Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2 Therapy With Sinus Issues
O2 Therapy With Sinus Issues
Folks, I had a sleep apnea test and don't have sleep apnea, but It appears that I spent 90% of the time recorded at an oxygen level < 90%.

so I'm looking for a mask / whatever it's called. I have sinus issues, so would really appreciate some recommendations for a good type of equipment I could look in to.

I don't know anything about this equipment. Ideally I'd not want a mask. I think I'd like the type of oxygen delivery that sits under the nose so I could breathe in the oxygen either from my nose or mouth, but it looks like all of those have tubes going to either side of the face, and I sleep on my side so those wouldn't be comfortable at all.

really hope to get some good recommendations!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 Therapy With Sinus Issues
Resmed Airfit P10. This is a nasal pillows mask that has a minimal interface, and comfortably fits under the nose. It has a flexible tube coming off the nasal pillows frame, but the mask works fine for sleeping on your side, and is very quiet, without any blowing air vents.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes that does look like the sort of mask I'd like. I see in the photo it fits over the nose, but does it also allow for taking in the O2 thru the mouth?

I'd like a few more suggestions if anyone has any :-)

say, could you define nasal pillow for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the definition, the pillows seal around the nose.

would anyone else have a suggestion of the gear I might like? My issue is my sinuses are often clogged so I don't breathe thru my nose very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does that also allow for taking in the O2 thru the mouth Sleeprider?
Post Reply Post Reply
Joe, the nasal pillows are intended to be used with the mouth closed and using the back of your tongue to exclude pressure from reaching the mouth. The miracle of the nasal pillows is that they apply pressure directly to the nose and will open sinuses. I recently had the congestion, cough and fever that was going around, and the nasal pillows worked to keep me comfortable and breathing, clearing the congestion, at least while I slept. In nearly 10 years of using nasal pillows, I have never had congestion or a sinus infection that required me to use a full face mask.

You might think nasal masks or full face helps congestion, but those masks actually put physical pressure on the front of your face right where the sinuses are located, and they can aggravate existing congestion. Not nasal pillows. Try em, you'll like em.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joe, have to agree with Sleeprider. I had O2 levels >90 for 46% of the time during my sleep study. They dropped to a low of 68%. I went with the AirFit P10 nasal pillows and use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I have checked my oxygen levels with a pulse oximeter and they are typically above 95% all night. Can really feel the difference in mental sharpness and ability to workout harder.

Good luck with your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh great advice guys! What's a good chin strap??
Post Reply Post Reply
OK folks, I've been on O2 therapy for two nights now, can't say I feel any difference. How long does it take to start feeling better with more energy and mental sharpness??
Post Reply Post Reply
With sleep apnea, it may take a few months. I don't know about oxygenation purposes.
Do you have a data recording pulse oximeter? That would let you discover if you were sufficiently oxygenated during sleep, or if you needed something more, such as an oxygen concentrator or an actual oxygen tank.

There are several reviews of these in the Product Reviews section. I have a CMS50D+ which is OK, but you'll want the instructions for uploading the data from Supplier #19 as they are tricky.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 3 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,360 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.