Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
RE: Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
I have been using Dawn for the past 12 years. My experience is only anecdotal, but I understand what is in the dish detergent, and Dawn has some of the most effective surfactants, cleaners and degreasers of any. It is used to clean wildlife after an oil spill, it's good enough for me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2019, 11:40 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: The nurse at my doc's office is saying not to use Dawn as it may be too harsh on the machine, hose, etc. 

She recommended several options, but unfortunately, the only ones I can remember this instant is Ivory or 7th Generation. Essentially, only very mild soaps. 

Dawn is used to clean oil on animals (from oil spills, etc), so while it's gentle enough for skin, perhaps it's not for our lungs? 

What do you guys think? 

I was thinking of going 7th Generation since it's supposed to be a very mild soap, but am open to trying others, such as Ivory (I know that 7th Generation will likely be the most expensive out of the bunch as it's eco friendly, etc).

vroomvroom- 

Do you go to Kaiser?  That's what they recommended to me as well. They suggested Palmolive, Joy or Ivory.  While I only use Dawn on my dishes, pots, etc. (always have), I decided to play it safe and bought a small bottle of Palmolive for my cpap stuff. I think it cost a whole dollar and will probably last 6 months to a year!...lol.  

Btw, the rt mentioned to me yesterday that oil from your skin gets on your mask seal and can lead to leakage...hmmmm?  So, I am being diligent about the daily washing of the actual Eson2/p10. - -  I think I'll clean the hose/vent piece just once a week.  -  I'm also emptying the humidifier, rinsing with hot water & air drying every day;  I'm not sure if that's overkill, but I know others do something similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Dawn to clean my hose, humidifier water chamber, and mask for about 2 years now. My mask cushion is about 1 year old, due to changing sizes on occasion. The other parts are closer to the 2 year old mark. I let the parts soak in the Dawn / warm water combo for a while, then rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Admitting that I don't wash the parts as often as some others. I follow the round to it timing for cleaning, that is whenever I get around to it I'll clean it.

Oh yeah note that I've got COPD as well. And no the slack cleaning pattern has nothing to do with the illness.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't anyone get me wrong. I said I could care less about the Cpap equipment, but do care about myself. Therefore I choose not to use Dawn. You may choose to use it and certainly that is your right. I seen someone post the other day on another forum they never wash their Cpap hose. Does this mean I should never wash my hose? Absolutely not. By the way we use Dawn soap to wash our pots and pans because some of the ingredients (including surfactants) cut grease better than most. I thank God P&G donates much product to clean wildlife after we screw up the environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Earlier I saw a recent do's/dont's about masks.  One "don't" that I didn't know about was, "don't hang your mask with the straps"...I guess it can gradually stretch them out...?
Post Reply Post Reply
I hang mine by the straps. Have since night #1. The mask / pillow doesn't weigh enough to be a concern. 

I find it to be out of the way that way, and doesn't take up any space on my bedside stand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring Bear Wrote:Btw, the rt mentioned to me yesterday that oil from your skin gets on your mask seal and can lead to leakage...hmmmm? So, I am being diligent about the daily washing of the actual Eson2/p10.

Having clean skin before bed is the key to keeping the mask in good condition. I always have a quick shave and wash & dry my face thoroughly last thing before going to bed. On occasions when I've neglected to do this I tend to get extra leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2019, 08:08 AM)michael9346 Wrote: BTW. Seventh Generation didn't fare to well either and isn't it strange "Ivory" does not say 99.9% pure?

99-44/100ths Wink

Dawn is fine.  Personally, I use baby shampoo.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used Dawn first, and got through P10 Pillows about 1 per month.  Switched to Purdoux and they last about 3 months.  Dawn seems to attack the material.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2019, 08:05 AM)michael9346 Wrote: Dawn is one of the strongest detergent soaps on the market. Since every mask that I have purchased say "mild soap" on the directions that is what I use. (they are NOT called suggestions, but directions) Read the ingredient statement. Where is it? It does say if you or a child ingest it dilute with a glass of water. That's great, now with aerophagia and Dawn I can be blowing bubbles all day / night long.  I could care less what it does to my Cpap equipment but I do care about breathing it all night long. especially with scents and dyes.  Read this:

https://www.practiganic.com/2014/05/dish...c.html?m=1

Wow, scary link! I've never heard of the two other brands that fared well.

What do you think about Dr. Bronner's soap? Costco has the peppermint variety, but it's definitely scented, and I would need to significantly dilute it (maybe for CPAP purposes dilute with 6 parts water?)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 187 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 215 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,887 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 316 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 572 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 492 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,373 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.