Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Numbers just now under 5.0 Terrible Fatigue onset. Normal?
Numbers just now under 5.0 Terrible Fatigue onset. Normal?
Greetings Y'all,

So after my mini- victory of 7 hours straight sleep, and the last three days being under 5.0, first of those three in a row, I note that both today, 5 hours after waking, and two days ago, I felt suddenly terribly tired, the "can't resist, must take a nap now" kinda tired.

Is this typical? I'm 41 days or so into my therapy, with numbers usually between 6.0-8.0 dotted with under 5.0's. My trend it toward the lower range as I go on.

How long can I expect the fatigue to hit me?

Am I alone in taking a while to get under 5.0 consistently with 100 percent compliance and an avg of 8.5 hours a day with c-pap on? Of late even newbies seem to be getting 0.? numbers.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Numbers just now under 5.0 Terrible Fatigue onset. Normal?
Resmed's web site says (going from memory here) that 87% of people who are successfully using CPCP for three months will have a major improvement in daytime wakefulness.

That leaves 13% who will presumably be less successful.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, please put which A10 model you have. I'm assuming it's an AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet for her. Can you put that in your profile?

I presume there's nothing interesting in your SleepyHead results. Are you having any other problems sleeping with CPAP?

First, don't forget that you can still suffer from all the medical problems "normal" people suffer from.

I think sometimes once you make really good progress eliminating your apnea, your body is sort of "unbalanced" because it's adapted to fighting apnea all night long. I think of it as being like stopping smoking, drinking, or taking drugs.

Hang in there for a while at least. Maybe try to get a little extra sleep for a few days.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 08:44 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Greetings Y'all,

So after my mini- victory of 7 hours straight sleep, and the last three days being under 5.0, first of those three in a row, I note that both today, 5 hours after waking, and two days ago, I felt suddenly terribly tired, the "can't resist, must take a nap now" kinda tired.

Is this typical? I'm 41 days or so into my therapy, with numbers usually between 6.0-8.0 dotted with under 5.0's. My trend it toward the lower range as I go on.

How long can I expect the fatigue to hit me?

Am I alone in taking a while to get under 5.0 consistently with 100 percent compliance and an avg of 8.5 hours a day with c-pap on? Of late even newbies seem to be getting 0.? numbers.

Susan
Hi: I am one of those "newbies" who got an AHI of < 1.0 on most nights starting in my 3rd week of xPAP, and that too on a wide open pressure range of 4-20. I have a PRS1 60 series auto. After about 6 week of therapy, I started noticing that I felt better on a day of AHI of 1.5 than on the day of AHI < 0.5. Then, I read about RERAs (some article by Dr. Barry Krakow) and how they can be very disruptive to that rested feeling in the morning. So I started tracking RDI in SH instead of AHI and I saw that a lower RDI was a "better feeling in the morning", than lower AHI.

To reduce RDI, I raised my minimum pressure slowly (1cm at a time for 10 days) and RERAs reduced with it, and the RDI came down more. I went from 4-20 range to 7.5-15 range now. My top pressure has never went above 14cm though so the top range narrowing is irrelevant.

Then I moved to a P10 nasal pillow mask from a F10 FFM mask, and suddenly the RERAs and FLs have virtually disappeared.

If you have the A10 for her model, you can start tracking RDI. And use the journal in Sleepyhead to note down how you feel. And soon, you will have data points to optimize your therapy more.

Hope this helps.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah its normal or at least it was for me. I went under five AHI the second night at home. Felt great for while the suddenly couldnt get enough sleep for about two weeks. As in sleeping 11 12 hours at a stretch some times with a hour nap in the afternoon.

Your body once your numbers get down where your not still struggling to breathe with high AHI and you start getting normal sleep breathing seems to need a period of catch up on sleep and repairs physical and mental that it hasnt be able to do before.
For me that was a period of as I said about two weeks then back to 7 to 9 hrs a night usually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks All. Ghost that is particularly encouraging. Thank you,

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
Arch- Done, thanks for the input.
Ash- Good tweeking tips, I will work on those. Sadly machine not for her, just a regular one. They didn't have that one. I wish I'd held out for one though.
Ed- Good news and bad news there...for the 13 percent.
Ghost, Very encouraging to hear of your experience.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

To reduce RDI, I raised my minimum pressure slowly (1cm at a time for 10 days) and RERAs reduced with it, and the RDI came down more. I went from 4-20 range to 7.5-15 range now.
[/quote]

AshSF, Do you mean that you raised it 1 cm a day for 10 days or 1cm and held that for 10 days, then another cm for the next 10 and so on?

Thanks,
Susan

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 09:48 PM)archangle Wrote: I think of it as being like stopping smoking, drinking, or taking drugs.

You mean we have to give all that up too?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

To reduce RDI, I raised my minimum pressure slowly (1cm at a time for 10 days) and RERAs reduced with it, and the RDI came down more. I went from 4-20 range to 7.5-15 range now.
[/quote]

AshSF, Do you mean that you raised it 1 cm a day for 10 days or 1cm and held that for 10 days, then another cm for the next 10 and so on?

Thanks,
Susan
[/quote]
Raised minimum pressure by 1cm. Held it there 10+ days. Evaluate the results on SH. Then repeat if needed. Here are my results in SH statistics.

Changes to Prescription Settings
Days RDI FL Machine Pressure Relief Mode Pressure Settings
17 0.31 0.44 RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P) A-Flex x3 APAP (Variable) Min 7.5 Max 15 (cmH2O)
45 0.86 0.94 RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P) A-Flex x3 APAP (Variable) Min 7 Max 18 (cmH2O)
16 1.59 1.97 RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P) A-Flex x3 APAP (Variable) Min 6 Max 20 (cmH2O)
11 1.53 1.93 RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P) A-Flex x3 APAP (Variable) Min 5 Max 20 (cmH2O)
44 2.66 2.25 RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P) A-Flex x3 APAP (Variable) Min 4 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Hope this helps.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 377 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,011 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 330 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.