Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
RE: Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP
I used Dawn to clean my mask for many years with no issues. Then about six months ago the residual smell started bothering me at night so I switched to using diluted baby shampoo, about a teaspoon per pint of water in a beauty sprayer. I don’t know whether Dawn changed their formulation or whether it was just my senses overreacting.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Doctor Bronner's Sal Suds for my PAP equipment and also for dishes and general cleaning. Very good natural non-toxic ingredients, super concentrated (only need a couple of drops), and it rinses off completely and easily even in hard water.

One of the few cleaners that the EWG gives a top rating to.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply
According to my DME rep, they said that regular Dawn should work, but to avoid the one that says Antibacterial. I use the generic version of the regular Dawn.

Other options they mentioned, were mild soaps without antibacterials in them, like baby shampoo. Dawn was just the easiest for me to buy, but I only had my machine and original set of equipment for a month and a half now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Dawn since I started therapy in 2014. I'm still using my original mask. The trick is to keep the CPAP parts out of direct sunlight. Plastics have to have a UV inhibitor added to its recipe when it is being injected to retard degradation. Since this additive adds to the part's cost, and repeat sales are planned, I doubt it is added to any of the parts.

- This is just my opinion.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been alternating between Dr. Bronner's unscented, Seventh Generation Free and Clear, and CPAP wipes. I think that we're getting a much better seal on the F30 on the nights we use the Seventh Generation.

I looked for an unscented Dawn, but even their clear has fragrance. I know that fragrances usually use a toxic base, so we ruled Dawn out.

FWIW, in a CPAP mask fitting advice column I found when searching "expert CPAP mask fitting," the advice included not to use any dishwashing liquid since it leaves a residue that builds up over time affecting the seal. However, I have not seen that repeated elsewhere so I'm seeking verification or corroboration of some sort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Dawn as well and no problems. But.....there have been other times I use whatever dish soap my wife happened to purchase. 

It's all good............. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I just found this after reading this thread and researching the issue. It was on the ResMed web site.  My DME lady told me to use Dawn when I picked up my equipment.  I guess I will change.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Would johnson baby shampoo be okay for cpap parts? We have some and it's the most mild thing we have in the house. I didn't know because it's a shampoo if that's an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 10:13 PM)Doom House Wrote: Would johnson baby shampoo be okay for cpap parts?  We have some and it's the most mild thing we have in the house.  I didn't know because it's a shampoo if that's an issue.

You'll be fine using that. Myself, I don't feel that CPAP parts and/or equipment is all that fragile or sensitive to soaps. It's just various plastics and silicons.
Post Reply Post Reply
My provider suggested Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. More expensive than Dawn, but a $5 bottle lasts over a year. Because I rinse well, any scent that remains smells like a baby -- which is a wonderful scent to this 76 year old nose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 211 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 253 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,907 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 333 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 589 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 504 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,394 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.