neck Support, 3-Inch Width from Amazon and have used it for two nights with positive results.  if you have Prime, you can get it in 2-days and use it tomorrow night.  I've had no comfort difficulties.  There are others to choose from as well. 
Here is an article that deals with the subject.
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/reduced-apneahypopnea-index-in-patients-with-severe-sleep-apnea-syndromeas-determined-by-cervical-collar-and-mandibular-advancemen-2167-0277-1000252.php?aid=80801&view=mobile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 11:10 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: kiwii,  Usually when I come to the point of needing to drop my pressure it's because I'm getting no obstructive events except a couple of CA's will start showing up.

Nothing like what we see here.

What I am thinking is that KCFLY has had CA's suddenly show up, after a long time of excellent treatment, and one of the new factors in the very same time period happens to be that he's lost 20 lbs.

Isn't it possible that he has gone below some tipping point, unique to his own physiology, that may be coming into play?

Because, coming at it from the other direction, new users are told that OA's respond to higher pressure, but too high and you get CA's.

I hope that is somewhat coherent. It's the best I can do.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you're saying makes logical sense to me, Kiwii.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 425 Today, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 107 Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 200 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 212 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 177 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 10 389 04-07-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,553 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.