Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2 drop with CPAP
O2 drop with CPAP
I need some help / advice. 

I have a recording Pulse oximeter for O2 levels.  Because I felt like my O2 was dropping, particularly during sleep wake transitions.  Even while wearing the CPAP.  

what is considered normal?  Routinely dropping down in the mid 80s.  Mine just dropped to 84 tonight.  8 mins into trying to fall asleep.  

How bad is this?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 drop with CPAP
A spike to 85% is a non-issue as generally spikes should just be ignored. Any significant time below 88% requires action, usually supplemental oxygen.

That will take an overnight monitoring by certified equipment.

A hallmark of some COVID-19 is low oxygen, often much lower than 88% and without the typical symptoms for low sats. Several doctors have stated that O2 Sats of 92% should be evaluated for COVID-19. I believe, don't know, they meant consistent levels under 92% and while awake. I have not found any other documentation on this.documentation on this.

Bottom line, if your oxygen levels are consistently low it could be extremely significant.
Post Reply Post Reply
o2sat% drop while falling asleep is common. Best make a few longer recordings and then take them to a pulmonologist that knows your health history to make sure whether any action is necessary. Depending on your max o2sat% you could potentially add some o2 from a concentrator.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies.  Doubtful I have covid.  Got tested weeks ago and I can workout and have no true symptoms (besides probably anxiety) during the day. 

I can’t get in touch with any of my doctors and they don’t take my claims of O2 drops seriously.  Seems to get worse everyday. 

5 days ago I had 3 O2 drops all night and tonight 37.  CPAP doesn’t register an AHI most of the time either.  It keeps waking me up as soon as I fall asleep at night.  Ugh, I’m very discouraged.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry with a chart like that. But you only have one value and you never said it was a spike or that values returned to normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, not sure what you mean by only one value.  

But okay, so when it happens and wakes me up, just roll over and try to go back to sleep?  I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are doing the right thing,

The only value you provided in the OP was 84. That number is alarming if, and only if it stays there for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
The downward spike might reflect the device losing contact. If it attaches to a finger, I wonder whether you could tape it in place without harming the device when you remove the tape.

Can you further describe the sensation that you are not getting enough oxygen?
Post Reply Post Reply
It definitely isn’t a loss of contact.  I used 2 other oximeters as well and all of them are consistent. The other two my family watched It only happens as I am initially falling asleep.  Last night took 8 mins from when I put on the CPAP. 

I feel like my breath gets shallow, like I’m only using a small part of my lungs, like my body forgets to breath.  And everything feels heavy like a numbness across my whole body.  Usually then I wake up and look and that’s when my O2 is in the 80s.  Last night it stayed at 84 for 20-30 seconds for the first time. 

It’s the only time it happens - if it happens while I’m sleeping during the night - I don’t notice it and the Oximeter doesn’t pick it up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Massive O2 saturation drop last night... SufiMindtricks 8 887 09-26-2022, 01:33 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Does anyone else find that urination causes their SPO2 to drop? Sleepy Willy 7 905 08-10-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  oxygen levels drop overnight oldstyle 3 811 03-27-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  O2ring shows huge gradual drop in spO2 over half hour with new DS2. Cord tangling? aolamid 9 1,082 02-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: aolamid
  SPo2 drop cberistain 12 1,419 01-17-2022, 10:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Small AHI, Big Oxygen Drop! S. Manz 5 871 10-24-2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: S. Manz
  [Treatment] After years of successful treatment: a Big jump in AHI and drop in restfulness AtRest 28 2,451 05-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: AtRest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.