Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
The nurse at my doc's office is saying not to use Dawn as it may be too harsh on the machine, hose, etc. 

She recommended several options, but unfortunately, the only ones I can remember this instant is Ivory or 7th Generation. Essentially, only very mild soaps. 

Dawn is used to clean oil on animals (from oil spills, etc), so while it's gentle enough for skin, perhaps it's not for our lungs? 

What do you guys think? 

I was thinking of going 7th Generation since it's supposed to be a very mild soap, but am open to trying others, such as Ivory (I know that 7th Generation will likely be the most expensive out of the bunch as it's eco friendly, etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
I don't use Dawn (not sure if it's even available here) but I've been washing my stuff in ti-tree oil handwash and/or Palmolive dishwashing liquid for years. My humidifier tub is over 5 years old and still looks like new. Remember that you need to give everything a thorough rinse in clear hot water to remove any soap or detergent - that is sufficient to prevent any potential damage.

I think your nurse is exercising an over-abundance of caution.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this is outside of the nurse's area of expertise. I and others have used dawn for years without any adverse effects. I've been using the same F20 cushion for 23 months and it has been washed regularly with Dawn. As for my lungs, I rinse it off. I probably inhale more dawn vapor washing dishes than from my CPAP equipment. I've never noticed any residual odor. Since dawn never touches the machine it can't harm it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used whatever we happen to have in the hand-pump beside our kitchen sink.  Warm water, wet a finger with Soap Ex, or El Cheapo, and I have even used Dawn, and clean the mask.  I rinse my hose the same way, but I also sterilize them both with potassium metabisulphite in solution.  Naturally, the sensible thing to do is to rinse it in either case, and thoroughly.

I'm into month 15 with the same mask and hose.  Also, if it matters, I only wash them about once a week, not daily.

People make stuff up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I plan on using Dawn or similar!
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawn is one of the strongest detergent soaps on the market. Since every mask that I have purchased say "mild soap" on the directions that is what I use. (they are NOT called suggestions, but directions) Read the ingredient statement. Where is it? It does say if you or a child ingest it dilute with a glass of water. That's great, now with aerophagia and Dawn I can be blowing bubbles all day / night long.  I could care less what it does to my Cpap equipment but I do care about breathing it all night long. especially with scents and dyes.  Read this:

https://www.practiganic.com/2014/05/dish...c.html?m=1
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW. Seventh Generation didn't fare to well either and isn't it strange "Ivory" does not say 99.9% pure?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Dawn to clean my CPAP equipment. Once everything has been washed, it gets a good rinse with hot water. 

I can't comment on whether or not it's too harsh on the equipment, but it all gets replaced often enough anyways. As far as any lingering aromas go, I can't detect any.

But......now knowing what I do, the next trip to the store, I'll take a good look at other options.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a humidifier, so I don't have to worry about cleaning that. But Dawn would be the thing I would use. It works, it works well, and it's easily available.

Soap generally leaves a film residue behind, especially in hard water. Detergents will generally rinse clean.

As far as getting it in your lungs? Rinse well and air dry. I understand that some people are more sensitive to perfumes than others, and extra rinsing or soaking to dilute the aroma might be required.

My daily routine is to take apart and wash my mask cushions under running warm water and either soap or a little bit of Dawn on my fingertips. Then rinse and air dry.

Weekly, I fill the sink with warm water and a little Dawn, and soak the mask, headgear, and hose for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse well and air dry. As far as being harsh and breaking down materials: I've never seen that happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Dawn when I clean my equipment. Except for replacement P10 pillows, I'm still using all the original masks and hoses that I got 5 years ago. I would have to say that that throws the doctor's office theory out the door.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,719 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 449 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.